A laptop that can fit these requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrguy45

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
1_What is your budget?

Preferably $600-$700

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15.6" looks to be the best as it has 16:9 aspect ratio.

3_What screen resolution do you want?

1366x768 appears to be standard with 15.6"

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

I plan on having it plugged in almost the entire time, but it needs to be cool enough to sit on my lap during full use and not burn me...

5_How much battery life do you need?

It will be plugged in pretty much all the time

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low, Medium or High)?

I like to run emulators. I've only done up to PJ64 emulating N64 at this point (which is EASY) but the ability to run Gamecube games would be great if possible. I also would like to play some regular computer games, but not high end ones of course. I have an Xbox 360 for current games (and I prefer a controller for FPS anyway) so it would probably just be, well, what would be considered oldish or lowish end.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Photoshop, Illustrator, Video Editing, Music Production (think Reason 4, etc), and well, I can't think of anything else that's that intensive apart from if I tried making a simple 3D game...

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

250 GB is the lowest I think most laptops have these days. I'm not too concerned with it as I plan on getting a networked 1TB drive eventually. Of course, 320+ GB and 7200 RPM HDD would be great, but only if it just happens to come with a laptop that already has the other requirements. 5400 - 7200 RPM doesn't make a huge difference for things does it?

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

3 years maybe? I plan on getting a 3 year warranty with it (although this isn't included in my listed budget). After that, I'd probably just give it to someone and get a new one if this one isn't good enough.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer, Bluray ROM/Writer, Etc?

Just a regular "supermulti" or whatever they call the standard drive. If I'm correct, they can read and write CDs, DVDs, Dual Layer DVDs, etc? Blu Ray is far too expensive. How much do the 8X, 16X speeds change things? I think I normally see 8X for most laptops I think.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Okay, Intel Core 2 Duo would be preferable as it is faster than comparable AMDs (as far as I know) and I hate AMD Athlon's heat output (ouch). Too bad the integrated graphics chip that comes with Intel's processors is the utterly terrible 4500MHD... I really don't know what to do :??:

So there's the Intel laptops with the better CPU, terrible integrated graphics (unless I could somehow get a dedicated graphics card in my budget), or the too hot, less powerful AMD Athlons with much better integrated graphics. Also, I've read a little about Athlon 64 X2 vs Turion 64 X2, but could someone explain to me how good each one is, how much cooler the Turion is, etc?

13_What country do you live in?

United States

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I want 4 GB of DDR3 RAM with Windows 7 64-bit. I think a 5-in-1 card reader is in most laptops and I definitely want one.

Does a 1066Mhz FBS make a big difference compared to an 800Mhz FBS?

Also, N capable wifi would be much desired.

Um, I can't think of much else (unless I'm forgetting something).

mrguy45

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6834115675

That laptop seems pretty decent for your needs. :) Does have a Nvidia 130m :ange:

Wow, that looks like a great computer. I noticed that some people are getting 240s instead of 130s though. Would it be best if I contact newegg first and asked them which one I would get?

Just one more question, DDR2 VRAM works well right?

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

It's just the mix of the batch. They advertise the 130m though, so you should be expecting that one. I wouldn't think it's necessary to contact them about it. If you get a 240m thats sweet, but if you get the 130m it's what you should be expecting.. Happens a lot actually... Haha.

As far as the DDR2 ram goes on Video RAM, it's a pretty significant leap from DDR3 or GDDR3. Just like GDDR5 is a heck of a lot better than GDDR3. Performance in multimedia may not be very notice able but DDR2 vram could cripple a GPUs performance in gaming. Of course though, that 130m is going to kill any integrated graphics. I'm going to look around though and see if I can find a DDR3 gpu for under 700.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I've looked almost everywhere and I cannot find a laptop that has vram that is DDR3 for under $850ish... That laptop that I posted is the best bang for buck I can find in your price range. I've been looking for about an hour straight on newegg, walmart, best buy, circuit city, tigerdirect, 1toppc.com, and xoticpc.com. I really can't find anything better than that... I'm sorry :(

mrguy45

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
When I looked at the 130M on notebookcheck.com it listed it as only having either DDR3 or GDDR3 memory. Is this a mistake on their part or on newegg's part?

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_130m_us.html

http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?LanguageISOCtxParam=en&kcond61e.c2att101=60964&sp=page16e&ctx2.c2att1=25&link=ln438e&CountryISOCtxParam=US&ctx1g.c2att92=447&ctx1.att21k=1&CRC=2432602120#wrAjaxHistory=0

Acer doesn't have info on DDR2 or DDR3 vram, and Nvidia says it's either DDR2 or GDDR3... I'd take it to assume that Newegg is right and it's DDR2.

mrguy45

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
Well, considering the best I could find for that price with a Core 2 Duo was 4500MHD (aka unacceptable), even DDR2 would blow that (and all other integrated) out of the water completely.

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Yep, I would estimate that 130m is at least 30x faster than Intel's 4500. It does have 32 stream processors which is equivalent to the 8600gt in one of my desktops, and I can say that thing can play World of Warcraft on ultra with a solid 30-40fps. :)

That being said as long as you're not looking to play some thing like Crysis on High or Very High fluently then the 130m will be fine. And who knows, you might get that 240m!

P.S. My older 8600gt can also play Crysis on Medium/High settings. :D

mrguy45

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I found another laptop that comes with the 240M and although they don't list which type of graphics memory it uses (Nvidia lists DR2, DDR3, or GDDR3), anywhere I see that computer listed or talked about elsewhere, it says GDDR3. Now, I've heard different conflicting things about the differences between these memory types, but GDDR3 is faster than both of the others, right?

fgocards

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Yes, GDDR3 is the fastest type of video memory out of those three, that's correct. In order it's GDDR5, GDDR3, DDR3, and DDR2. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.