SATA RAID Drives on new Dell 400SC ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I bought a barebones Dell server (with 2.8G Hyperthreaded CPU) and am
thinking of adding a RAID 1 using 2 IDE drives.
I am wondering what advantage is there of using the SATA drives. Also is
the installation of these drives much different from regular IDE raid? I was
thinking of using the Adaptec 1210SA.

Appreciate comments and suggestions.
5 answers Last reply
More about sata raid drives dell 400sc
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    400SC supports SATA right off the system board though the cables are much
    narrower...about 1/3" wide....so make sure you get them with the drive.

    The install is the same as a standard IDE drive...the BIOS will see the SATA
    drive on boot.

    Advantage? SPEED! MUCH FASTER than standard IDE drives.

    "somebody" <vkumarsomeone@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > I bought a barebones Dell server (with 2.8G Hyperthreaded CPU) and am
    > thinking of adding a RAID 1 using 2 IDE drives.
    > I am wondering what advantage is there of using the SATA drives. Also is
    > the installation of these drives much different from regular IDE raid? I
    was
    > thinking of using the Adaptec 1210SA.
    >
    > Appreciate comments and suggestions.

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Patrick" <pearcepd@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
    > 400SC supports SATA right off the system board though the cables are much
    > narrower...about 1/3" wide....so make sure you get them with the drive.
    >
    > The install is the same as a standard IDE drive...the BIOS will see the
    SATA
    > drive on boot.
    >
    > Advantage? SPEED! MUCH FASTER than standard IDE drives.
    >

    > "somebody" <vkumarsomeone@sonic.net> wrote in message
    > > I bought a barebones Dell server (with 2.8G Hyperthreaded CPU) and am
    > > thinking of adding a RAID 1 using 2 IDE drives.
    > > I am wondering what advantage is there of using the SATA drives. Also
    is
    > > the installation of these drives much different from regular IDE raid? I
    > was
    > > thinking of using the Adaptec 1210SA.
    > >
    > > Appreciate comments and suggestions.

    But the RAID will still need a seperate card right?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "somebody" <vkumarsomeone@sonic.net> wrote...

    > But the RAID will still need a seperate card right?

    Not in many/most cases.

    Many current motherboards have on-board RAID 0 and RAID 1 capability without
    add-on cards. Most are limited to 2 SATA drives for RAID 0/1, though. Adding
    another pair or going to RAID 5 will usually require another card.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote in message
    > "somebody" <vkumarsomeone@sonic.net> wrote...
    > >
    > > But the RAID will still need a seperate card right?
    >
    > Not in many/most cases.
    >
    > Many current motherboards have on-board RAID 0 and RAID 1 capability
    without
    > add-on cards. Most are limited to 2 SATA drives for RAID 0/1, though.
    Adding
    > another pair or going to RAID 5 will usually require another card.

    So can I configure for Raid 1 on the Dell 400SC without buying and add on
    card? Does the m/b have RAID built in?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    The main difference with setting up SATA is that you get 1 drive per SATA channel, there is no master slave.

    "somebody" <vkumarsomeone@sonic.net> wrote in message news:Pb3fc.5575$Fo4.68152@typhoon.sonic.net...
    > I bought a barebones Dell server (with 2.8G Hyperthreaded CPU) and am
    > thinking of adding a RAID 1 using 2 IDE drives.
    > I am wondering what advantage is there of using the SATA drives. Also is
    > the installation of these drives much different from regular IDE raid? I was
    > thinking of using the Adaptec 1210SA.
    >
    > Appreciate comments and suggestions.

Dell NAS / RAID SATA Computers