Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to Stop "System Configuration Utility?"

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
August 10, 2005 3:08:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I got a Dell Inspiron 2200 - very cheap and very good.

I fiddled with msconfig to stop some of the many, many
processes running. Now, at boot, a series of windows
open the first being the "system Configuration Utility."

How can I stop these?

PS. Where can I find a list of the processes that I
can stop?
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:08:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Did you change it from normal startup to selective or diagnostic startup on
the general tab? The services and startup tabs show the running apps and
processes. .

"Al" wrote:

> I got a Dell Inspiron 2200 - very cheap and very good.
>
> I fiddled with msconfig to stop some of the many, many
> processes running. Now, at boot, a series of windows
> open the first being the "system Configuration Utility."
>
> How can I stop these?
>
> PS. Where can I find a list of the processes that I
> can stop?
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:44:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System Configuration
utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press OK. If that does not
help, see this page:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.h...


How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Al" <ecarecar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11fk63dqbnvcm14@corp.supernews.com...
>I got a Dell Inspiron 2200 - very cheap and very good.
>
> I fiddled with msconfig to stop some of the many, many
> processes running. Now, at boot, a series of windows
> open the first being the "system Configuration Utility."
>
> How can I stop these?
>
> PS. Where can I find a list of the processes that I
> can stop?
Related resources
August 11, 2005 1:44:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System
> Configuration utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press
> OK. If that does not help, see this page:
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.h...
>
>
> How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
> XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
>

But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.

Why can't I just make a change?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:44:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Al <ecarecar@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System
>> Configuration utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press
>> OK. If that does not help, see this page:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.h...
>>
>>
>> How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
>> XP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
>>
>
>But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.
>
>Why can't I just make a change?

You can. The popup is just to remind you that changes have been made.
Changes made with MSCONFIG should be temporary only for diagnostic and
testing purposes. Permanent changes should be done by uninstalling or
reconfiguring the application involved or by editing the registry.
Hence the reminder that you have made changes.

When you click on the "Don't show.." box the popup goes away, but only
until you make further changes with MSCONFIG, at which point the popup
returns until you again click on the "Don't show...." checkbox.

Hope this explains the situation.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:58:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When it shows, check the 'don't show this again' box and exit.

See:-
'Disable MSConfig Selective Startup Screen'

http://www.dougknox.com/

under Win XP Fixes.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP
Al wrote:

> I got a Dell Inspiron 2200 - very cheap and very good.
>
> I fiddled with msconfig to stop some of the many, many
> processes running. Now, at boot, a series of windows
> open the first being the "system Configuration Utility."
>
> How can I stop these?
>
> PS. Where can I find a list of the processes that I
> can stop?
August 11, 2005 2:05:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Ron Martell wrote:
> Al <ecarecar@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>>Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>>
>>>When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System
>>>Configuration utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press
>>>OK. If that does not help, see this page:
>>>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.h...
>>>
>>>
>>>How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
>>>XP:
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
>>>
>>
>>But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.
>>
>>Why can't I just make a change?
>
>
> You can. The popup is just to remind you that changes have been made.
> Changes made with MSCONFIG

> should be temporary only for diagnostic and

> testing purposes.

Should?

But what if I'm too lazy or stupid??




Permanent changes should be done by uninstalling or
> reconfiguring the application involved or by editing the registry.
> Hence the reminder that you have made changes.
>
> When you click on the "Don't show.." box the popup goes away, but only
> until you make further changes with MSCONFIG, at which point the popup
> returns until you again click on the "Don't show...." checkbox.
>
> Hope this explains the situation.
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:33:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

>> But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.

Yes. you can.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org


"Al" <ecarecar@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11fkcfm3gfa9lce@corp.supernews.com...
> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System Configuration
>> utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press OK. If that does
>> not help, see this page:
>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.h...
>>
>>
>> How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
>> XP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
>>
>
> But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.
>
> Why can't I just make a change?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:48:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Al <ecarecar@yahoo.com> wrote:


>
>Should?
>
>But what if I'm too lazy or stupid??
>
>

You would have lots of company if that were the case. :-)

But that is the "official line" with regard to using MSCONFIG.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
!