download firewall doc?

August 10, 2005 1:31:52 PM

Can I, and if so, how can I, download the doc here:

All I can seem to do is view it. I want to save it to my PC.

Thanks,

Tom

More about : download firewall doc

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:00:53 PM

Tcs wrote:
> Can I, and if so, how can I, download the doc here:

> All I can seem to do is view it. I want to save it to my PC.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Go to this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/thankyou.aspx?family...

Click on the "Start Download" link and the document should open
up in Word. You can now click on File -> Save as.

Note: You can accomplish the same thing by right clicking the
"Start Dowload" link and selecting "Save Target As...".

FYI, I was able to save that document from the link you posted
by doing the following:
Make a change in the document itself.
Close the Window.
Click on Yes when asked if you want to save your changes.

Nepatsfan
August 10, 2005 6:41:31 PM

"Tcs" <TSmith@EastPointCityNoSpam.org> wrote in message
> Can I, and if so, how can I, download the doc here:

bf68-f0532d8db131&DisplayLang=en

> All I can seem to do is view it. I want to save it to my PC.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

You HAVE clicked the "Download" button, have you? If so, what happens when
you do?
Related resources
August 10, 2005 7:17:10 PM

"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message

> FYI, I was able to save that document from the link you posted
> by doing the following:
> Make a change in the document itself.
> Close the Window.
> Click on Yes when asked if you want to save your changes.

Eh? I just clicked on the "Download" button and the document downloaded to
my machine!
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:17:11 PM

Gordon wrote:
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>
>> FYI, I was able to save that document from the link you
>> posted by doing the following:
>> Make a change in the document itself.
>> Close the Window.
>> Click on Yes when asked if you want to save your changes.
>>

> Eh? I just clicked on the "Download" button and the document
> downloaded to my machine!

When I click on the Download button it opens another Internet
Explorer window which does not have the normal toolbar across
the top.

Here's what it looks like:
http://home.comcast.net/~nepatsfan2005/Firewall.html

Without access to "File -> Save as" saving the
document gets tricky. The only way I could save it was to
change some of the text and close the window. I was given three
options, one of which was to save the changes. Only then was I
able to save the file.

Here's what that looks like:
http://home.comcast.net/~nepatsfan2005/Firewall2.html

I don't know enough about IE to say why the action you get when
you click on the Download button differs from my results. I
only know what happens on my computer. I passed along what
worked for me when trying to save that document.

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:22:01 PM

Okay everybody, I guess I wasn't "clear"... Sorry 'bout that.

On *MY* PC, this page is one of quite a few, where (I'm guessing here), the
document is opened with a "viewer".

When *I* click on download, I get a new instance of the document in question. In
*this* case, I'm assuming it's the Word document viewer, as *I* get no ability
to save it, much less anything else. In other words, it is *not* opening with
using Word itself. I've been to several pages where the file *does* open with
word. And in such cases, I can either open it with Word, then "Save" it, *OR* I
can right click on it to "Save Target As...". But on *this* page, only clicking
on the "Download" button gets me anywhere.

While this page, and I'm pretty sure *ALL* such pages to which I have navigated,
contain the following:

Instructions

1. Click the Download button in the upper right-hand corner of this page to
start the download.

2. Do one of the following:

To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program
from its current location.
To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time,
click Save or Save this program to disk.

*ALL* of which do *squat* for *ME*. When I click on "Download", I get what i
mentioned above. The doc opens. Whether it's a Word doc, as in this case, or a
PowerPoint presentation, I have *NO* ability to save it. It's merely opend so I
can view it. That's ALL.

So I was asking if someone knows something I've missed. A "secret handshake" or
something. Am *I* the only one who can't "save" these to my PC? Or do you
think this was intentional by MS?

Here are some others you can try:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

(There are a *bunch* of PowerPoint presentations for SQL server 2005. *ALL* of
which only seem to run from MS's website. I'd *prefer* to download them to my
PC for viewing at a later time.)

Thanks for your time,

Tom

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:17:10 +0100, "Gordon" <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>"Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>
>> FYI, I was able to save that document from the link you posted
>> by doing the following:
>> Make a change in the document itself.
>> Close the Window.
>> Click on Yes when asked if you want to save your changes.
>>

>Eh? I just clicked on the "Download" button and the document downloaded to
>my machine!

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:45:09 PM

Tcs wrote:
> Okay everybody, I guess I wasn't "clear"... Sorry 'bout
> that.
>
> On *MY* PC, this page is one of quite a few, where (I'm
> guessing here), the document is opened with a "viewer".
>
> When *I* click on download, I get a new instance of the
> document in question. In *this* case, I'm assuming it's the
> Word document viewer, as *I* get no ability to save it, much
> less anything else. In other words, it is *not* opening
> with using Word itself. I've been to several pages where
> the file *does* open with word. And in such cases, I can
> either open it with Word, then "Save" it, *OR* I can right
> click on it to "Save Target As...". But on *this* page,
> only clicking on the "Download" button gets me anywhere.
>
> While this page, and I'm pretty sure *ALL* such pages to
> which I have navigated, contain the following:
>
> Instructions
>
> 1. Click the Download button in the upper right-hand
> corner of this page to start the download.
>
> 2. Do one of the following:
>
> To start the installation immediately, click Open or
> Run this program from its current location.
> To copy the download to your computer for
> installation at a later time, click Save or Save this
> program to disk.
>
> *ALL* of which do *squat* for *ME*. When I click on
> "Download", I get what i mentioned above. The doc opens.
> Whether it's a Word doc, as in this case, or a PowerPoint
> presentation, I have *NO* ability to save it. It's merely
> opend so I can view it. That's ALL.
>
> So I was asking if someone knows something I've missed. A
> "secret handshake" or something. Am *I* the only one who
> can't "save" these to my PC? Or do you think this was
> intentional by MS?
>
> Here are some others you can try:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
>
> (There are a *bunch* of PowerPoint presentations for SQL
> server 2005. *ALL* of which only seem to run from MS's
> website. I'd *prefer* to download them to my PC for viewing
> at a later time.)
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Tom

If you're looking for an explanation as to why some files you
try to download open in the actual program (Word, PowerPoint,
etc.) as opposed to a viewer, you can stop reading now. I don't
know why that happens. And more importantly, I don't care. I go
with the assumption that the person who designed the web page
made that decision and who am I to argue with them. I just want
to find a workaround that allows me to save the document for
offline viewing.

That said, here's what works for me:

Solution #1
Let's use this link as an example,

SQL Server 2005 Internals - .ppt presentation
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

After you hit the "Download" button close the "viewer" window.
You should be left with a web page with the following title:
Thank You for Downloading
SQL Server 2005 Internals - .ppt presentation
Note: I always get to these "Thank You" pages without the
viewer being launched because I have IE's popup blocker
enabled.

In the middle of that page look for a line that says:
"If your download does not start, click this link: Start
download"
Click on the "Start download" link.
That will launch the document in a new window from where you
should be able to save the file. Note: you might want to save
the PowerPoint files as .pps files.

Solution #2
For a somewhat less elegant solution you can try the following:
Go to each web page and get the document to open in the viewer.
In Windows Explorer, navigate to the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files

Right click an open area of the right hand pane and select
"Arrange Icons By" -> Type.
Find the .doc and/or .ppt files you want to save and either
select "Open in New Window" or Copy. You can save them directly
if you open them in a new window or you can paste the files
into a convenient location and open them from there.

Solution #3
Finally, if you haven't done so already, you might want to post
your question to one of the Internet Explorer newsgroups.
Here's a good place to start:

Good luck

Nepatsfan

> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:17:10 +0100, "Gordon"
> <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> FYI, I was able to save that document from the link you
>>> posted by doing the following:
>>> Make a change in the document itself.
>>> Close the Window.
>>> Click on Yes when asked if you want to save your changes.
>>>

>> Eh? I just clicked on the "Download" button and the
>> document downloaded to my machine!
August 10, 2005 9:23:34 PM

> Gordon wrote:
>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> FYI, I was able to save that document from the link you
>>> posted by doing the following:
>>> Make a change in the document itself.
>>> Close the Window.
>>> Click on Yes when asked if you want to save your changes.
>>>

>> Eh? I just clicked on the "Download" button and the document
>> downloaded to my machine!
>
> When I click on the Download button it opens another Internet
> Explorer window which does not have the normal toolbar across
> the top.
>
> Here's what it looks like:
> http://home.comcast.net/~nepatsfan2005/Firewall.html

Very odd! Windows, huh?
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:23:35 PM

Gordon wrote:
> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message

>>> Eh? I just clicked on the "Download" button and the
>>> document downloaded to my machine!
>>
>> When I click on the Download button it opens another
>> Internet Explorer window which does not have the normal
>> toolbar across the top.
>>
>> Here's what it looks like:
>> http://home.comcast.net/~nepatsfan2005/Firewall.html
>
> Very odd! Windows, huh?

Not odd at all. I would suspect that some type of security
setting differs on our machines. Different settings = different
behavior.

Here's info on the PC I used to download that file:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Word 2000
IE 6.0 with pop up blocker on, information bar off, Security
settings at Medium

Note: Same results on a similarly configured XP SP2 Home
Edition system.

I try not to get too worried about the "why". Finding a
workaround is fine for me. Since I was able to recreate the
scenario the OP described, I passed along my thoughts on the
subject.

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:38:57 AM

In the File Download dialog box, do one of the following:To copy the download to your
computer, click Save or Save this program to disk.

"Tcs" <TSmith@EastPointCityNoSpam.org> wrote in message
> Can I, and if so, how can I, download the doc here:

> All I can seem to do is view it. I want to save it to my PC.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:50:59 PM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:45:09 -0400, "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote:

>Tcs wrote:
>> Okay everybody, I guess I wasn't "clear"... Sorry 'bout
>> that.
>>
>> On *MY* PC, this page is one of quite a few, where (I'm
>> guessing here), the document is opened with a "viewer".
>>
>> When *I* click on download, I get a new instance of the
>> document in question. In *this* case, I'm assuming it's the
>> Word document viewer, as *I* get no ability to save it, much
>> less anything else. In other words, it is *not* opening
>> with using Word itself. I've been to several pages where
>> the file *does* open with word. And in such cases, I can
>> either open it with Word, then "Save" it, *OR* I can right
>> click on it to "Save Target As...". But on *this* page,
>> only clicking on the "Download" button gets me anywhere.
>>
>> While this page, and I'm pretty sure *ALL* such pages to
>> which I have navigated, contain the following:
>>
>> Instructions
>>
>> 1. Click the Download button in the upper right-hand
>> corner of this page to start the download.
>>
>> 2. Do one of the following:
>>
>> To start the installation immediately, click Open or
>> Run this program from its current location.
>> To copy the download to your computer for
>> installation at a later time, click Save or Save this
>> program to disk.
>>
>> *ALL* of which do *squat* for *ME*. When I click on
>> "Download", I get what i mentioned above. The doc opens.
>> Whether it's a Word doc, as in this case, or a PowerPoint
>> presentation, I have *NO* ability to save it. It's merely
>> opend so I can view it. That's ALL.
>>
>> So I was asking if someone knows something I've missed. A
>> "secret handshake" or something. Am *I* the only one who
>> can't "save" these to my PC? Or do you think this was
>> intentional by MS?
>>
>> Here are some others you can try:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
>>
>> (There are a *bunch* of PowerPoint presentations for SQL
>> server 2005. *ALL* of which only seem to run from MS's
>> website. I'd *prefer* to download them to my PC for viewing
>> at a later time.)
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> Tom
>
>If you're looking for an explanation as to why some files you
>try to download open in the actual program (Word, PowerPoint,
>etc.) as opposed to a viewer, you can stop reading now. I don't
>know why that happens. And more importantly, I don't care. I go
>with the assumption that the person who designed the web page
>made that decision and who am I to argue with them. I just want
>to find a workaround that allows me to save the document for
>offline viewing.

Me too. I just *assume* that I'm doing something wrong, so I want to know what
it is...so I can *fix* it. But ultimately, I just want to be able to save the
doc.

>That said, here's what works for me:
>
>Solution #1
>Let's use this link as an example,
>
>SQL Server 2005 Internals - .ppt presentation
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
>
>After you hit the "Download" button close the "viewer" window.
>You should be left with a web page with the following title:
>Thank You for Downloading
>SQL Server 2005 Internals - .ppt presentation
>Note: I always get to these "Thank You" pages without the
>viewer being launched because I have IE's popup blocker
>enabled.
>
>In the middle of that page look for a line that says:
>"If your download does not start, click this link: Start
>download"
>Click on the "Start download" link.
>That will launch the document in a new window from where you
>should be able to save the file. Note: you might want to save
>the PowerPoint files as .pps files.

Thanks! This works. (So far...)

I wonder what MS's response will be. After trying it at home last night, and
getting the same behaviour, I sent an email to MS, about the website. If they
don't "fix" it, fine. I just hope they don't take away this solution.

Thanks again.

>Solution #2
>For a somewhat less elegant solution you can try the following:
>Go to each web page and get the document to open in the viewer.
>In Windows Explorer, navigate to the following location:
>
>C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary
>Internet Files
>
>Right click an open area of the right hand pane and select
>"Arrange Icons By" -> Type.
>Find the .doc and/or .ppt files you want to save and either
>select "Open in New Window" or Copy. You can save them directly
>if you open them in a new window or you can paste the files
>into a convenient location and open them from there.
>
>Solution #3
>Finally, if you haven't done so already, you might want to post
>your question to one of the Internet Explorer newsgroups.
>Here's a good place to start:

>Good luck
>
>Nepatsfan
>

>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:17:10 +0100, "Gordon"
>> <gordon@gbpcomputing.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> "Nepatsfan" <nepatsfan@SBXXXIX.com> wrote in message

>>> Eh? I just clicked on the "Download" button and the
>>> document downloaded to my machine!

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:33:53 PM

Tcs wrote:
> [...]
>> For a somewhat less elegant solution you can try the
>> following: Go to each web page and get the document to open
>> in the viewer. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the
>> following location:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temporary
>> Internet Files
>>
>> Right click an open area of the right hand pane and select
>> "Arrange Icons By" -> Type.
>> Find the .doc and/or .ppt files you want to save and either
>> select "Open in New Window" or Copy. You can save them
>> directly if you open them in a new window or you can paste
>> the files into a convenient location and open them from
>> there.
>>
>> Solution #3
>> Finally, if you haven't done so already, you might want to
>> post your question to one of the Internet Explorer
>> newsgroups. Here's a good place to start:

Glad to hear you were able to download those files.

FYI, I've now tried this on four different operating systems,
XP Pro, XP Home, Win2K and Win98SE. I've tried different
security settings in IE. Same results. Since I've already found
a workaround, I give up!

Also, I don't think Microsoft meant to intentionally prevent
anyone from downloading those files. I tried this on a machine
that didn't have Office installed, no Word, no PowerPoint. When
I hit the Download button the viewer started to open but soon
closed and the box popped up asking if I wanted to save the
files. That's got me starting to think it may be the way
Internet Explorer and other apps, such as Word and PowerPoint,
work together. I'll leave that for someone else to figure out.

Nepatsfan
!