How do I adjust monitor color in Windows? New monitor is p..

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.

Thanks.

curious

On Fri, 06 May 2005 10:03:37 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.

What are the control buttons on the front of the monitor for? How
about looking into Control Panel, Display, and the graphics card
controls?

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

Click on Start, then go into Settings, then Control Panel. Double click on the Display
icon. Is there a tab in the box that opens for color? That's where you would be able to
change the color properties.

On Fri, 06 May 2005 09:49:10 -0400, Mikey <Not_Here@Not_There_Either.nope> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>Click on Start, then go into Settings, then Control Panel. Double click on the Display
>icon. Is there a tab in the box that opens for color? That's where you would be able to
>change the color properties.

I don't see a tab like that. When I was able to adjust the color I had a different hard
disk. I'm starting to wonder if the problem is with the drivers I'm using. They may be
different from the ones I had on the other hard disk. Thanks.

G-Man

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

I adjust with a ColorVision Spyder2 Pro.

www.colorvision.com

I process a lot of photos for printing. This is worth it's weight in gold.

G-Man

<DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
> whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
> adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I
> forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

Are you sure you have the correct video card driver (what does it say in
Device Manager) and that your monitor connection to the computer is solid
(not loose or crimped funny)? Did your old monitor look good? If so, then
you probably just have a poor or defective monitor.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 03:05:39 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com> wrote:

>Are you sure you have the correct video card driver (what does it say in
>Device Manager) and that your monitor connection to the computer is solid
>(not loose or crimped funny)?

Yes the drivers are correct. Device manager says STB Velocity 128. The cable looks
reasonable straight and the connection is tight.

> Did your old monitor look good? If so, then
>you probably just have a poor or defective monitor.

Yeah my old monitor looked fantastic, an aperture grille Iiyama. I'm sure my monitor is
the problem. Thanks.

On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:35:59 -0400, "G-Man" <shoot.digital@gmail.com> wrote:

>I adjust with a ColorVision Spyder2 Pro.
>
>www.colorvision.com
>
>I process a lot of photos for printing. This is worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks. I'll check it out. At this point I'm wondering if color adjustment will even help
much. The colors are so washed out I can't imagine anything making them look like they
should.

>G-Man
>

><DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
>> whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
>> adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I
>> forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:59:00 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>

>>Honestly, I would not buy any computer or monitor with the HP brand name on it.
>

> Me neither but it was the best CRT I could find in a store. There's very little selection.

In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.

tanya

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

hi,
have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
and
have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
and
do you have display properties at all?
(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
what options do you have-- any?
and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
if you have an option to increase resolution try it...

arnie

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

for chirst's sake will you just go out and buy a quality monitor! they
exist so get off your duff and look. you've writtten books in here about
this no brain decision. for somebody mired in a ten year old OS (Win95b?!,
barf!) you are spending far too much time agonizing over this.

and load the damn drivers for the monitor like you're supposed to! and the
latest video card drivers too! though given the state of the art system you
got there who knows if a decent monitor will want to be seen with you!

arnie

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

<DaveJohnson12@nomail.> wrote in message
> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I
forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&product=444447&lang=en&cc=us&os=20&softwareitem=pv-30207-1

Did you load these on your system? (W98 should work)

tanya

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>
> Thanks.

hi,
another thing to look at (imho) is the BIOS settings (likely not useful BUT...)
not sure what bios you have but under 'video configuration' (under 'advanced') are some
settings for video cards...
i don't see whether your video card was changed (or whether the card's an issue).... but
perhaps changing the settings in the BIOS might help (the settings explain what they're for)
(make sure before changing anything that you write down what it was before changing)
again i'd FIRST see whether your new monitor is a lemon:) by trying it on another pc.... also
try the old monitor on the dell again...
hth

On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:04:05 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>> On Sat, 07 May 2005 01:59:00 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
>>

>>>Honestly, I would not buy any computer or monitor with the HP brand name on it.
>>

>> Me neither but it was the best CRT I could find in a store. There's very little selection.
>

>In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
>monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
>significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
>do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
>lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
>does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.

Finding them is the hard part. I've seen Viewsonics and NECs that were not at all good.
The Viewsonic that the chains (CompUSA and PC Richard) are selling now is not a good
monitor, blurry text and colors don't look right. I've seen NECs with blurry text, brand
new. Thanks.

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:04:05 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:
>

> >DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> >> Me neither but it was the best CRT I could find in a store. There's
very little selection.

> >In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
> >monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
> >significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
> >do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
> >lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
> >does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.
>
> Finding them is the hard part. I've seen Viewsonics and NECs that were not
at all good.
> The Viewsonic that the chains (CompUSA and PC Richard) are selling now is
not a good
> monitor, blurry text and colors don't look right. I've seen NECs with
blurry text, brand
> new. Thanks.

Seriously, when was the last time you had your eyes checked?!

On Sat, 7 May 2005 16:22:22 -0400, "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com> wrote:

>for chirst's sake will you just go out and buy a quality monitor!

That's a good idea.

> they
>exist so get off your duff and look. you've writtten books in here about
>this no brain decision.

I looked at 7 or 8 CRT monitors and picked the best one. As I said there isn't much of a
selection available.

> for somebody mired in a ten year old OS (Win95b?!,

It's only 7 years old. I bought it in '98. ;-)

>barf!) you are spending far too much time agonizing over this.
>
>and load the damn drivers for the monitor like you're supposed to!

For what purpose? Several people have told me I don't need them and they gave good
reasons.

> and the
>latest video card drivers too!

As I said, I have them.

> though given the state of the art system you
>got there who knows if a decent monitor will want to be seen with you!

Based on what you've written, you know nothing. Did you name a single high quality CRT
brand and model? No.

"Just get a good monitor."
"Install the monitor drivers that you don't need and that require an OS you don't have."
"Look for a good monitor."
"Get the video card drivers you already have."

Thanks for the valuable advice, Einstein.

> On Sat, 7 May 2005 16:22:22 -0400, "arnie" <arnie@hubbabubba.com> wrote:
>
> >for chirst's sake will you just go out and buy a quality monitor!
>
> That's a good idea.
>
> > they
> >exist so get off your duff and look. you've writtten books in here about
> >this no brain decision.
>
> I looked at 7 or 8 CRT monitors and picked the best one. As I said there
isn't much of a
> selection available.

Well then stop whining and settle for mediocrity unless you want to do your
research and buy from a reputable dealer on the web. There are several of
them. www.newegg.com is a local favorite.

> > for somebody mired in a ten year old OS (Win95b?!,
>
> It's only 7 years old. I bought it in '98. ;-)

Great, it was obsolete when bought it. Like them bargains huh?!

> >barf!) you are spending far too much time agonizing over this.
> >
> >and load the damn drivers for the monitor like you're supposed to!
>
> For what purpose? Several people have told me I don't need them and they
gave good
> reasons.

Gee, you think these monitor manufacturers give you this stuff because its
useless? It provides information to the OS and video system. If you had a
new OS that came with the drivers loaded then no issue. But you have a
dinosaur that was written 10 years before your mointor was built. Last I
knew, W95 wasn't telepathic! Please read up on it before believing
everything you read on the web.

> > and the
> >latest video card drivers too!
>
> As I said, I have them.

Right... And how old is that video card? Could it also be heading south on
you?

> > though given the state of the art system you
> >got there who knows if a decent monitor will want to be seen with you!
> >

> Based on what you've written, you know nothing. Did you name a single high
quality CRT
> brand and model? No.

Got a great Samsung LCD. I don't buy monitors anymore so you're going to
have to do your own research. There are still decent ones out there. But
why buy an HP that's a retag of some China knockoff? What do you expect?

> "Just get a good monitor."
> "Install the monitor drivers that you don't need and that require an OS
you don't have."
> "Look for a good monitor."
> "Get the video card drivers you already have."
>
> Thanks for the valuable advice, Einstein.

You're rather clueless so I doubt any amount of advice, even from Einstein,
will help you. Why don't you just wait until Dell is running a special that
involves one of their 17"Ultrasharp LCDs on a 4700 and then go for it. Your
system is so archaic it is ridiculous to put any money into it. I saw
better systems in the heap at the recycle drive today!

arnie

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2004

On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:26:00 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>hi,
>have you tried the new monitor on another machine?

No.

>and
>have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?

No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and having a red tint
to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am reasonable sure the problem
was with the old monitor.

>and
>do you have display properties at all?
>(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
>what options do you have-- any?

Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.

>and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?

It's the same screen.

>if you have an option to increase resolution try it...

Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good for a 17" monitor.
Thanks.

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:26:00 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net>
wrote:

> >DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or
whatever you want. I
> >> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no
adjusment on the
> >> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC.
I forgot how to
> >> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> >hi,
> >have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
>
> No.
>
> >and
> >have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
>
> No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and
having a red tint
> to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am reasonable
sure the problem
> was with the old monitor.
>
> >and
> >do you have display properties at all?
> >(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
> >what options do you have-- any?
>
> Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.
>
> >and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
>
> It's the same screen.
>
> >if you have an option to increase resolution try it...
> >

> Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good
for a 17" monitor.
> Thanks.

It's got .28mm dot pitch. Not real great!
From your user manual: 1024 x 768 85 Hz (preferred user resolution)

tanya

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:26:00 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
> >DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
> >> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
> >> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
> >> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> >hi,
> >have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
>
> No.

if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!

> >and
> >have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
>
> No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and having a red tint
> to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am reasonable sure the problem
> was with the old monitor.

since you have 2 *abnormal* monitors -- the video card could be off...... perhaps you can reseat
it?

> >and
> >do you have display properties at all?
> >(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
> >what options do you have-- any?
>
> Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.
>
> >and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
>
> It's the same screen.
>
> >if you have an option to increase resolution try it...
> >

> Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good for a 17" monitor.
> Thanks.

just to see whether the monitor is capable of anything.....

when you choose settings, what options do you have?
there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should have the color? do you?
if you have that option, raise (or lower) color to high color 16 bits.
i assume that you have made certain that the monitor is SECURELY attached to pc.

"Tanya" <tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 07 May 2005 12:26:00 -0400, Tanya
<tjtmdREMOVE_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

PC. I forgot how to

> > >hi,
> > >have you tried the new monitor on another machine?
> >
> > No.
>
> if it is not too inconvenient you should try it!
>

> > >and
> > >have you tried your old monitor on the dell again?
> >
> > No. The old monitor would switch back and forth between looking fine and
having a red tint
> > to everything. The new monitor hasn't done this at all so I am
reasonable sure the problem
> > was with the old monitor.
>
> since you have 2 *abnormal* monitors -- the video card could be off......
perhaps you can reseat
> it?
>
> > >and
> > >do you have display properties at all?
> > >(control panel-> display ->dbl click)
> > >what options do you have-- any?
> >
> > Background, screen saver, appearance and settings.
> >
> > >and if you right click the desktop and choose properties?
> >
> > It's the same screen.
> >
> > >if you have an option to increase resolution try it...
> > >

> > Not a bad thought but I don't want higher resolution, 600 x 800 is good
for a 17" monitor.
> > Thanks.
>
> just to see whether the monitor is capable of anything.....
>

> when you choose settings, what options do you have?
> there should be an 'advanced' bottom at the bottom right....you should
have the color? do you?
> if you have that option, raise (or lower) color to high color 16 bits.
> i assume that you have made certain that the monitor is SECURELY attached
to pc.

AND there are no broken pins!

On Sat, 07 May 2005 19:18:25 -0400, Tanya <tjtmdOMIT_THIS@attglobal.net> wrote:

>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:
>
>> I'm using Windows 95b. There is a way to make the color more red or whatever you want. I
>> remember there is a way to save more than one setting. There is no adjusment on the
>> monitor itself to do this. The monitor is an HP mx705. It's a Dell PC. I forgot how to
>> make these adjustments and had no luck with Google.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>hi,
>another thing to look at (imho) is the BIOS settings (likely not useful BUT...)
>not sure what bios you have but under 'video configuration' (under 'advanced') are some
>settings for video cards...
>i don't see whether your video card was changed (or whether the card's an issue).... but
>perhaps changing the settings in the BIOS might help (the settings explain what they're for)
>(make sure before changing anything that you write down what it was before changing)
>again i'd FIRST see whether your new monitor is a lemon:) by trying it on another pc.... also
>try the old monitor on the dell again...
>hth

I don't think the BIOS will help. I think a CRT should work okay without any BIOS changes.
See my other reply to you about trouble shooting. Thanks for your suggestions.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

As always, the mass market stores sell low-priced junk, even with a name brand
on it. The mass market stores and the name brand companies figure they can sell
schlock to the masses... Ben Myers

On Sun, 08 May 2005 02:29:52 GMT, DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>On Sat, 07 May 2005 11:04:05 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142> wrote:
>

>>DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

>>> Me neither but it was the best CRT I could find in a store. There's very little selection.
>>

>>In a store and not bundled with a system, the more common
>>monitor brands such as ViewSonic, NEC, etc., should ranked
>>significantly better than HP. Of course, one thing to always
>>do with monitors is to test their suitability not under store
>>lighting but in the actual work environment. And if the store
>>does not carry name-brand monitors, find the stores that do.
>
>Finding them is the hard part. I've seen Viewsonics and NECs that were not at all good.
>The Viewsonic that the chains (CompUSA and PC Richard) are selling now is not a good
>monitor, blurry text and colors don't look right. I've seen NECs with blurry text, brand
>new. Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion,alt.windows95,alt.os.windows95 (More info?)

Right click an empty spot on the desktop.
Click Properties
Click settings
Is there a color setting now?
High color or True color etc.