i recently got a new dimenstion 8400. it came with xp home, which to
me is a huge joke and also like still being under parental control. I
have used win2k since it came out and it is the best o/s microsnot
ever did (imho). now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
about 4 devices. i have looked and looked to the point that google
wont even let me use their service anymore - jk. i need ethernet for
an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100), i need chipset
drivers, and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300. i have an
audigy sound card and drivers, if that doesnt work, i have a sblive!
card that i used in an 8300 with win2k, so the main things are
network card and video ( i got one from ati site and it refused to
work and i dont know if that was dell not allowing it or a bad
version...fyi. if anybody knows where i can find production quality
versions of these drivers, pleeeeeeeze let me know. aloha

I seem to recall that the Intel web site has drivers of the Pro/100 VE, covering
a lot of Windows versions. Did you look for W2K Radeon drivers at the ATI web
site? ... Ben Myers

"dakine" <jbirdie@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>i recently got a new dimenstion 8400. it came with xp home, which to
> me is a huge joke and also like still being under parental control. I
> have used win2k since it came out and it is the best o/s microsnot
> ever did (imho). now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
> about 4 devices. i have looked and looked to the point that google
> wont even let me use their service anymore - jk. i need ethernet for
> an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100), i need chipset
> drivers, and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300. i have an
> audigy sound card and drivers, if that doesnt work, i have a sblive!
> card that i used in an 8300 with win2k, so the main things are
> network card and video ( i got one from ati site and it refused to
> work and i dont know if that was dell not allowing it or a bad
> version...fyi. if anybody knows where i can find production quality
> versions of these drivers, pleeeeeeeze let me know. aloha

I hope you find what you want, but disagree with your thinking on XP. XP is
just 2000 with better device support. Turn off the cartoon interface, make
it look like 2000 and leave it alone.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> "dakine" <jbirdie@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>
>>i recently got a new dimenstion 8400. it came with xp home, which to
>>me is a huge joke and also like still being under parental control. I
>>have used win2k since it came out and it is the best o/s microsnot
>>ever did (imho). now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
>>about 4 devices. i have looked and looked to the point that google
>>wont even let me use their service anymore - jk. i need ethernet for
>>an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100), i need chipset
>>drivers, and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300. i have an
>>audigy sound card and drivers, if that doesnt work, i have a sblive!
>>card that i used in an 8300 with win2k, so the main things are
>>network card and video ( i got one from ati site and it refused to
>>work and i dont know if that was dell not allowing it or a bad
>>version...fyi. if anybody knows where i can find production quality
>>versions of these drivers, pleeeeeeeze let me know. aloha
>
> I hope you find what you want, but disagree with your thinking on XP. XP is
> just 2000 with better device support. Turn off the cartoon interface, make
> it look like 2000 and leave it alone.

Agreed, toss out the interface "improvements" and you have an improved
W2K (I moved reluctantly from W2K on my Dim XPSB866r to XP Pro on my
4550 a couple of years ago and love it now - post tailoring, of course).

dakine <jbirdie@eudoramail.com> wrote:
>now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
>about 4 devices.

>an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100)

That's definitely available on the Intel site.

>, i need chipset
>drivers,

Also on the Intel site (this is an Intel chipset machine, yes?)

>and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300

Definitely on the ATI site. I just loaded the Catalyst 5.04 drivers
on my Win2K desktop yesterday, so I know for a fact that there's one
executable that does Win2K and XP both.

>[sound card(s)]

[I suspect you aren't looking in the right places if you are having
all this trouble.]

I'd add my vote to those advocating XP, it's (finally) better than
Win2K.

On Wed, 18 May 2005 03:12:43 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
wrote:

>"dakine" <jbirdie@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>>i recently got a new dimenstion 8400. it came with xp home, which to
>> me is a huge joke and also like still being under parental control. I
>> have used win2k since it came out and it is the best o/s microsnot
>> ever did (imho). now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
>> about 4 devices. i have looked and looked to the point that google
>> wont even let me use their service anymore - jk. i need ethernet for
>> an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100), i need chipset
>> drivers, and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300. i have an
>> audigy sound card and drivers, if that doesnt work, i have a sblive!
>> card that i used in an 8300 with win2k, so the main things are
>> network card and video ( i got one from ati site and it refused to
>> work and i dont know if that was dell not allowing it or a bad
>> version...fyi. if anybody knows where i can find production quality
>> versions of these drivers, pleeeeeeeze let me know. aloha
>

>I hope you find what you want, but disagree with your thinking on XP. XP is
>just 2000 with better device support. Turn off the cartoon interface, make
>it look like 2000 and leave it alone.
>
>Tom

I agree , I have used wind 2K and XP both home and Pro, and XP wins
hand's down in my opinion.

Bob

"Bob Cordone" <nospam@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 03:12:43 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"dakine" <jbirdie@eudoramail.com> wrote in message
>>>i recently got a new dimenstion 8400. it came with xp home, which to
>>> me is a huge joke and also like still being under parental control. I
>>> have used win2k since it came out and it is the best o/s microsnot
>>> ever did (imho). now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
>>> about 4 devices. i have looked and looked to the point that google
>>> wont even let me use their service anymore - jk. i need ethernet for
>>> an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100), i need chipset
>>> drivers, and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300. i have an
>>> audigy sound card and drivers, if that doesnt work, i have a sblive!
>>> card that i used in an 8300 with win2k, so the main things are
>>> network card and video ( i got one from ati site and it refused to
>>> work and i dont know if that was dell not allowing it or a bad
>>> version...fyi. if anybody knows where i can find production quality
>>> versions of these drivers, pleeeeeeeze let me know. aloha
>>

>>I hope you find what you want, but disagree with your thinking on XP. XP
>>is
>>just 2000 with better device support. Turn off the cartoon interface, make
>>it look like 2000 and leave it alone.
>>
>>Tom
>>

> I agree , I have used wind 2K and XP both home and Pro, and XP wins
> hand's down in my opinion.
>
> Bob

Agreed. Going back ought to Win2K ought to be an adventure on that machine.
Additionally, tech support will require the OP to change the machine back
to XP if he needs support (if they become aware of 2K as the current OS).

The XP eye candy is easy enough to disable.

Stew

On Wed, 18 May 2005 01:48:53 GMT, dakine <jbirdie@eudoramail.com> wrote:
> i recently got a new dimenstion 8400. it came with xp home, which to
> me is a huge joke and also like still being under parental control. I
> have used win2k since it came out and it is the best o/s microsnot
> ever did (imho). now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
> about 4 devices. i have looked and looked to the point that google
> wont even let me use their service anymore - jk. i need ethernet for
> an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100), i need chipset
> drivers, and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300. i have an
> audigy sound card and drivers, if that doesnt work, i have a sblive!
> card that i used in an 8300 with win2k, so the main things are
> network card and video ( i got one from ati site and it refused to
> work and i dont know if that was dell not allowing it or a bad
> version...fyi. if anybody knows where i can find production quality
> versions of these drivers, pleeeeeeeze let me know. aloha

Have you tried the Dell support site?
http://support.dell.com

The Dell support site has a Win2K chipset driver update, at least.
Some of the other devices you mention are not listed. Were these
standard with the Dim 8400 or did you add them?

--
Dale Dellutri <ddelQQQlutr@panQQQix.com> (lose the Q's)

dakine wrote:
> i recently got a new dimenstion 8400. it came with xp home, which to
> me is a huge joke and also like still being under parental control. I
> have used win2k since it came out and it is the best o/s microsnot
> ever did (imho). now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
> about 4 devices. i have looked and looked to the point that google
> wont even let me use their service anymore - jk. i need ethernet for
> an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100), i need chipset
> drivers, and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300. i have an
> audigy sound card and drivers, if that doesnt work, i have a sblive!
> card that i used in an 8300 with win2k, so the main things are
> network card and video ( i got one from ati site and it refused to
> work and i dont know if that was dell not allowing it or a bad
> version...fyi. if anybody knows where i can find production quality
> versions of these drivers, pleeeeeeeze let me know. aloha

I'm going to agree with the others on this as well. While I liked
Windows 2000 much better than NT 4 (who didn't), I disagree that it is
better than Windows XP. I've had much more stability, better security,
and increased device support with Windows XP. It also boots much faster.

Like others have said, you can always turn off the cheesy graphics
within Windows XP and give it the classic Windows look (rather than the
Telletubbies theme). I use Windows XP Pro on both my machines at home
(because I have a Windows based domain) and have never been disappointed
in XP. In my opinion, it's the best OS that Microsoft has ever put out
for the desktop. I also believe that Server 2003 is their best server
based OS as well.

wrote:

>i recently got a new dimenstion 8400. it came with xp home, which to
>me is a huge joke and also like still being under parental control. I
>have used win2k since it came out and it is the best o/s microsnot
>ever did (imho). now the problem comes in finding win2k drivers for
>about 4 devices. i have looked and looked to the point that google
>wont even let me use their service anymore - jk. i need ethernet for
>an Intel Pro/100 VE (sometinmes refered to as LOM 100), i need chipset
>drivers, and video for an ati radeon 128mb 9800 pro x300. i have an
>audigy sound card and drivers, if that doesnt work, i have a sblive!
>card that i used in an 8300 with win2k, so the main things are
>network card and video ( i got one from ati site and it refused to
>work and i dont know if that was dell not allowing it or a bad
>version...fyi. if anybody knows where i can find production quality
>versions of these drivers, pleeeeeeeze let me know. aloha

Frankly, I think you're nuts. Can I have your XP CD if you get 2K
working?
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

I haven't had any problems with the Dell support site. My system has
originally certified Dell Win2k Drivers for the Intel Network card 100VE.
Regarding your graphics card there will be a huge problem. The card is new
and w2k is no longer under active support. I refuse in thinking you will get
a working graphics driver. 'cause if your XP driver won't work then none
will. XP is built upon the w2k platform so it should run fine. Sry..

"Paul Knudsen" <bigkahuna@jupada.com>