I watched an episode of the vancouver based "Dotto's Data Cafe", and was
introduced to some Microsoft encyclopedia program (it was on cd, not the web
based version). I am interested in this program for myself but I am not sure
what the program is exactly. When the show originally aired, i think it was
around 2003 or something like that. It included a feature, allowing the
software to go online and automatically update itself with all the current
news. It also included a feature for viewing the curriculum for all
kindergarden to grade 12 students, so that you can click a grade, then click
a subject that will be taught in that grade.
Unfortunatly this is all I remmber about the product. I am quite sure that
Microsoft has only one kind of encylopedia program (but i could be wrong, i
dont know), and it is encarta. But if this program auomatically updates
itself with all the news, why does encarta have an update every here that you
buy? Like, I know there is encarta 2006 now.... I plan on purchasing the
program, but I want it to last a few years, not just one year... Please help
ASAP. thnx in advance.

Hello, I have Encarta2005. There is a update function, I assume that this
will continue into 2006 etc., not unlike other programs Microsoft sells.
The updates "once or twice a month" contain current items but not like a
news service.
One item is "Homework Curriculum Guide" this works as stated in your post
and a new feature from last update, called "Encarta Kids".
For the price "which can include a rebate" it is a unblievable value.
take care.beamish.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/encarta/default.mspx

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:07653509-F42F-4B96-894B-92D242CFCCE6@microsoft.com...
|I watched an episode of the vancouver based "Dotto's Data Cafe", and was
| introduced to some Microsoft encyclopedia program (it was on cd, not the
web
| based version). I am interested in this program for myself but I am not
sure
| what the program is exactly. When the show originally aired, i think it
was
| around 2003 or something like that. It included a feature, allowing the
| software to go online and automatically update itself with all the current
| news. It also included a feature for viewing the curriculum for all
| kindergarden to grade 12 students, so that you can click a grade, then
click
| a subject that will be taught in that grade.
| Unfortunatly this is all I remmber about the product. I am quite sure that
| Microsoft has only one kind of encylopedia program (but i could be wrong,
| dont know), and it is encarta. But if this program auomatically updates
| itself with all the news, why does encarta have an update every here that
you
| buy? Like, I know there is encarta 2006 now.... I plan on purchasing the
| program, but I want it to last a few years, not just one year... Please
help
| ASAP. thnx in advance.

ok, so you've given me the link to encarta, but can you tell me if the
program includes all the features i previously described, and tell me why
they have a new encarta version every few years? Why would you need to have a
new encarta version if it just gets updated from the web?

"Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/products/encarta/default.mspx
>
> "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:07653509-F42F-4B96-894B-92D242CFCCE6@microsoft.com...
> |I watched an episode of the vancouver based "Dotto's Data Cafe", and was
> | introduced to some Microsoft encyclopedia program (it was on cd, not the
> web
> | based version). I am interested in this program for myself but I am not
> sure
> | what the program is exactly. When the show originally aired, i think it
> was
> | around 2003 or something like that. It included a feature, allowing the
> | software to go online and automatically update itself with all the current
> | news. It also included a feature for viewing the curriculum for all
> | kindergarden to grade 12 students, so that you can click a grade, then
> click
> | a subject that will be taught in that grade.
> | Unfortunatly this is all I remmber about the product. I am quite sure that
> | Microsoft has only one kind of encylopedia program (but i could be wrong,
> | dont know), and it is encarta. But if this program auomatically updates
> | itself with all the news, why does encarta have an update every here that
> you
> | buy? Like, I know there is encarta 2006 now.... I plan on purchasing the
> | program, but I want it to last a few years, not just one year... Please
> help
> | ASAP. thnx in advance.

is this homework curriculum guide included in "Encarta 2006 Premium"? Or do I
have to buy it or what...? And what do you mean about the update service? Its
like a one year subscription, and once the year is up (or a certain time
period) I have to get the next years version of encarta to keep the news
updates coming? Thnx. again in advance.

"beamish" wrote:

> Hello, I have Encarta2005. There is a update function, I assume that this
> will continue into 2006 etc., not unlike other programs Microsoft sells.
> The updates "once or twice a month" contain current items but not like a
> news service.
> One item is "Homework Curriculum Guide" this works as stated in your post
> and a new feature from last update, called "Encarta Kids".
> For the price "which can include a rebate" it is a unblievable value.
> take care.beamish.
>
> "thunderstruck_302" wrote:
>
> > I watched an episode of the vancouver based "Dotto's Data Cafe", and was
> > introduced to some Microsoft encyclopedia program (it was on cd, not the web
> > based version). I am interested in this program for myself but I am not sure
> > what the program is exactly. When the show originally aired, i think it was
> > around 2003 or something like that. It included a feature, allowing the
> > software to go online and automatically update itself with all the current
> > news. It also included a feature for viewing the curriculum for all
> > kindergarden to grade 12 students, so that you can click a grade, then click
> > a subject that will be taught in that grade.
> > Unfortunatly this is all I remmber about the product. I am quite sure that
> > Microsoft has only one kind of encylopedia program (but i could be wrong, i
> > dont know), and it is encarta. But if this program auomatically updates
> > itself with all the news, why does encarta have an update every here that you
> > buy? Like, I know there is encarta 2006 now.... I plan on purchasing the
> > program, but I want it to last a few years, not just one year... Please help
> > ASAP. thnx in advance.

This is the Windows XP operating system newsgroup. It deals with issues
and information for Windows XP. Perhaps you would find the info you
desire by asking in the Encarta group.

thunderstruck_302 wrote:
> ok, so you've given me the link to encarta, but can you tell me if the
> program includes all the features i previously described, and tell me why
> they have a new encarta version every few years? Why would you need to have a
> new encarta version if it just gets updated from the web?
>
> "Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:
>

>>http://www.microsoft.com/products/encarta/default.mspx
>>
>>"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>message news:07653509-F42F-4B96-894B-92D242CFCCE6@microsoft.com...
>>|I watched an episode of the vancouver based "Dotto's Data Cafe", and was
>>| introduced to some Microsoft encyclopedia program (it was on cd, not the
>>web
>>| based version). I am interested in this program for myself but I am not
>>sure
>>| what the program is exactly. When the show originally aired, i think it
>>was
>>| around 2003 or something like that. It included a feature, allowing the
>>| software to go online and automatically update itself with all the current
>>| news. It also included a feature for viewing the curriculum for all
>>| kindergarden to grade 12 students, so that you can click a grade, then
>>click
>>| a subject that will be taught in that grade.
>>| Unfortunatly this is all I remmber about the product. I am quite sure that
>>| Microsoft has only one kind of encylopedia program (but i could be wrong,
>>| dont know), and it is encarta. But if this program auomatically updates
>>| itself with all the news, why does encarta have an update every here that
>>you
>>| buy? Like, I know there is encarta 2006 now.... I plan on purchasing the
>>| program, but I want it to last a few years, not just one year... Please
>>help
>>| ASAP. thnx in advance.

The new article update to Encarta is manual not automatic like Windows
option.
Microsoft does not offer updates to Encarta forever. If I recall correctly,
the new article update for Encarta 2005 ends in October or November 2005.
Microsoft only has one encyclopedia - Encarta. However, there are versions
available with features for K to 12 students. Suggest you check with
Amazon.com. They have a good summary of what is available. Note: checking
what is available at Amazon.com does not mean you must purchase from them.
Encarta 2006 has a $10US/$20CDN rebate included in the package {valid to
12/31/06} which does not require ownership of a prior version of Encarta.

Don

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B8C60049-DAC3-43F8-AFCF-71D3E82396BB@microsoft.com...
> ok, so you've given me the link to encarta, but can you tell me if the
> program includes all the features i previously described, and tell me why
> they have a new encarta version every few years? Why would you need to
> have a
> new encarta version if it just gets updated from the web?
>
> "Tom Pepper Willett" wrote:
>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/products/encarta/default.mspx
>>
>> "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:07653509-F42F-4B96-894B-92D242CFCCE6@microsoft.com...
>> |I watched an episode of the vancouver based "Dotto's Data Cafe", and was
>> | introduced to some Microsoft encyclopedia program (it was on cd, not
>> the
>> web
>> | based version). I am interested in this program for myself but I am not
>> sure
>> | what the program is exactly. When the show originally aired, i think it
>> was
>> | around 2003 or something like that. It included a feature, allowing the
>> | software to go online and automatically update itself with all the
>> current
>> | news. It also included a feature for viewing the curriculum for all
>> | kindergarden to grade 12 students, so that you can click a grade, then
>> click
>> | a subject that will be taught in that grade.
>> | Unfortunatly this is all I remmber about the product. I am quite sure
>> that
>> | Microsoft has only one kind of encylopedia program (but i could be
>> wrong,
>> | dont know), and it is encarta. But if this program auomatically updates
>> | itself with all the news, why does encarta have an update every here
>> that
>> you
>> | buy? Like, I know there is encarta 2006 now.... I plan on purchasing
>> the
>> | program, but I want it to last a few years, not just one year... Please
>> help
>> | ASAP. thnx in advance.

Hello, Do not know Encarta2006 have Encarta2005.
Homework Guide is part of the installed program.
Most products including Encarta supply (free) updates.
For Encarta2005 "free content updates are provided until 10/31/2005.
This is what is listed in the program, what happens in terms of "updates"
may be different as Microsoft has continued "updates" for different products
beyond the time stated.
take care.
beamish.