Chrome and Gold Chrome flippers are here

Last response: in Video Games
June 23, 2005 11:43:54 AM

Manic wrote:
> Ch-ch-cheeeeeesy IMO but I'm sure others will think
> they are great ;-)
>

> "twilightzonepinball" <tomwible@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8f4tt/tomstwilightzonepinb...
> >
> > -Tom

Man,
I would have loved to put these on my T2. However, $22.00each x 2 =
$44.00 + shipping = Way too much for flipper bats. If they were $14/set
I'd grab a pair.

John
June 23, 2005 11:45:29 AM

Good work, but I agree with Manic, chrome and gold always look fake-o
and cheesy imho. If we could get some machined out of a solid block of
aluminum, and then polished and anodized to different colors, it might
look more sturdy and less cheesy.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 11:51:30 AM

>Ch-ch-cheeeeeesy IMO but I'm sure others will think they are great ;-)

The triva of the day is- "what has the least amount of cheese on Tom's
site?"

I would guess the chrome plated plastic flipper bats have the lowest
cheese factor, but that isn't saying much.

Kirb
June 23, 2005 12:56:24 PM

will these fit on newer Sterns? Gold might look good on LOTR. Chrome
on a Capcom Airborne...
June 23, 2005 12:56:47 PM

John Wart, jr wrote:
> Kinda reminds me of the truck I passed on the way to work this morning..
>
> Looked like it'd crashed down the Lund aisle at autozone and 2 of
> everything stuck...

Did it have curb feelers?

The flippers look really cool, but too much money. I'd like to see how
long it takes for the chrome to start coming off the plastic. Let us
know in a few months how they hold up. Hopefully Tom has tested them
for at least that long before putting them up for sale.

John
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:01:52 PM

I don't think they would look good on anything accept Bally/Williams
since they have the Wms logo on them.
Bill
June 23, 2005 1:11:02 PM

Since they are totally non-original looking anyway, he should make them
in generic form without the W so can be used on any games with that
flipper style....
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:11:44 PM

How do you crome plastic? I thought only metal could be cromed?
-Luke
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:12:06 PM

are these plastic or metal?
wouldn't the chrome chip off if they are plastic from ball hits?
sure are nice looking though. MM would be worthy of these.
Dan

"twilightzonepinball" <tomwible@aol.com> wrote in message

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8f4tt/tomstwilightzonepinb...

> -Tom

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:30:24 PM

It's not chrome at all, it's aluminum. They use vacuum metallizing which
uses super high heat to melt the aluminum which is then injection
sprayed or atomized in an electrostatic vacuum chamber. The plastic
piece must first be painted with a conductive copper compound to make it
electrically chargeable. Check out my jukebox on my page for an example
of what a good metallizer can do to plastic :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!

No logo! they are also clear coated for durability. In person there is
no cheese, these are top quality. Just put them on my MM and they are
saweet!

-Tom
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:33:57 PM

These are not vacuum metalized, believe me. They are done with a new
process which is very shiny and durable. I am looking to do some other
plastic parts like the TZ clock housing in chrome. Maybe some other
colors as well. I may also be getting into rechroming parts if anyone
has the need.

-Tom

-Tom
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:36:50 PM

Too much bling for me. Maybe if they dont sell well you could sell them
to wear around your neck for that pin bling look LOL Just not for
me maybe others will buy them
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:46:44 PM

Wow. Very cool.

"twilightzonepinball" <tomwible@aol.com> wrote in message
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8f4tt/tomstwilightzonepinb...
>
> -Tom

June 23, 2005 2:12:41 PM

I dub these BLING-BATS !!!

-Tom
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:21:09 PM

The only other way then is airbrushing a simulated chrome or other
metallic. There are paints today that achieve this using microscopic
metal powders. Still, it is not chrome (chromium). It is aluminum. Your
flippers do look shiny like chrome and polished brass, I'll give ya
that. But remetallizing might be a better term rather than rechroming :)

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:25:23 PM

-

http://www.myhomegameroom.com

kirb wrote:
>>Ch-ch-cheeeeeesy IMO but I'm sure others will think they are great ;-)
>

> The triva of the day is- "what has the least amount of cheese on Tom's
> site?"
>
> I would guess the chrome plated plastic flipper bats have the lowest
> cheese factor, but that isn't saying much.
>
> Kirb

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:34:21 PM

Never built plastic models as a kid, huh?

"LStarrASL" <Lstarrasl@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do you crome plastic? I thought only metal could be cromed?
> -Luke

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 3:11:17 PM

Would these fit in new Stern games like LOTR ? The gold would look
cool on this game.
David...

Cliffy wrote:
> The only other way then is airbrushing a simulated chrome or other
> metallic. There are paints today that achieve this using microscopic
> metal powders. Still, it is not chrome (chromium). It is aluminum. Your
> flippers do look shiny like chrome and polished brass, I'll give ya
> that. But remetallizing might be a better term rather than rechroming :)
>
> twilightzonepinball wrote:
> > These are not vacuum metalized, believe me. They are done with a new
> > process which is very shiny and durable. I am looking to do some other
> > plastic parts like the TZ clock housing in chrome. Maybe some other
> > colors as well. I may also be getting into rechroming parts if anyone
> > has the need.
> >
> > -Tom
> >
> > -Tom
> >

> --
> Cliffy - CARGPB2
> A passion for pinball!
> http://www.passionforpinball.com
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 4:15:44 PM

> How do you crome plastic? I thought only metal could be cromed?

http://www.muellercorp.com/chromeplatingplastic.htm

"Vacuum metallizing"...like in model car kits for the chrome wheels and
parts you have to scrape off before you glue together. It doesn't stick
real well which is a downside.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu
June 23, 2005 4:37:15 PM

$22 per flipper is still really steep. If they were $22 for the pair
i'd buy a couple of sets. Good edition to TOM
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:02:55 PM

You are correct, I am using the term chrome really to describe the look
and not the process. They basically have a chrome finish like any other
plastic part. I do guarantee though that this is not like the chrome
parts that come with models. This is much better.

-Tom
June 23, 2005 5:05:26 PM

I believe a have two cans of this so called shiny, durable process, its
called Krylon! (3.99 per can, chrome and gold finish) I will paint any
flipper for 1.99 + shipping. Come one come all. Give me a break.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:25:15 PM

Dave wrote:
> I believe a have two cans of this so called shiny, durable process, its
> called Krylon! (3.99 per can, chrome and gold finish) I will paint any
> flipper for 1.99 + shipping. Come one come all. Give me a break.

Isn't Krylon Chrome and Gold Fusion something that can be used to
produce this? I'm gonna give it a shot. I think it is and it adheres to
plastic.

John
June 23, 2005 5:28:53 PM

I've used that Krylon stuff on a few things. It will work, but it
won't look as shiny and good as what Tom is selling. Try gold leafing
for an interesting look, more like solid gold!

John
June 23, 2005 5:32:16 PM

Will the pimping out of TZ EVER stop! I like mine just as it came from
the factory.

nomad
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:36:22 PM

heh heh :p  Not quite the same as a true metallizing airbrush paint but
definetly a better price!

Dave wrote:
> I believe a have two cans of this so called shiny, durable process, its
> called Krylon! (3.99 per can, chrome and gold finish) I will paint any
> flipper for 1.99 + shipping. Come one come all. Give me a break.

--
Cliffy - CARGPB2
A passion for pinball!
http://www.passionforpinball.com
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:43:23 PM

OOHHH..
the shiny and durable process.
that sounds highly scientific!
Dan

> These are not vacuum metalized, believe me. They are done with a new
> process which is very shiny and durable. I am looking to do some other
> plastic parts like the TZ clock housing in chrome. Maybe some other
> colors as well. I may also be getting into rechroming parts if anyone
> has the need.
>
> -Tom
>
> -Tom

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:07:30 PM

Heh. Me too,(almost).

Kind of make you wish they'd find another pin
to pick on.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
================================

nomad wrote:
> Will the pimping out of TZ EVER stop! I like mine just as it came from
> the factory.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:10:51 PM

>Kind of make you wish they'd find another pin
>to pick on.

People that like TZ have problems anyway, doesn't surprise me that they
focus so much on it.
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:28:14 PM

Hey Tom...sell me a SET for $22 and i'll put them to the test, and put
in a good word for you on RGP :)
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:58:19 PM

One flipper, coming up!

(JK)

I would be at a loss on that deal.

-Tom
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:18:06 PM

Pimp the Pub, Pimp the Pub
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:54:10 PM

caligallagher@yahoo.com wrote:
> Pimp the Pub, Pimp the Pub

Ripleys should be called R.I.P. (rest in pieces)

John
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:54:28 PM

caligallagher@yahoo.com wrote:
> Pimp the Pub, Pimp the Pub

Ripleys should be called R.I.P. (rest in pieces)

John
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 6:38:18 PM

isn't ripleys a pat lawlor design? thought i read that somewhere
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:16:51 PM

Nwojedi wrote:
> isn't ripleys a pat lawlor design? thought i read that somewhere

Yes, your point?
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 9:25:40 AM

>But Pat makes the best games.

What games since WMS are you talking about?

Kirb
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 9:33:48 AM

kirb wrote:
> >But Pat makes the best games.
>
> What games since WMS are you talking about?

*OUCH!* That was _brutal_, Kirb! :)
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 9:48:38 AM

Cliffy,
It's a new style og spraying a metal and clearing over it.
You can "chrome" anything.
I looked into getting a system, but the chemicals are hard to deal
with.
You also need a down draft paint booth and sometimes things will get
"cloudy" if something goes wrong.

This is one of the few places that is involved with "Reflective
Coatings"

http://www.spraychrome.com/o/sc1/index2.htm

Lee
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:02:23 AM

>> What games since WMS are you talking about?
>*OUCH!* That was _brutal_, Kirb! :)

Hehe....

Before all the TZ fans get out their pitchforks- Pat made some really
cool games. Some of them even hold sales records. Some are sought out
by collectors (I have 2 myself), but that was quite a few years ago. My
point is this- did Pat design some of the best Stern games? My answer
to that would be "NO, I don't think so".

Some opinions of Pat's games may vary, but don't expect me to agree.
Maybe his next effort will prove me wrong.

Kirb
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:43:46 AM

I like Monopoly, actually played it more than the MM next to it before
the arcade they were in closed. I think for me there is a huge
difference when you play them in the home and in the arcade.

-Tom

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8f4tt/tomstwilightzonepinb...
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:46:38 AM

>I like Monopoly, actually played it more than the MM
>next to it before the arcade they were in closed

Was the MM plugged in?

Kirb
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 11:37:11 AM

See, I havn't played any of Pats (stern) models. I just played
monopoly last week for the first time and wasn't to impressed with it.
My guess is Pat is saving is ass kickery ideas for when he starts
competing with sterns. I heard Rollercoaster tycoon was good thou.
Have yet to play it.
!