Sign in with
Your question

Just Picked up an Athlon Xp2700+

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
March 15, 2003 2:40:18 PM

I was gonna hold off on the barton's cpu until they were released but now that i've seen them I still choose to go with the regular t-bred. I do plan on overclocking but Also want to stay as close to stock voltage as possible. And clock speed is also more important to me than cache.

The core and stepping I have it

AMD Athlon
AXDA2700DKV3D
AIUHB0246MPMW

I believe the second line shows the year and the date of the processor, or someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I think I should be able to hit atleast 2.33 Ghz to 2.4 ghz with air cooling. Currently running an Volcano 7+ HSF and 4 80mm Case fans.

I also looking at a SLK800 HSF if I find the Volcano 7+ fails to meet my needs. But its been excellent so far.
But then again i've been using a slower clocked cpu only time will tell.

More about : picked athlon xp2700

March 15, 2003 3:31:44 PM

Dont expect to much out of that week 46 2002 Chip.....people with T-Bred 'B' 1700+'s will be clocking higher than you..... assuming they have 0302 batch....which most people do that have T-Bred 'B' 1700+'s......so i wouldnt expect to much of a high end overclock....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
March 15, 2003 6:47:40 PM

Well anyways, the XP2700 is 2.13GHZ, so it should not be expected to reach this much compared to the Bartons. However 2.3-2.4GHZ is not a hard target and I doubt he will run into problems.
The Volcano 7+ should be more than adequate since Tbred Bs are very cool.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
Related resources
March 15, 2003 8:12:11 PM

I should still get reasonable results. And the barton was not worth the money in my eye. A XP2800 Barton would have cost me $200 more than a Xp2700+ slower clock speed and more cache would have been the difference.

A XP2500 would have been a better deal but Like I said overclocking and keeping close to stock voltages is my goal. Heat is very important to me. I don't want to be running a 1.85v on the T-bred chip!

I also like the fact that is If have to run the chip @ default clock speed and voltage. it will be running @ 2.16 instead of 1.47 ghz with an Athlon XP1700+

to get the 1700+ above 2 ghz and above requires quite the voltage increase to keep her steady and that is not what I want.
March 15, 2003 10:14:13 PM

Not necessarily. The XP1700+ is a downbinned CPU, and most have been able to clock 2GHZ with 1.65V, which is safe and a very nice overclock.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
March 16, 2003 2:08:17 AM

02 = year 2002
46 = week 46
AIUHB = steppin code

proly wont overclock that much... but then again, not many XP2700+'s will cauz they are nearer the limit.

should have saved your $$$ and got a slower tbred and overclocked that.

<b>Paying for Sex didn’t mean you couldn’t get it any other way – it meant that you could afford the convenience option, same as any other service.</b>
March 16, 2003 4:11:50 PM

Well I'll find out 2morrow. And the money wasn't much of an issue. I'll post my results, I still think I'll be able to hit 2.3-2.4 ghz range. But if not ahwell I'll be happy with the stock speed. My apartment gets hot in the summer, so the cpu will be running STock for most of the summer unless I get a new AC.

Also I wasn't able to hand pick my CPU, the store I bought it has them as special orders. Cause not many people are buying the highend cpu's as the lower ones.

I should be in the 15k range in 3dmark now. Was doing about 13,500 with my XP1800+ @ Xp2000 speed on a 333fsb.

Wish me luck guys!
March 16, 2003 9:11:40 PM

I hope you use your system for more than just 3dmarking.

<b>Paying for Sex didn’t mean you couldn’t get it any other way – it meant that you could afford the convenience option, same as any other service.</b>
March 16, 2003 10:51:59 PM

how do you think the barton 2500 will OC ? Is there reasonable headroom or is it near its limit?

<b>Hey All! Check out my new <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new"><font color=red> webpage </font color=red></A>dealing with hardware / software support and many computer tweaks!</b>
March 16, 2003 10:57:48 PM

Of course I do. The main reasons I got the faster cpu was for gaming and I plan to do some DVD ripping also where faster clock speed helps alot. I just like to use 3dmark for a basis on cpu and videocard performance.

I'm not one of those 3dmark junies. Who formats his computer cause a new video driver makes him loose 200 3dmark points.

I've recently spent alot upgrading my system in the last 3 months about 2,000 CDN. But I had set a goal for my system and its about 95% done. once its done I won't be adding anymore compontents or upgrading for alteast 1 1/2 years to 2 years.

And unlike some others in here i'm not on mommy and daddys budget.

Just a Techy who likes to have a close to top end pc. That meets my gaming and other needs.

I would be a fool just to spend that much money for extra 3dmark points.

Just my 2c

But i'm glad for the responses guys. I can't say I have faith in some of toms benchs anymore. But I can always come here to find insiteful knowledge and most people that know what they are talking about.
March 16, 2003 11:30:16 PM

Why is everyone worrying?

For starters, Barton has a much bigger dissipation area, which is good for cooling.
Secondly, at 1.83GHZ, being based on the Tbred B design, refined 0.13m, it should reach 2.3GHZ very easily on decent air cooling. Am I guaranteeing it? No, but I do think it is within reach.

--
March 17, 2003 12:03:09 AM

hehehe so you say... but once its fully upgraded the temptation will allways be there to upgrad a little bit more... and more.. and MORE :smile:

P.S. and i only ever pay attention to very select benchmarks.
Synthetic ones NO. And only programs that I use... Games and divx encoding.

March 17, 2003 12:05:36 AM

Havnt you been reading the threads?
The XP2500+ bartie is at the bottom of the speed heap, promising very good overclocks, provided you get a good batch and core code.

March 17, 2003 2:27:59 AM

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic, but what does the batch and core code have to do with how good a chip performs or overclocks? So what your saying is I could buy a cpu, and you could buy the same one, and yours could be so much better then mine? What should I look for when i buy the cpu?

<b>Hey All! Check out my new <A HREF="http://www3.sympatico.ca/rdykens" target="_new"><font color=red> webpage </font color=red></A>dealing with hardware / software support and many computer tweaks!</b>
March 17, 2003 2:58:04 AM

The core code and release week have alot to do with overclocking. Some batches are naturally better at overclocking than others, due to slight differences with silicon purity, thermal/voltage characteristic's etcetcetc.

You have to remember with overclocking nothing is 100%. MOST low end tbred B's overclock to beyond 2Ghz... but a few dont. (thus the reason why they were labeled and sold as tbred XP1700+'s.)
Generally though with low end tbred's and bartons they should overclock relaibly.

March 17, 2003 3:24:55 AM

Your right the temptation will always be there. You just have to know when to stop. Upgrading every 6 months can get rather expensive.

Though it does have it benefits, where as the resale value is higher the less amount of time you have the hardware.
March 17, 2003 11:31:01 PM

Aight i'm back with my XP2700+ installed. So far what i've noticed it my idle temps are identical to my overclocked paly but with a cpu 500mhz faster so i'm impressed.

now on to the overclocking. I've done 166x13.5 so XP2800+ speed stable no problem. And right now i'm at 166x14 so 2.33 Ghz running Toast and writing this post so far stable.

My volcano 7+ is at medium fan speed and my 4 case fans are at half speed expect for the one blowing air on the cpu.

with toast running for about 8 mins my Full load temp is 43c
@ 2.33ghz.

I'm gonna try for 166x14.5 after I finished testing this.

Also whatelse can I use for testing stability of this overclock. So far been using Toast and 3dmark loops and everything is stable.

My specs
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172&l...;/A>
March 18, 2003 12:46:39 AM

All of that was @ Default Vcore 1.65
Currently trying a 180fsb at the moment.
March 18, 2003 1:41:48 AM

Wow, I'm quite impressed temperature-wise. I doubt you need to check for stability any further man, TOAST and 3dMark 01 IMO are good enough. No one IMO should hassle himself testing for 24 hours just to find stability in his system, no way.

I think you can reach 2.4GHZ, with some tweaking. I'd be very surprised if it all worked on the 4800rpm setting of your Volcano 7+. That'd be impressive, since it's only intermediate cooling, and yet your temps are relatively low.
I am really happy that the AMDs are truly becoming state-of-the-art cool systems, but wish cooling companies would lay off noisy coolers, since the new 0.13m batches and upcoming 0.09m (applies to Intel as well), definitly won't require 5000RPM Retail coolers or commercial ones, just to cool properly. I think the whole situation about hot CPU=noisy cooling is overrated, A LOT. It was true before, but people are making a huge deal out of it now still, when it longer applies.

--
March 18, 2003 2:17:57 AM

I was reading that some of the T-bred B's have issues with High FSBs on certain boards. I think I might have just expericed it. Trying a 185 fsb gave me no boot. I will have to test upping the Vcore abit.

I am using PC2700 ram on my rig with 2-2-2-5 Timings, but I don't think that would prevent a boot. So need to fool around with it somemore.

I never mentioned my idle temps are 35c
Default XP2700+ speed.
March 18, 2003 3:25:03 AM

i gaurantee your ram is holding u back.......

2-2-2-5 is VERY aggresive settings and doing that at 19MHz above the rated speed of the ram will cause for instability trust me.....

Ive got PC2700 DDR RAM also and if i wanna go above a 166MHz FSB i have to tone down the ram timings in the BIOS b4 i jump the FSB that high.......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
March 18, 2003 8:19:28 PM

Maybe be but with my previous chip I was able to boot into windows and run sisoft @ 200fsb with the memory at Cas 2-2-2-5. Thought It would exit to desktop during 3dmark runs.

As it is right now i'm need to grab another stick of ram to enable dual channel on the board. I might just grab 2 sticks of Dual channel OCZ pc3500 ram if I do find the ram holding me back.
I won't mind running a 200mhz fsb which gives a nice increase in speed.
March 19, 2003 10:46:12 AM

OCZ EL memory is the best you can have.

--
March 19, 2003 8:11:08 PM

That is what I plan on getting dual channel optimized EL 512 x 2. I will have to sell my 512 stick of OCZ PC2700.
!