Any email address, generally shows a link when we point mouse on it, it says
something like "mail to: ..........hgharpure@hotmail.com". When we click the
link,
it invariably opens outlook express.

I use lotus notes as default mail program, it works when I right click any
file and point to "send to mail recipient" and opens lotus notes, but when I
click on an email ID, it opens outlook express.

How the link can be modified to point to lotus notes, or any third party
mail program.

harsh

"mail to:" is normally linked to the default email program (IMAP or pop).
You will need to change the default email program to Lotus Notes, if it
possible. Check in the Lotus Notes configuration.