Move XP SP2 hard drive to another hardware platform

I have a Hard Drive that contains a working Windows XP SP2 system. I have
taken this hard drive and installed it on a new motherboard. I was hoping
that I could boot Windows XP in safe mode and then load the new motherboard
drivers and life would be great. Unfortunately, XP throws up a blue screen
when I try to run in safe mode on the new motherboard. So, I tried to do a
repair with my original XP installation CD, but because I have SP2 on the
box, the installation process cannot find some files on the original XP
install CD when it tries to do the repair.

Basically, is there some way that I can get this hard drive onto my new
motherboard in the least painless way possible without loosing all of my
settings?

--
-----------------------------------
Ken Varn

EmailID = varnk
Domain = Diebold.com
-----------------------------------
11 answers Last reply
More about move hard drive hardware platform

    Try with sysprep (System Preparation Tool)

    Install the HD in the old PC, boot WinXP, run sysprep and then install
    the disk in the new PC... It could work ;)

    The old hard drive will not boot in the new motherboard because the drive
    contains system settings from your old motherboard/BIOS. Files and settings
    transfer wizard could have helped if the disk was stll in your old system. (I
    know too little too late!)
    My suggestion (If you must access files from the old hard drive) is to
    install Windows on a new hard drive and use your old drive as a secondary
    drive. Other than that it looks like it's time to re-format and re-install.

    "Ken Varn" wrote:

    > I have a Hard Drive that contains a working Windows XP SP2 system. I have
    > taken this hard drive and installed it on a new motherboard. I was hoping
    > that I could boot Windows XP in safe mode and then load the new motherboard
    > drivers and life would be great. Unfortunately, XP throws up a blue screen
    > when I try to run in safe mode on the new motherboard. So, I tried to do a
    > repair with my original XP installation CD, but because I have SP2 on the
    > box, the installation process cannot find some files on the original XP
    > install CD when it tries to do the repair.
    >
    > Basically, is there some way that I can get this hard drive onto my new
    > motherboard in the least painless way possible without loosing all of my
    > settings?
    >
    > --
    > -----------------------------------
    > Ken Varn
    > Senior Software Engineer
    > Diebold Inc.
    >
    > EmailID = varnk
    > Domain = Diebold.com
    > -----------------------------------

    No can do. The old PC is dead.

    --
    -----------------------------------
    Ken Varn

    EmailID = varnk
    Domain = Diebold.com
    -----------------------------------
    "hddsite" <hddsite@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Try with sysprep (System Preparation Tool)

    > Install the HD in the old PC, boot WinXP, run sysprep and then install
    > the disk in the new PC... It could work ;)

    I was hoping for something a little less painless than that!

    The old motherboard is dead. So I can't run File and Settings transfer
    wizard on it.

    I always assumed that Safe Mode would not load drivers for the old
    motherboard and just start up with minimal drivers to run XP.

    Right now I am looking into maybe putting together a slipstream bootable
    version of XP SP2 and using it to do the repair instead.

    --
    -----------------------------------
    Ken Varn

    EmailID = varnk
    Domain = Diebold.com
    -----------------------------------
    "jerryrock" <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The old hard drive will not boot in the new motherboard because the drive
    > contains system settings from your old motherboard/BIOS. Files and
    settings
    > transfer wizard could have helped if the disk was stll in your old system.
    (I
    > know too little too late!)
    > My suggestion (If you must access files from the old hard drive) is to
    > install Windows on a new hard drive and use your old drive as a secondary
    > drive. Other than that it looks like it's time to re-format and
    re-install.

    > "Ken Varn" wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Hard Drive that contains a working Windows XP SP2 system. I
    have
    > > taken this hard drive and installed it on a new motherboard. I was
    hoping
    > > that I could boot Windows XP in safe mode and then load the new
    motherboard
    > > drivers and life would be great. Unfortunately, XP throws up a blue
    screen
    > > when I try to run in safe mode on the new motherboard. So, I tried to
    do a
    > > repair with my original XP installation CD, but because I have SP2 on
    the
    > > box, the installation process cannot find some files on the original XP
    > > install CD when it tries to do the repair.
    > >
    > > Basically, is there some way that I can get this hard drive onto my new
    > > motherboard in the least painless way possible without loosing all of my
    > > settings?
    > >
    > > --
    > > -----------------------------------
    > > Ken Varn
    > > Senior Software Engineer
    > > Diebold Inc.
    > >
    > > EmailID = varnk
    > > Domain = Diebold.com
    > > -----------------------------------

    Perform a Repair Installation so Windows XP can detect the new hardware:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Ken Varn wrote:
    > I was hoping for something a little less painless than that!
    >
    > The old motherboard is dead. So I can't run File and Settings transfer
    > wizard on it.
    >
    > I always assumed that Safe Mode would not load drivers for the old
    > motherboard and just start up with minimal drivers to run XP.
    >
    > Right now I am looking into maybe putting together a slipstream bootable
    > version of XP SP2 and using it to do the repair instead.

    Ken that most likely is the surest, and probably only, way to do what
    you're wanting to do, at least in my experience while trying to do the
    same thing.

    Good luck!

    I tried to do a repair installation, but the original XP boot CD cannot
    locate some files that I think pertain to SP2.

    --
    -----------------------------------
    Ken Varn

    EmailID = varnk
    Domain = Diebold.com
    -----------------------------------

    "Ken Varn" <nospam> wrote:

    >I tried to do a repair installation, but the original XP boot CD cannot
    >locate some files that I think pertain to SP2.

    Make up a new installation CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it. You need
    to have a CDRW drive in order to do this.

    XP Slipstream:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    Also you can use Nlite (free) from http://www.nliteos.com/

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    A slipstreamed CD is what you need, and it will come in handy later. The
    repair install should keep all your files and settings.

    The problem isn't just general drivers, it's things like the IDE controller
    which is pretty basic and will be needed even in safe mode.

    If you know someone who has a windows XP install CD that's the same version
    as yours (home/pro/retail/upgrade/etc.) you can use that CD with your key
    and you don't need to bother making the slipstream CD.

    Ken Varn wrote:
    > I have a Hard Drive that contains a working Windows XP SP2 system. I have
    > taken this hard drive and installed it on a new motherboard. I was hoping
    > that I could boot Windows XP in safe mode and then load the new motherboard
    > drivers and life would be great. Unfortunately, XP throws up a blue screen
    > when I try to run in safe mode on the new motherboard. So, I tried to do a
    > repair with my original XP installation CD, but because I have SP2 on the
    > box, the installation process cannot find some files on the original XP
    > install CD when it tries to do the repair.
    >
    > Basically, is there some way that I can get this hard drive onto my new
    > motherboard in the least painless way possible without loosing all of my
    > settings?

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    I decided to go ahead and proceed with the repair last night. I created a
    backup image of my hard drive using Ghost before proceeding.

    There were a few minor issues that I ran into though, and am hoping some
    light can be shed on these.

    I booted with the XP install CD and proceeded to do the install. After the
    install rebooted and completed the device installation process, it then went
    on to the "installing files" step. At this point, I started receiving
    prompts that the installation could not find files on the CD. They were in
    fact there.

    I decided to load the original backup image back onto the hard drive and
    repeat the process using a slipstream CD with SP2 on it. The same problem
    happened, but this time I decided to cancel the install when I was prompted.
    The install then continued to complete without copying the files. The
    system came back up and sat on the Please wait... section of the XP logo
    screen. It sat there for almost 20 minutes so I decided to reboot the box.
    After doing that, the system came up and life seemed good. However, all of
    my start->programs for the All Users were removed. No problem I thought, I
    will restore them from the backup. I did that, but I hadn't realized the
    install had changed the profiles directory from C:\Documents and
    Settings\All Users to C:\Windows\Profiles\All Users. I don't understand why
    it did this. Is there anyway to change this back to the original location?

    Anyhow, just for safety sake, I decided to re-install XP SP2 from the
    install CD and now the system seems to be running ok. I then installed the
    motherboard drivers.

    Seems like this process is not as cut and dry as I thought it would be. I
    guess the only issue that I am aware of at this point is changing the
    location of the profiles directory back to the original directory.

    Are there any other issues that I should look out for that I may have not
    found yet?

    --
    Ken Varn

    EmailID = varnk