sound coming from system on gx150

Hi all,

First time on this group . . .

I am running a gx150 at work. It runs fine and has been for a few
months, but it frequently makes a faint noise that sounds sort of like
it's an alert, or siren (not quite the same). Is this a standard noise
that is trying to tell me something?

Thanks,

Lionel.

"Lionel" <lionel@itee.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> First time on this group . . .
>
> I am running a gx150 at work. It runs fine and has been for a few months,
> but it frequently makes a faint noise that sounds sort of like it's an
> alert, or siren (not quite the same). Is this a standard noise that is
> trying to tell me something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lionel.

When is it happening, during boot - or at desktop?

Could be a normal POST beep, or the less frequent keyboard 'beep' when a
certain key combination is pressed.

At boot/post, error beeps are typically accompanied by text error messages
as long as the system has video.

Stew

Lionel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First time on this group . . .
>
> I am running a gx150 at work. It runs fine and has been for a few
> months, but it frequently makes a faint noise that sounds sort of like
> it's an alert, or siren (not quite the same). Is this a standard noise
> that is trying to tell me something?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lionel.

High pitched variable "whine" is the video adapter - capacitor or
inductor noise. Boot to safe mode and see if the sound remains. If it
is not heard in safe mode when the video adapter driver is not loaded,
then the noise is from the adapter.

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Lionel" <lionel@itee.uq.edu.au> wrote in message
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>First time on this group . . .
>>
>>I am running a gx150 at work. It runs fine and has been for a few months,
>>but it frequently makes a faint noise that sounds sort of like it's an
>>alert, or siren (not quite the same). Is this a standard noise that is
>>trying to tell me something?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Lionel.
>

> When is it happening, during boot - or at desktop?

At the desktop . . . reasonable regularly to the point that I stopped
noticing it until someone in my office asked "what on earth is that".

> Could be a normal POST beep, or the less frequent keyboard 'beep' when a
> certain key combination is pressed.

I don't think so. It's not a standard beep it's sort of a siren noise
starting at low pitch and increasing to high.

Lionel.

> At the desktop . . . reasonable regularly to the point that I stopped
> noticing it until someone in my office asked "what on earth is that".
> I don't think so. It's not a standard beep it's sort of a siren noise
> starting at low pitch and increasing to high.

Could be something daft like dust / debris in one of the fans...

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> At the desktop . . . reasonable regularly to the point that I stopped
>> noticing it until someone in my office asked "what on earth is that".
>> I don't think so. It's not a standard beep it's sort of a siren noise
>> starting at low pitch and increasing to high.
>
> Could be something daft like dust / debris in one of the fans...
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

Could be a cable rubbing the main CPU fan as it speeds up. ?

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
>>>At the desktop . . . reasonable regularly to the point that I stopped
>>>noticing it until someone in my office asked "what on earth is that".
>>>I don't think so. It's not a standard beep it's sort of a siren noise
>>>starting at low pitch and increasing to high.
>>
>>Could be something daft like dust / debris in one of the fans...
>>
>>--
>>Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
>>--- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
>

> Could be a cable rubbing the main CPU fan as it speeds up. ?

Both of these ideas sound reasonable to me actually. I will pull it
apart at some stage and have a look.

Cheers,

Lionel.

Quaoar wrote:
> Lionel wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>First time on this group . . .
>>
>>I am running a gx150 at work. It runs fine and has been for a few
>>months, but it frequently makes a faint noise that sounds sort of like
>>it's an alert, or siren (not quite the same). Is this a standard noise
>>that is trying to tell me something?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Lionel.
>

> High pitched variable "whine" is the video adapter - capacitor or
> inductor noise. Boot to safe mode and see if the sound remains. If it
> is not heard in safe mode when the video adapter driver is not loaded,
> then the noise is from the adapter.

I left out the fact that I'm running Linux . . .