Sharing an HP PSC1210 on a network

I have an hp psc1210 multifunction printer connected to my Fedora Core
3 box. I use Samba to share the printer with my windows PCs. Since HP
doesn't support sharing for this printer, I had to go thru the
devious process of connecting the printer to each PC and run the full
install, which creates a printer with the correct driver on windows.
Then I added a Network printer using a dummy driver. Finally I altered
the Network printer by choosing the correct driver from the list. All I
can say is things would have been much smoother if HP would have
willingly pointed me to the file that contains the correct driver.

However each time I connect a new windows box to my network, I have to
go thu the same painful process. There's gotta be an easier way!
Anybody has any experience sharing the PSC 1210 using Samba on Linux?

Hi,

<eacosta@yahoo.com> wrote:
#However each time I connect a new windows box to my network, I have to
#go thu the same painful process. There's gotta be an easier way!
#Anybody has any experience sharing the PSC 1210 using Samba on Linux?

OK... there's a way. Configure your Linux box to use Ghostscript to
print to your PSC. Then you can attach each new PC to the printer as a
Generic Postscript Printer. Your Linux box will be the Postscript->PCL
translater.

If you need specific PSC 1210 functionality on any client PC, you may
need to drop back to your current method.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Just say "no" to liars SCO and Soyo
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | Return services to local CIS offices!