How to fix AC connector on board for Inspiron 5150

I have an Inspiron 5150 and looks like the AC connector on the board
is not working. as long the battery is good, it will work, when when
I plug in the power supply, nothing happen, even if I press power on,
it doesn't and battery shows dead, doesn't recharge.

I heard somewhere that we can fix soldering a transistor or something
like that. Anybody have info on how to fix that problem?

Called Dell, they don't want to help, even talk to manager, no help
offered there also.

thanks.

have you confirmed that the ac adapter is working properly?
have your tried the ac adapter without the internal battery installed?
what do you mean that dell won't help, certainly they will repair the system
for you even if out of warranty... do you mean to suggest that they should
be willing to instruct you on how to solder things to the system board?

"jsavoie" <jsavoie@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I have an Inspiron 5150 and looks like the AC connector on the board
> is not working. as long the battery is good, it will work, when when
> I plug in the power supply, nothing happen, even if I press power on,
> it doesn't and battery shows dead, doesn't recharge.
>
> I heard somewhere that we can fix soldering a transistor or something
> like that. Anybody have info on how to fix that problem?
>
> Called Dell, they don't want to help, even talk to manager, no help
> offered there also.
>
> thanks.

There's probably about a 40-50% chance it can be repaired without a new
mainboard. It involves surface-mount soldering, so the repair is not
trivial. One shop that claims to be able to repair some of these for
about $200-250 is www.aqstech.com.

That's about half what a new board (part only) would cost.