RC

I have reinstalled (format C:) Win 98 machines but never an XP. My dell is
acting up - corrupted recyle bin, can't use Outlook express, can't print
(the printer works) so I'm thinking something got screwed up. Dell can walk
me throught this for $79 but I want to try it on my own first. Do you have
to reformat the drive first or can you use the disks that Dell sent and just
reinstall (problem is I'm using SP2 now and it came with SP1. I have no
clue how to proceed - is there a website I can access that will walk me
through this or can anyone here help?

Thanks
Bob

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

You'll probably have activation problems.
Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/oempreac.mspx

"RC" <southwind89@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have reinstalled (format C:) Win 98 machines but never an XP. My dell is
> acting up - corrupted recyle bin, can't use Outlook express, can't print
> (the printer works) so I'm thinking something got screwed up. Dell can
> walk
> me throught this for $79 but I want to try it on my own first. Do you
> have
> to reformat the drive first or can you use the disks that Dell sent and
> just
> reinstall (problem is I'm using SP2 now and it came with SP1. I have no
> clue how to proceed - is there a website I can access that will walk me
> through this or can anyone here help?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Hello,

This is the best website you can find on how to perform a clean install:

You can use your DELL OEM disks to perform the install and after the install process completes, you
can easily install SP2 and additional patches through automatic updates or by visting the
Windowsupdate website.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"RC" <southwind89@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ddd9m8$adc$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>I have reinstalled (format C:) Win 98 machines but never an XP. My dell is
> acting up - corrupted recyle bin, can't use Outlook express, can't print
> (the printer works) so I'm thinking something got screwed up. Dell can walk
> me throught this for $79 but I want to try it on my own first. Do you have
> to reformat the drive first or can you use the disks that Dell sent and just
> reinstall (problem is I'm using SP2 now and it came with SP1. I have no
> clue how to proceed - is there a website I can access that will walk me
> through this or can anyone here help?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

Hi,

Installation is no big deal. If you are using Dell's disks you may get
several choices, including reformating the hdd. If you are not concerned
with losing your data you can do that, but you will lose all. You may want
to try a repair install, if that is an option and so may get your previous
OS running again. One of the important things to consider in your
installation is having the drivers available of other hardware that you have
added onto your system that won't be included on the XP disks. Additionally,
since the disks did not have SP2 you will have to go to MS to download it
again. Additionally, you may have have to call MS. to activate XP. Dell
should be able to tell you that at no charge if that's necessary.

However, before doing any of this can you start your machine in Safe mode?
If so you may then be able to save some of your files, or even do a System
Restore to a previous configuration that was not letting Windows boot.

There are litterally hundreds of web sites that will give you additional
information about installing WinXP.
ie: http://www.tweakhound.com/xp/installxp/installXP1.htm

$79 to install XP? (LOL) Now that's something to think about.

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"RC" <southwind89@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have reinstalled (format C:) Win 98 machines but never an XP. My dell is
> acting up - corrupted recyle bin, can't use Outlook express, can't print
> (the printer works) so I'm thinking something got screwed up. Dell can
> walk
> me throught this for $79 but I want to try it on my own first. Do you
> have
> to reformat the drive first or can you use the disks that Dell sent and
> just
> reinstall (problem is I'm using SP2 now and it came with SP1. I have no
> clue how to proceed - is there a website I can access that will walk me
> through this or can anyone here help?
>
> Thanks
> Bob

TRENDING THREADS