[Solved] Install Windows 7 Upgrade on a Second Drive

captaincougar

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
I have a drive on a desktop that had XP on it, and I removed the drive, and formatted it. When I try to install Windows 7 to the clean drive, it says windows is installing everything, but all I get is the splash screen, and nothing else, no files or anything. Could use some help. I have tried this a number of times with the same result. I have an ASUS motherboard. (A8V). 2 GB of memory. The hard drive is a 500 GB Seagate I got about 11 months ago. Thank You, Ron

When you removed the hard drive where did you format it? You have any other drives or usb sticks connected to the Pc? The Windows installer says it's loading files and then there are no files on the drive at all? Is the hard drive listed as the first boot drive in the bios? If the hard drive was formatted on another computer was the Sata mode set to AHCI or IDE and in your computer is the Sata mode set to AHCI or IDE?

captaincougar

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
inzone, I formatted the drive using my laptop and an external hard drive enclosure. It was set to AHCI, I guess. The format worked, and I reinstalled the drive in my desktop, and was able to get Win 7 installed and set up. Everything seems to be working fine. Thank you for your help. Ron