Has anyone ever bought a Dell from QVC (a television shopping channel)?

In addition to other things, software, etc, they offer a special phone
number you can call to get better service for questions, etc.

Also, as a first time computer user would you suggest a desktop or
laptop, I know desktops are cheaper but I don't want to let price
influence me.

No and probably never would. Before you buy from QVC, check out the
price on the Dell site. With QVC if you have hardware problems do they
come to your home to repair the system?. Dell will. As for questions,
most people complain about the calls to Dell because you cannot
understand most of the Tech people because they are from India. I just
email. If you just have questions, you will get all the answers you
need from this news group and the Dell Talk group at their site.

Now whether a laptop or a desktop?. This depends on what you really
want to do. I have the Dimension 8300 3.0 desktop. (older model) I
also have the XPS Laptop 3.0 which is the pretty expensive and fastest
laptop you can get. The Dimension 8300 desktop is still faster.

If all you want to do is type letters, go on the internet and you don't
have the space for a desktop laptop is fine. If you want to go into
scanning, digital camera's and video camera's you will be better off
with a desktop. Pictures take a lot of hard drive space. My XPS came
with a 60 gig hard drive. I had to add an external 120 gig hard drive
and I use this laptop at work. If you intend to play games, the XPS
will play the latest games, but you don't have a lot of hard drive space
for installing the games.

One thing whether a laptop or desktop make sure the screen or monitor is
referred to as "ultrasharp"

My Assistant purchased the Dell 8600 laptop from Dell. Nice system not
as fast but about $1200 cheaper. She also just purchased the Kodak 7530
digital 5.0 camera and printer dock from Home Shopping Network. Wow
takes beautiful pictures and prints our the best 4 x 6 pictures I've
seen in minute or so. This system works great on her laptop but with a
smaller hard drive it will fill up fast. I liked it so much I ended up
purchasing it from Kodak. I got the same thing from Kodak about $50.00
cheaper.

I think most of the extra software QVC or HSN through in is really not
that good.

Hope some of this helps.............Joan

Jackielee4@webtv.net wrote:
> Has anyone ever bought a Dell from QVC (a television shopping channel)?
>
> In addition to other things, software, etc, they offer a special phone
> number you can call to get better service for questions, etc.
>
> Also, as a first time computer user would you suggest a desktop or
> laptop, I know desktops are cheaper but I don't want to let price
> influence me.

I just bought a new Dell FROM Dell. I watch QVC and noticed the system they
were selling. I did a comparison of features and I got a much better deal
with Dell than QVC was offering.
Monica
<Jackielee4@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever bought a Dell from QVC (a television shopping channel)?
>
> In addition to other things, software, etc, they offer a special phone
> number you can call to get better service for questions, etc.

i don't know if you got a better value from dell vs qvc, but i suspect that
you got more precisely what you wanted and didn't pay for things that you
didn't want. generally, the dell bundles offered on qvc are very fully
loaded machines, with 3 year dell warranties, lots of memory, hard disk,
etc, and lots of software bundled with the system. if you wanted all that
then great, and it is probably a better deal than is typically offered
directly from dell. if you don't want all that then you are better off
shopping directly at dell.com. personally i don't have any interest in all
the software bundled with the machines sold on qvc so no matter how heavily
discounted the software may be it adds to the cost of the system and makes
it more expensive for me then if i bought the system without that software
directly from dell.