Dimension 4200 and MythTV

Would I be happy if I bought a Dimension 4200 to use as a MythTV PVR?
It's on sale right now.

Here are the specs:

Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.4GHz with 400MHz front side bus
256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
48x CD-RW Drive
Integrated Intel® 3D Extreme Graphics
Integrated Audio
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

If I bought it, I'd add more RAM and a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 MPEG2
encoder and decoder card.

Will all that Dell hardware work in Linux? (I plan to use KnoppMyth,
which is Debian.)

Note that TiVo isn't available in my country.

Thanks

"Tim Messer" <please.dont@email.me> wrote in message
> Would I be happy if I bought a Dimension 4200 to use as a MythTV PVR? It's
> on sale right now.
>
> Here are the specs:
>
> Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.4GHz with 400MHz front side bus
> 256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
> 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
> 48x CD-RW Drive
> Integrated Intel® 3D Extreme Graphics
> Integrated Audio
> Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
>
> If I bought it, I'd add more RAM and a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 MPEG2
> encoder and decoder card.
>
> Will all that Dell hardware work in Linux? (I plan to use KnoppMyth, which
> is Debian.)
>
> Note that TiVo isn't available in my country.
>
> Thanks

Are you sure it's a Dimension 4200? The 4200 was a UK/Japan machine and (I
thought) used PC133 SDRAM; in effect it was like the older Dimension 4100
but in the hinged case. ?

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:
> Are you sure it's a Dimension 4200? The 4200 was a UK/Japan machine and (I
> thought) used PC133 SDRAM; in effect it was like the older Dimension 4100
> but in the hinged case. ?
>

> Stew

Sorry, you're right. It's the Dimension 2400.

> S.Lewis wrote:
>> Are you sure it's a Dimension 4200? The 4200 was a UK/Japan machine and
>> (I thought) used PC133 SDRAM; in effect it was like the older Dimension
>> 4100 but in the hinged case. ?
>>

>> Stew
>

> Sorry, you're right. It's the Dimension 2400.

No biggie,Tim . I was just surprised. Don't see many 4200's in here. Sorry
I can't help with your specific question but I'm sure someone can and will.

Stew

Tim Messer wrote:

> Would I be happy if I bought a Dimension 4200 to use as a MythTV PVR?
> It's on sale right now.
>
> Here are the specs:
>
> Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.4GHz with 400MHz front side bus
> 256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
> 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
> 48x CD-RW Drive
> Integrated Intel® 3D Extreme Graphics
> Integrated Audio
> Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
>
> If I bought it, I'd add more RAM and a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 MPEG2
> encoder and decoder card.
>
> Will all that Dell hardware work in Linux? (I plan to use KnoppMyth,
> which is Debian.)
>
> Note that TiVo isn't available in my country.
>
> Thanks

It ought to be alright; you may want to check this site for more info:
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#hw

"Nicholas Andrade" <SDNick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Tim Messer wrote:
>
>> Would I be happy if I bought a Dimension 4200 to use as a MythTV PVR?
>> It's on sale right now.
>>
>> Here are the specs:
>>
>> Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.4GHz with 400MHz front side bus
>> 256MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
>> 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
>> 48x CD-RW Drive
>> Integrated Intel® 3D Extreme Graphics
>> Integrated Audio
>> Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
>>
>> If I bought it, I'd add more RAM and a Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 MPEG2
>> encoder and decoder card.
>>
>> Will all that Dell hardware work in Linux? (I plan to use KnoppMyth,
>> which is Debian.)
>>
>> Note that TiVo isn't available in my country.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> It ought to be alright; you may want to check this site for more info:
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#hw

I use a 2400 as my media server running Snapstream. The major limitation is
the onboard graphics. It is not capable of properly rendering video with
Snapstream so I had to spend money for a PCI video card. For the extra
money, I could have just bought a 4700, which I would recommend for you too.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:
> I use a 2400 as my media server running Snapstream. The major limitation is
> the onboard graphics. It is not capable of properly rendering video with
> Snapstream so I had to spend money for a PCI video card. For the extra
> money, I could have just bought a 4700, which I would recommend for you too.
>
> Tom

Unfortunately the 4700 is not on sale and so is more than twice as much. :(

> Tom Scales wrote:
>> I use a 2400 as my media server running Snapstream. The major limitation
>> is the onboard graphics. It is not capable of properly rendering video
>> with Snapstream so I had to spend money for a PCI video card. For the
>> extra money, I could have just bought a 4700, which I would recommend for
>> you too.
>>
>> Tom
>

> Unfortunately the 4700 is not on sale and so is more than twice as much.
> :(

Patience. It will be on sale and end up around $100 more than the 2400.

For example, outlet site, small business:

Dimension 4700
P4-2.8
XP Home
512MB
80GB
SB-Live
CD-RW

$349

Tom

In other words, a good machine for your TIVO-like box. Perhaps a little lar