Booting to Linux from CD

Hi All,
PC Magazine had an article in the June 7th edition about downloading a
Knoppix Linux file and then burn it to a CD, then booting from the CD
into Linux. I downloaded the file, which is an "iso image file", and
copied it to a -R CD and tried to boot from it but no luck. (I changed
my bios boot up setting so it looks at the CD first)Has anyone here
tried this? If so, what am I doing wrong.
Paul

Paul Schilter <""paulschilter\"@comcast dot net"> wrote:
>I downloaded the file, which is an "iso image file", and
>copied it to a -R CD and tried to boot from it

It doesn't work like that. You need to burn the ISO image into a CD,
not copy the file to a CD-Rom disk. Look on your CD burning program
for details. On Nero it's "New Compilation", "CD-ROM(ISO)", in Easy
CD Creator it's "Record CD from CD image".

The *.iso file is an image of the boot disk. Use Nero or a similar program
to create the CD. Usually just double clicking on the *.iso file will start
your burning program - if you have one.

"Paul Schilter" <""paulschilter\"@comcast dot net"> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> PC Magazine had an article in the June 7th edition about downloading a
> Knoppix Linux file and then burn it to a CD, then booting from the CD into
> Linux. I downloaded the file, which is an "iso image file", and copied it
> to a -R CD and tried to boot from it but no luck. (I changed my bios boot
> up setting so it looks at the CD first)Has anyone here tried this? If so,
> what am I doing wrong.
> Paul

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

The file you downloaded cannot simply be copied to a CD. An ISO file is a
CD image. The CD must be created using software capably of using the ISO
file to extract the Image and burn it to a CD. (For example, in NERO there
is an option called Burn Image). The native Windows XP burning does not
have this capability. If you have a program like Nero, Roxio, or Sonic
check that programs help re. how to burn an Image.
--

On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:35:07 -0400, Paul Schilter wrote:

> Hi All,
> PC Magazine had an article in the June 7th edition about downloading a
> Knoppix Linux file and then burn it to a CD, then booting from the CD
> into Linux. I downloaded the file, which is an "iso image file", and
> copied it to a -R CD and tried to boot from it but no luck. (I changed
> my bios boot up setting so it looks at the CD first)Has anyone here
> tried this? If so, what am I doing wrong.

ISO Recorder is your friend:
<http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm>

Use the beta if you're running sp2.

--

-Jeff B.
zoomie at fastmail dot fm

Paul Schilter > wrote:
> Hi All,
> PC Magazine had an article in the June 7th edition about downloading a
> Knoppix Linux file and then burn it to a CD, then booting from the CD
> into Linux. I downloaded the file, which is an "iso image file", and
> copied it to a -R CD and tried to boot from it but no luck. (I changed
> my bios boot up setting so it looks at the CD first)Has anyone here
> tried this? If so, what am I doing wrong.
> Paul

Well enough people have told you how to get it to run; I just wanted to
add that if you like Knoppix, there's lots of other live distro's that
may be worth a look. I partcularly like damnsmalllinux (fits on a
bisiness card CD that you can keep in your wallet for emergency data
recovery, etc.) and Slax (based on Slackware).

Thanks to all that replied. I downloaded Niro 6.6 and "burned" the image
to CD. This worked correctly as all said it would.
Again, thanks.
Paul