If you are using flash it might be the batteries.
I'm assuming AA cells -- if using rechargeables maybe they are on the way out. Try some regular non-recharge Duracells and see if the problem is less pronounced.
Generally this is a rather good camera and I would hesitate to replace it.
I didn't get this reply until I had found the answer myself...but yup, it was the flash recycle time! I am using REALLY good AA batteries (Energizer Lithium). If I disable flash, bingo! I can manually set the flash to 1/3 and 2/3 power and reduce the charge time, but that requires shooting in manual mode, which my wife won't do.