How to Stop "System Configuration Utility?"

I got a Dell Inspiron 2200 - very cheap and very good.

I fiddled with msconfig to stop some of the many, many
processes running. Now, at boot, a series of windows
open the first being the "system Configuration Utility."

How can I stop these?

PS. Where can I find a list of the processes that I
can stop?
8 answers Last reply
More about stop system configuration utility

    Did you change it from normal startup to selective or diagnostic startup on
    the general tab? The services and startup tabs show the running apps and
    processes. .

    "Al" wrote:

    > I got a Dell Inspiron 2200 - very cheap and very good.
    >
    > I fiddled with msconfig to stop some of the many, many
    > processes running. Now, at boot, a series of windows
    > open the first being the "system Configuration Utility."
    >
    > How can I stop these?
    >
    > PS. Where can I find a list of the processes that I
    > can stop?

    When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System Configuration
    utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press OK. If that does not
    help, see this page:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.htm

    How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

    --
    Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System
    > Configuration utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press
    > OK. If that does not help, see this page:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.htm
    >

    > How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
    > XP:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560

    But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.

    Why can't I just make a change?

    Al <ecarecar@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    >> When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System
    >> Configuration utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press
    >> OK. If that does not help, see this page:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.htm
    >>

    >> How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
    >> XP:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
    >>

    >But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.
    >
    >Why can't I just make a change?

    You can. The popup is just to remind you that changes have been made.
    Changes made with MSCONFIG should be temporary only for diagnostic and
    testing purposes. Permanent changes should be done by uninstalling or
    reconfiguring the application involved or by editing the registry.
    Hence the reminder that you have made changes.

    When you click on the "Don't show.." box the popup goes away, but only
    until you make further changes with MSCONFIG, at which point the popup
    returns until you again click on the "Don't show...." checkbox.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    When it shows, check the 'don't show this again' box and exit.

    See:-
    'Disable MSConfig Selective Startup Screen'

    http://www.dougknox.com/

    under Win XP Fixes.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > Al <ecarecar@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    >>
    >>>When you see the "Selective startup" reminder by the System
    >>>Configuration utility, check the option "Don't show......." and press
    >>>OK. If that does not help, see this page:
    >>>http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_nomsconfig.htm
    >>>

    >>>How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows
    >>>XP:
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560
    >>>

    >>But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.
    >>
    >>Why can't I just make a change?
    >

    > You can. The popup is just to remind you that changes have been made.
    > Changes made with MSCONFIG

    > should be temporary only for diagnostic and

    > testing purposes.

    Should?

    But what if I'm too lazy or stupid??

    Permanent changes should be done by uninstalling or
    > reconfiguring the application involved or by editing the registry.
    > Hence the reminder that you have made changes.
    >
    > When you click on the "Don't show.." box the popup goes away, but only
    > until you make further changes with MSCONFIG, at which point the popup
    > returns until you again click on the "Don't show...." checkbox.
    >
    > Hope this explains the situation.
    >
    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    >> But, I need to run the "System Configuration Utility.

    Yes. you can.

    --

    Al <ecarecar@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Should?
    >
    >But what if I'm too lazy or stupid??

    You would have lots of company if that were the case. :-)

    But that is the "official line" with regard to using MSCONFIG.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service