Problem with product key when reinstalling XP

I've just been trying to reinstall an OEM version of XP to correct some bugs
in my PC. When I get to the point of entering the product key it says it is
not valid. I'm pretty confident the software is genuine - holograms etc are
all as they should be, etc - but the original installation of XP on the PC
seems to be different to the product key I'm using. I'm wondering if an OEM
version will not install without a hard drive re-format if there is an
existing version of XP already installed. Or is this just a problem with
the validity of my product key? If the latter, what can I do about it?
3 answers Last reply
More about problem product reinstalling

    If you did not make major hardware changes, it should install w/o problems -
    assuming the OEM XP came w/ the hardware. Call the OEM seller.

    Otherwise, check with MS for buying a license:
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    Michael
    "Chris" <toffdool@bigpond.com> wrote in message
    > I've just been trying to reinstall an OEM version of XP to correct some
    > bugs in my PC. When I get to the point of entering the product key it
    > says it is not valid. I'm pretty confident the software is genuine -
    > holograms etc are all as they should be, etc - but the original
    > installation of XP on the PC seems to be different to the product key I'm
    > using. I'm wondering if an OEM version will not install without a hard
    > drive re-format if there is an existing version of XP already installed.
    > Or is this just a problem with the validity of my product key? If the
    > latter, what can I do about it?

    Chris,
    Are you doing a windows repair or a re-install? If you are trying to
    install another copy of XP over an original you will run in to problems. You
    should reformat. Another basic check is to make sure you are typing the key
    in correctly.

    Chris wrote:
    > I've just been trying to reinstall an OEM version of XP to correct some bugs
    > in my PC. When I get to the point of entering the product key it says it is
    > not valid. I'm pretty confident the software is genuine - holograms etc are
    > all as they should be, etc - but the original installation of XP on the PC
    > seems to be different to the product key I'm using. I'm wondering if an OEM
    > version will not install without a hard drive re-format if there is an
    > existing version of XP already installed. Or is this just a problem with
    > the validity of my product key? If the latter, what can I do about it?

    You need to examine the Product Key very carefully. It's awfully
    easy to mistake a "B" for an "8," a "G" for a "6," an "S" for a "5," or
    a "Q" for a "0" or "O." Fortunately, Microsoft had the good sense to
    leave the "1's," "I's," "O's," and "0's" out of the equation. Also, be
    sure that your <CapsLock> is _off_ while entering the Product Key --
    this isn't supposed to make a difference, but I've seen it do so, on
    rare occasions.

    Troubleshooting Invalid CD Key Error Message During Windows XP Setup
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310637

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: