Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with Windows NetMeeting

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 10, 2005 11:09:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am trying to Windows NetMeeting on my XP machine.
I want to be the host.
When I click on Host Meeting, I receive error that
'The Directory Server could not be found'.
It says change the server name but I don't know what the server name should
be.
I went to Windows NetMeeting support page but there are only questions and
answers. There is no place to create a question.
Does anyone know how I can get help to set up Netmeeting?
Ron

More about : windows netmeeting

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:36:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In the Windows XP Programs/Netmeetng Folder there is an html document which
describes set up procedures as well as known issues with some work arounds. I
prefer ICUII for audio/visual communication.

"Ron" wrote:

> I am trying to Windows NetMeeting on my XP machine.
> I want to be the host.
> When I click on Host Meeting, I receive error that
> 'The Directory Server could not be found'.
> It says change the server name but I don't know what the server name should
> be.
> I went to Windows NetMeeting support page but there are only questions and
> answers. There is no place to create a question.
> Does anyone know how I can get help to set up Netmeeting?
> Ron
>
>
>
August 10, 2005 11:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In my C:\Program Files\NetMeeting folder, the only files that exist are, DLL,
WAV, and Exe files .

"jerryrock" wrote:

> In the Windows XP Programs/Netmeetng Folder there is an html document which
> describes set up procedures as well as known issues with some work arounds. I
> prefer ICUII for audio/visual communication.
>
> "Ron" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to Windows NetMeeting on my XP machine.
> > I want to be the host.
> > When I click on Host Meeting, I receive error that
> > 'The Directory Server could not be found'.
> > It says change the server name but I don't know what the server name should
> > be.
> > I went to Windows NetMeeting support page but there are only questions and
> > answers. There is no place to create a question.
> > Does anyone know how I can get help to set up Netmeeting?
> > Ron
> >
> >
> >
Related resources
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:16:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows NetMeeting 3 Readme

(c) Copyright Microsoft Corporation, 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This document provides late-breaking information and known issues to
supplement existing Help and other NetMeeting documentation.

CONTENTS
System Requirements and Setup Audio
General Information Video
General Known Issues Gatekeepers and Gateways
Placing a Call Remote Desktop Sharing
Receiving a Call Security
Program Sharing Additional Known Issues
Whiteboard Accessibility
Chat



System Requirements and Setup
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) NetMeeting(R) enables real-time audio, video, and
data communication over the Internet.

If you have a dual or multiple boot configuration, you must install
NetMeeting from within each operating system using separate folders.
NetMeeting does not run properly from one default installation directory for
multiple boot computers.

Windows installs NetMeeting in the \netmeeting folder. This overwrites any
prior Windows 95 or Windows 98 NetMeeting installation. After installing
NetMeeting, reinstall NetMeeting on Windows 95 or Windows 98, and specify a
different folder than \netmeeting during installation.

NetMeeting works best with a fast Internet connection, such as a 56
kilobytes per second (Kbps) or faster modem, or a local area network (LAN).

For best viewing results, use 800 by 600 resolution or higher. You can also
use compact mode.

NetMeeting does not function properly over SLIP connections or other
simulated SLIP/PPP connections.

For information about product support, see the Support.txt file in your
Windows folder or NetMeeting folder.

If you're using a preinstalled OEM version of Windows, you won't be able to
uninstall NetMeeting using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Back to Contents

General Information
NetMeeting includes support for the H.323 audio and video conferencing
standard and the T.120 data conferencing standard. NetMeeting can be used to
place calls to and receive calls from products that are H.323 and T.120
compatible. With appropriate equipment and services from third parties,
NetMeeting can place a call to a telephone using an H.323 gateway. NetMeeting
also can place calls to H.323 multipoint control units (MCUs) and participate
in multipoint audio/video conferences.

Back to Contents

General Known Issues
If you are hosting a meeting and you set preferences (others cannot share
programs, launch Chat, etc.) in NetMeeting 3.0 or later, these preferences
will not apply to NetMeeting 2.x computers. Users running NetMeeting 2.x will
have access to these features.

You cannot run ReachOut 5.0 on computers if NetMeeting is installed.

To find the name that NetMeeting uses as your NetBIOS name, do the following
steps:

In Control Panel, double-click Network.
Click the Identification tab.
If you use User Profiles for multiple users to maintain your Windows
preferences on all the computers on a network, you might have to run the
Audio Tuning Wizard again when you switch computers.

Both Microsoft(R) FrontPage(R) and NetMeeting currently use the same file
type (.cnf). NetMeeting uses this file type for SpeedDials.

Some ISDN devices are configured to automatically connect to the network.
This might cause the ISDN device to try to connect to the network while
NetMeeting is running. To stop this from happening, turn off Auto-Dial on the
ISDN device.

You can connect to only one other person with audio and/or video at a time.

Some activities cause large amounts of data to be sent between the computers
in your meeting (for example, using audio and sharing several programs while
transferring a large file). In extreme cases, this might cause computers in
the meeting to become very slow. To fix this, stop one or more of the meeting
activities.

Sharing of Microsoft(R) DirectX(R), OpenGL, MS-DOS(R), graphics-intensive
games, and .avi files is not supported and might not function properly.

Data sharing, Whiteboard, and Chat might not work properly between computers
with different language settings and keyboard layouts.

If you're using Internet Explorer 5 or later in offline mode and you try to
start NetMeeting, NetMeeting does not automatically connect to the Internet.
To work around this problem, dial up using Remote Access Service (RAS) for
Windows computers. Or, in Internet Explorer, click the File menu, and then
click Work Offline to clear the check mark.

Meeting settings prevent you from starting NetMeeting programs (Chat,
Whiteboard, File Transfer) after you've joined a meeting. However, meeting
settings don't prevent these programs from working if they are started before
the hosted meeting with settings is joined.

MSN customers who aren't already connected to the MSN service while running
NetMeeting may see multiple instances of the MSN logon window when opening
the Find Someone dialog box.

NetMeeting 3.0 or later may not support certain TV tuner cards as input
sources. Check with the manufacturer of your TV tuner for current drivers.

If you have specified that you should receive only secure calls, be aware
that Office 2000 programs do not support secure conferencing. If you close
NetMeeting and host a meeting using an Office 2000 program, the meeting will
not be secure.

Changing color depth is not recommended if NetMeeting is running, or if you
are using Remote Desktop Sharing.

Back to Contents

Placing a Call
You can place NetMeeting calls to multiple users.

Microsoft maintains the Microsoft Internet Directory, which you can use to
find other NetMeeting users. To view the Microsoft Internet Directory, click
the Find Someone in a Directory button, and then in Select a directory, click
Microsoft Internet Directory.

NOTE You cannot call people on the Internet that you have located on
Web-based directory servers if your Internet connection uses a proxy server
that does not support NetMeeting.

Additionally, if you cannot connect to someone by using their computer name,
try using their IP address.

If you have two active network connections using two separate network cards,
you might not be able to connect to a directory service.

Some MCUs are case-sensitive, so you should type the correct capitalization
conference name to place a call.

You may have to log on to a gatekeeper to call an MCU conference using the
alias registered with the gatekeeper. Contact your system administrator for
details.

If you specify that you want a gatekeeper to place your calls, you can log
on by using either your account name or phone number, or you can specify both
options.

Back to Contents

Receiving a Call
You are ready to receive incoming calls if you are running NetMeeting and
have not selected Do Not Disturb on the Call menu.

You are limited in the number of simultaneous connections you can make,
depending on your in TCP/IP registry configuration.

Back to Contents

Program Sharing
Any person in a meeting can share a program with the other participants.
When you use the program sharing feature, other people can see the program.
When you allow control, other people can both see and use the program.

Users running NetMeeting 2.x cannot control programs shared by computers
running NetMeeting 3.0 or later.

Using this version of NetMeeting, you can share programs with large numbers
of users. However, if a computer running NetMeeting 2.0 is in the conference,
and more than three users are sharing, that computer will not be able to
share a program. The total number of people who can successfully participate
in your meeting depends on available network bandwidth and the speed of the
participants' computers.

Internet Explorer 5 or later users: If you share a Windows Explorer window
and allow control, and the person with whom you are sharing the window closes
the window, all programs and windows that you open afterwards are shared. To
undo sharing in this situation, open a Windows Explorer window again, and
unshare it.

When you share a program and decide to allow someone to control it, remote
users can use the File Open and File Save dialog boxes in your program to
gain access to or delete files on your computer or network.

If you are in control of a shared program and you use shortcut keys, the
shortcut commands are applied to the shared program, not the shared frame
menu. Shortcut keys will not work for menus in the shared frame.

It is recommended that you do not leave your computer unattended while
sharing a program and allowing control.

When you launch another program from within the program you are sharing
(such as a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet from within Microsoft Word), there is
a possibility that the recently launched program will not be shared properly.

You cannot drag an object onto a shared program or drag an object from a
shared program to the desktop.

If you are using an IntelliMouse and sharing a program, the mouse wheel
might not work properly if you resize the sharing frame.

When you share a program with an Input Method Editor (IME), you should show
the IME status bar so that other people can use the mouse to activate the IME.

If the IME does not support showing the status bar, or if other people are
having trouble activating the IME, you can activate and deactivate the IME
for them.

If the IME window fails to redraw during a meeting, you can force it to
redraw by clicking anywhere on the desktop.

You may not be able to share programs on a computer that has a product
installed with program sharing or remote control features (other than
NetMeeting).

While someone else is in control of a shared program, the host's sharing
interface (shared frames, sharing dialog boxes, and any shared frames created
from other machines) becomes "hidden" on the host's desktop. When the host is
in control again, the sharing interface (and any programs shared by others)
reappears.

On Windows computers that are configured to use multiple languages and
locales, the Unicode text on the host machine will appear as garbage
characters on remote Windows computers when using program sharing.

If the host computer is sharing a program and is using 16-bit color (or
lower), elements of the shared program or desktop that normally appear gray
will appear green on remote computers. This can include menu items, button
bars, and status bars.

Back to Contents

Whiteboard
NetMeeting users can draw simultaneously on the Whiteboard. Everyone in the
meeting can see what is drawn on the Whiteboard. When one person in a meeting
runs Whiteboard, it appears on everyone's screen.

The Whiteboard does not maximize to the full size if you are using an 1152
by 864 or larger display.

In conferences between Windows computers and Windows 95 or 98 computers,
double-byte character set (DBCS) characters may not be translated properly.

Back to Contents

Chat
Chat enables you to type messages for other users to see. When one person in
a meeting runs Chat, a chat window appears on everyone's screen if they are
using NetMeeting 3.0 or later.

NetMeeting 2.11 Chat participants may not be able to close the Chat window
if they are participating in a meeting with a NetMeeting 3.0 or later Chat
participant.

Chat files can be saved with the .htm file extension, and then opened in an
Internet browser.

NetMeeting 2.x Chat does not interoperate with NetMeeting 3.0 or later Chat
in some scenarios.

Back to Contents

Audio
To use NetMeeting audio features, you need a sound card, speakers, and a
microphone.

Audio is only supported with one other person.

Sound quality can vary significantly depending on your sound card,
microphone, and connection.

If you modify your sound card device driver in any way, such as upgrading to
a full-duplex driver, you need to run the Audio Tuning Wizard again in order
for NetMeeting to work correctly.

When in a call with a NetMeeting 2.0 user, if audio stops for some reason,
the 2.0 user may not be able to restart it. You have to quit your call and
start over.

You may receive a message in the Audio Tuning Wizard stating that your sound
card is unsupported. This occurs when the sound card does not support some of
the features required for it to be used by NetMeeting. The audio features in
NetMeeting may work even if you get this message, but you might experience
poor audio quality.

If your sound card is unsupported, you might want to contact the
manufacturer to find out if newer sound card drivers are available.

If you use the ATI All In Wonder hardware board for your capture device, it
may disable the microphone and audio when you start a call. To work around
this, double-click the speaker icon in the status area. Click Options, and
then click Properties. Select Recording, and then click OK. Then, reselect
the microphone as the recording input source.

If you are using sound cards made by Turtle Beach, Yamaha, SoundBlaster
(excluding the Ensoniq-based AudioPCI types), Diamond, Crystal, or Microsoft
USB speakers, you will benefit from low latency audio by enabling
DirectSound. This option is not enabled by default.

You might experience improved audio quality by enabling DirectSound.

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Audio tab, select the Enable Direct Sound for improved audio
performance check box.
If you are experiencing choppy full-duplex sound quality, do the following
to switch NetMeeting to half-duplex sound quality:

Make sure that you are not in a NetMeeting call.
On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Audio tab, clear the Enable full-duplex audio so I can speak while
receiving audio check box.
It is recommended that you not switch back and forth between full-duplex and
half-duplex audio while in a meeting with audio.

If you are having problems with your audio quality or sound card when using
NetMeeting, the problems could be related to your hardware configuration or
driver installation. To see the latest support information, click the Help
menu, and then click Online Support.

If your computer has more than one audio device, you should make sure that
the audio devices selected in the Audio Tuning Wizard match the selections in
the Multimedia properties in Control Panel.

If you upgrade your computer's processor, you should run the Audio Tuning
Wizard again.

When you are in an audio conference using NetMeeting, a program that has the
ability to record sound, such as Microsoft PowerPoint, appears to be
recording sound. However, since NetMeeting is already using the sound card,
the other program isn't actually recording.

If you adjust the Windows Wave Output Balance control to the right, you may
lose all NetMeeting speaker volume.

If your computer and the computer you are calling each have WDM audio
drivers, you may hear static when you first connect. If this occurs, disable
DirectSound.

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Audio tab, clear the Enable Direct Sound for improved audio
performance check box.
Back to Contents

Video
To send video with NetMeeting, you need either a video-capture card and
camera, or a video camera that connects through your computer's parallel
(printer) port or USB port.

Cameras that have a video-capture card use less of your computer's
processing resources than cameras that connect through your computer's
parallel port.

Video is only supported with one other person at a time.

The default setting for video over a 28.8 Kbps modem connection is Better
quality. To change this setting, click the Tools menu, click Options, click
the Video tab, and then adjust the Video quality option.

The size of the video preview window may not reflect the size that is
selected in the Options dialog box.

Running video in a multi-user meeting can reduce the performance of all the
computers in the meeting. For example, opening a video window while sharing a
program can make it difficult for others to take control of the program.

If you have more than one video device installed, or you have not properly
uninstalled a video device that was previously installed, you might not be
able to use video. If your video device is not properly uninstalled and you
have enabled video in NetMeeting, the remaining camera software may warn you
repeatedly that it cannot find the camera.

If you disconnect your camera while using the video features in NetMeeting,
your camera's software may display messages telling you that the camera isn't
responding. To disable these messages, click the Tools menu, click Options,
click Video, and then clear the Automatically send video at the start of each
call check box.

If you are running another program that uses video capture, the video
functions in NetMeeting may be disabled.

If some areas of your video window contain the wrong colors, your camera
might be aimed at an area with insufficient light. Some video drivers provide
a low-light filter option.

If you are using the video features in a dark area, some cameras causes your
computer to become extremely slow and unresponsive.

If your video capture device fails to preview video, you might not have the
correct display codec (e.g., YUV or I420) installed.

Audio input for users of Winnov cameras is automatically switched whenever
video is in use. If your video is connected using the MXC connection, the
camera input is used for audio. If your video is connected using the
Composite or S-Video connection, the line input is used for audio.

With some cameras, you may be able to reduce CPU usage by manually adjusting
the settings in the Source and Format dialog boxes instead of letting the
video driver software do it automatically.

If you use WDM drivers for the ATI All In Wonder hardware board, you may not
have video capability in NetMeeting.

Back to Contents

Gatekeepers and Gateways
It is recommended that you do not change your gatekeeper and registration
information during a call.

Certain programs (such as Microsoft(R) WebTV(R) for Windows 98), netcards,
and PPP adaptors assign IP addresses that may interfere with your gatekeeper
registration.

Back to Contents

Remote Desktop Sharing
Using Remote Desktop Sharing, NetMeeting 3.0 or later can call an unattended
computer (host) running the Remote Desktop Sharing service, and then access
that computer’s shared desktop. Once you are connected, you can work in the
host’s shared desktop and in any program that the host computer has access to.

Administrators can give users the ability to access a computer via Remote
Desktop Sharing without giving them accounts with administrator privilege.
This can be done by creating a group titled "NetMeeting RDS Users" and adding
those users’ accounts to that group.

To connect to your computer using the Remote Desktop Sharing service, you
must know either the IP address of your computer or the computer name of the
computer being called. You can find the IP address of your computer by
clicking Help, and then clicking About Windows NetMeeting.

Remote Desktop Sharing is automatically disabled when you visit a Web page
that has NetMeeting embedded in the browser's UI. It needs to be manually
enabled.

If an IP address is dynamically assigned, such as for dial-up networking, an
Remote Desktop Sharing server cannot resume Remote Desktop Sharing sessions
after a lost connection with the network. The workaround is to deactivate
Remote Desktop Sharing, Release All and then Renew All in the Windows IP
Configuration utility (ipconfig.exe) and reactivate Remote Desktop Sharing.

If the option to Run when Windows Starts (RWWS) is selected, then the host
enables Remote Desktop Sharing, NetMeeting is supposed to automatically
disable RWWS. NetMeeting does not disable RWWS correctly. As a result, Remote
Desktop Sharing will not activate when the computer is restarted. To fix this
problem, deactivate Remote Desktop Sharing, activate RWWS, and then
deactivate RWWS manually. You can then successfully activate Remote Desktop
Sharing again.

If you restart a Windows computer after activating Remote Desktop Sharing,
then try to log on from a remote computer, text will appear blocked out in
the Welcome and Log On dialog boxes. This does not prevent you from logging
on to the Windows host with Remote Desktop Sharing.

Note: Text in the Welcome and Log On dialog boxes will not appear blocked
out when the Windows host logs off the machine without restarting.

When using Remote Desktop Sharing, it is recommended that you do not use
System standby, if this feature is available on your computer. System standby
can be invoked manually in the Shutdown dialog box, or automatically through
Power Options in Control Panel.

To turn off automatic system standby

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Power Options.
On the Power Schemes tab, in System standby, click Never.
Back to Contents

Security
In a secure data-only call, the audio and video controls and menu items
should be dimmed, but currently, they stay active throughout the call.

Windows NetMeeting only works with certificates in the Windows system
certificate store. Certificates obtained from browsers that use private
certificate stores, such as Netscape Communicator 4.5, can't be used with
NetMeeting. Such certificates may be used if they are exported using Netscape
Communicator and then imported using Internet Explorer.

The security check boxes on the Find Someone and Place A Call dialog boxes
are disabled when you are in a call. In addition, if a call starts while
these dialog boxes are displayed, the check boxes are automatically disabled.

Back to Contents

Additional Known Issues
When you share a 16-bit program, all the 16-bit programs that are running on
your computer are also automatically shared.

You might experience problems if you share a 32-bit program, and then insert
an object package. This opens the Object Packager, which is automatically
shared and subsequently faults. The original shared program or NetMeeting
will not fault.

If you are unable to receive a call, restart your computer and try again.

If you do not have a sound card, you need to manually specify the bandwidth
of your connection. To do this, click the Tools menu, click Options, click
Bandwidth Settings, and then make a selection under Network Bandwidth.

You may need to uninstall Dial-up Networking in order to log on to a
directory server though a proxy server.

If, after placing a call, you see a message for more than one minute that
NetMeeting is waiting for a response from the other person, quit NetMeeting,
and then try to contact the person again.

If you receive a SpeedDial in an e-mail message, your mail program may
convert it to a text (.txt) file. You can use this file as a SpeedDial if you
rename it with a .cnf extension.

Back to Contents

Accessibility
You can call a voicemail system using NetMeeting and a gateway computer. To
use the keyboard to dial voicemail extensions use the following table:


"Ron" wrote:

> In my C:\Program Files\NetMeeting folder, the only files that exist are, DLL,
> WAV, and Exe files .
>
> "jerryrock" wrote:
>
> > In the Windows XP Programs/Netmeetng Folder there is an html document which
> > describes set up procedures as well as known issues with some work arounds. I
> > prefer ICUII for audio/visual communication.
> >
> > "Ron" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to Windows NetMeeting on my XP machine.
> > > I want to be the host.
> > > When I click on Host Meeting, I receive error that
> > > 'The Directory Server could not be found'.
> > > It says change the server name but I don't know what the server name should
> > > be.
> > > I went to Windows NetMeeting support page but there are only questions and
> > > answers. There is no place to create a question.
> > > Does anyone know how I can get help to set up Netmeeting?
> > > Ron
> > >
> > >
> > >
August 10, 2005 4:39:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jerry
Sorry but after reading the document over & over again it doesn't tell me
how to set it up on the host side. It only tells how to dial into the host.


"jerryrock" wrote:

>
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Microsoft Windows NetMeeting 3 Readme
>
> (c) Copyright Microsoft Corporation, 1999
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> This document provides late-breaking information and known issues to
> supplement existing Help and other NetMeeting documentation.
>
> CONTENTS
> System Requirements and Setup Audio
> General Information Video
> General Known Issues Gatekeepers and Gateways
> Placing a Call Remote Desktop Sharing
> Receiving a Call Security
> Program Sharing Additional Known Issues
> Whiteboard Accessibility
> Chat
>
>
>
> System Requirements and Setup
> Microsoft(R) Windows(R) NetMeeting(R) enables real-time audio, video, and
> data communication over the Internet.
>
> If you have a dual or multiple boot configuration, you must install
> NetMeeting from within each operating system using separate folders.
> NetMeeting does not run properly from one default installation directory for
> multiple boot computers.
>
> Windows installs NetMeeting in the \netmeeting folder. This overwrites any
> prior Windows 95 or Windows 98 NetMeeting installation. After installing
> NetMeeting, reinstall NetMeeting on Windows 95 or Windows 98, and specify a
> different folder than \netmeeting during installation.
>
> NetMeeting works best with a fast Internet connection, such as a 56
> kilobytes per second (Kbps) or faster modem, or a local area network (LAN).
>
> For best viewing results, use 800 by 600 resolution or higher. You can also
> use compact mode.
>
> NetMeeting does not function properly over SLIP connections or other
> simulated SLIP/PPP connections.
>
> For information about product support, see the Support.txt file in your
> Windows folder or NetMeeting folder.
>
> If you're using a preinstalled OEM version of Windows, you won't be able to
> uninstall NetMeeting using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
>
> Back to Contents
>
> General Information
> NetMeeting includes support for the H.323 audio and video conferencing
> standard and the T.120 data conferencing standard. NetMeeting can be used to
> place calls to and receive calls from products that are H.323 and T.120
> compatible. With appropriate equipment and services from third parties,
> NetMeeting can place a call to a telephone using an H.323 gateway. NetMeeting
> also can place calls to H.323 multipoint control units (MCUs) and participate
> in multipoint audio/video conferences.
>
> Back to Contents
>
> General Known Issues
> If you are hosting a meeting and you set preferences (others cannot share
> programs, launch Chat, etc.) in NetMeeting 3.0 or later, these preferences
> will not apply to NetMeeting 2.x computers. Users running NetMeeting 2.x will
> have access to these features.
>
> You cannot run ReachOut 5.0 on computers if NetMeeting is installed.
>
> To find the name that NetMeeting uses as your NetBIOS name, do the following
> steps:
>
> In Control Panel, double-click Network.
> Click the Identification tab.
> If you use User Profiles for multiple users to maintain your Windows
> preferences on all the computers on a network, you might have to run the
> Audio Tuning Wizard again when you switch computers.
>
> Both Microsoft(R) FrontPage(R) and NetMeeting currently use the same file
> type (.cnf). NetMeeting uses this file type for SpeedDials.
>
> Some ISDN devices are configured to automatically connect to the network.
> This might cause the ISDN device to try to connect to the network while
> NetMeeting is running. To stop this from happening, turn off Auto-Dial on the
> ISDN device.
>
> You can connect to only one other person with audio and/or video at a time.
>
> Some activities cause large amounts of data to be sent between the computers
> in your meeting (for example, using audio and sharing several programs while
> transferring a large file). In extreme cases, this might cause computers in
> the meeting to become very slow. To fix this, stop one or more of the meeting
> activities.
>
> Sharing of Microsoft(R) DirectX(R), OpenGL, MS-DOS(R), graphics-intensive
> games, and .avi files is not supported and might not function properly.
>
> Data sharing, Whiteboard, and Chat might not work properly between computers
> with different language settings and keyboard layouts.
>
> If you're using Internet Explorer 5 or later in offline mode and you try to
> start NetMeeting, NetMeeting does not automatically connect to the Internet.
> To work around this problem, dial up using Remote Access Service (RAS) for
> Windows computers. Or, in Internet Explorer, click the File menu, and then
> click Work Offline to clear the check mark.
>
> Meeting settings prevent you from starting NetMeeting programs (Chat,
> Whiteboard, File Transfer) after you've joined a meeting. However, meeting
> settings don't prevent these programs from working if they are started before
> the hosted meeting with settings is joined.
>
> MSN customers who aren't already connected to the MSN service while running
> NetMeeting may see multiple instances of the MSN logon window when opening
> the Find Someone dialog box.
>
> NetMeeting 3.0 or later may not support certain TV tuner cards as input
> sources. Check with the manufacturer of your TV tuner for current drivers.
>
> If you have specified that you should receive only secure calls, be aware
> that Office 2000 programs do not support secure conferencing. If you close
> NetMeeting and host a meeting using an Office 2000 program, the meeting will
> not be secure.
>
> Changing color depth is not recommended if NetMeeting is running, or if you
> are using Remote Desktop Sharing.
>
> Back to Contents
>
> Placing a Call
> You can place NetMeeting calls to multiple users.
>
> Microsoft maintains the Microsoft Internet Directory, which you can use to
> find other NetMeeting users. To view the Microsoft Internet Directory, click
> the Find Someone in a Directory button, and then in Select a directory, click
> Microsoft Internet Directory.
>
> NOTE You cannot call people on the Internet that you have located on
> Web-based directory servers if your Internet connection uses a proxy server
> that does not support NetMeeting.
>
> Additionally, if you cannot connect to someone by using their computer name,
> try using their IP address.
>
> If you have two active network connections using two separate network cards,
> you might not be able to connect to a directory service.
>
> Some MCUs are case-sensitive, so you should type the correct capitalization
> conference name to place a call.
>
> You may have to log on to a gatekeeper to call an MCU conference using the
> alias registered with the gatekeeper. Contact your system administrator for
> details.
>
> If you specify that you want a gatekeeper to place your calls, you can log
> on by using either your account name or phone number, or you can specify both
> options.
>
> Back to Contents
>
> Receiving a Call
> You are ready to receive incoming calls if you are running NetMeeting and
> have not selected Do Not Disturb on the Call menu.
>
> You are limited in the number of simultaneous connections you can make,
> depending on your in TCP/IP registry configuration.
>
> Back to Contents
>
> Program Sharing
> Any person in a meeting can share a program with the other participants.
> When you use the program sharing feature, other people can see the program.
> When you allow control, other people can both see and use the program.
>
> Users running NetMeeting 2.x cannot control programs shared by computers
> running NetMeeting 3.0 or later.
>
> Using this version of NetMeeting, you can share programs with large numbers
> of users. However, if a computer running NetMeeting 2.0 is in the conference,
> and more than three users are sharing, that computer will not be able to
> share a program. The total number of people who can successfully participate
> in your meeting depends on available network bandwidth and the speed of the
> participants' computers.
>
> Internet Explorer 5 or later users: If you share a Windows Explorer window
> and allow control, and the person with whom you are sharing the window closes
> the window, all programs and windows that you open afterwards are shared. To
> undo sharing in this situation, open a Windows Explorer window again, and
> unshare it.
>
> When you share a program and decide to allow someone to control it, remote
> users can use the File Open and File Save dialog boxes in your program to
> gain access to or delete files on your computer or network.
>
> If you are in control of a shared program and you use shortcut keys, the
> shortcut commands are applied to the shared program, not the shared frame
> menu. Shortcut keys will not work for menus in the shared frame.
>
> It is recommended that you do not leave your computer unattended while
> sharing a program and allowing control.
>
> When you launch another program from within the program you are sharing
> (such as a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet from within Microsoft Word), there is
> a possibility that the recently launched program will not be shared properly.
>
> You cannot drag an object onto a shared program or drag an object from a
> shared program to the desktop.
>
> If you are using an IntelliMouse and sharing a program, the mouse wheel
> might not work properly if you resize the sharing frame.
>
> When you share a program with an Input Method Editor (IME), you should show
> the IME status bar so that other people can use the mouse to activate the IME.
>
> If the IME does not support showing the status bar, or if other people are
> having trouble activating the IME, you can activate and deactivate the IME
> for them.
>
> If the IME window fails to redraw during a meeting, you can force it to
> redraw by clicking anywhere on the desktop.
>
> You may not be able to share programs on a computer that has a product
> installed with program sharing or remote control features (other than
> NetMeeting).
>
> While someone else is in control of a shared program, the host's sharing
> interface (shared frames, sharing dialog boxes, and any shared frames created
> from other machines) becomes "hidden" on the host's desktop. When the host is
> in control again, the sharing interface (and any programs shared by others)
> reappears.
>
> On Windows computers that are configured to use multiple languages and
> locales, the Unicode text on the host machine will appear as garbage
> characters on remote Windows computers when using program sharing.
>
> If the host computer is sharing a program and is using 16-bit color (or
> lower), elements of the shared program or desktop that normally appear gray
> will appear green on remote computers. This can include menu items, button
> bars, and status bars.
>
> Back to Contents
>
> Whiteboard
> NetMeeting users can draw simultaneously on the Whiteboard. Everyone in the
> meeting can see what is drawn on the Whiteboard. When one person in a meeting
> runs Whiteboard, it appears on everyone's screen.
>
> The Whiteboard does not maximize to the full size if you are using an 1152
> by 864 or larger display.
>
> In conferences between Windows computers and Windows 95 or 98 computers,
> double-byte character set (DBCS) characters may not be translated properly.
>
> Back to Contents
>
> Chat
> Chat enables you to type messages for other users to see. When one person in
> a meeting runs Chat, a chat window appears on everyone's screen if they are
> using NetMeeting 3.0 or later.
>
> NetMeeting 2.11 Chat participants may not be able to close the Chat window
> if they are participating in a meeting with a NetMeeting 3.0 or later Chat
> participant.
>
> Chat files can be saved with the .htm file extension, and then opened in an
> Internet browser.
>
> NetMeeting 2.x Chat does not interoperate with NetMeeting 3.0 or later Chat
> in some scenarios.
>
> Back to Contents
>
> Audio
> To use NetMeeting audio features, you need a sound card, speakers, and a
> microphone.
>
> Audio is only supported with one other person.
>
> Sound quality can vary significantly depending on your sound card,
> microphone, and connection.
>
> If you modify your sound card device driver in any way, such as upgrading to
> a full-duplex driver, you need to run the Audio Tuning Wizard again in order
> for NetMeeting to work correctly.
>
> When in a call with a NetMeeting 2.0 user, if audio stops for some reason,
> the 2.0 user may not be able to restart it. You have to quit your call and
> start over.
>
> You may receive a message in the Audio Tuning Wizard stating that your sound
> card is unsupported. This occurs when the sound card does not support some of
> the features required for it to be used by NetMeeting. The audio features in
> NetMeeting may work even if you get this message, but you might experience
> poor audio quality.
>
> If your sound card is unsupported, you might want to contact the
> manufacturer to find out if newer sound card drivers are available.
>
!