i delete a dll file and it's there again. is it normal?

August 10, 2005 1:29:02 PM

Hello all,

I have observed a strange behaviour with a library, but i do not if it is
normal or not. here it is,
I change the name of the library shimgvw.dll to shimgvw_OFF.dll
and automatically, i have two files now, the renamed one and a new copy of
the file shimgvw.dll
Is this normal?
I did the same with other (non windows) libraries and they do not replicate
just like that.

want to check if the file could be infected, and also learn about behaviour
of windows libraries.
thanks.

More about : delete dll file normal

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:33:51 PM

Thats the picture and fax viewer

victor_7000 wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have observed a strange behaviour with a library, but i do not if it is
> normal or not. here it is,
> I change the name of the library shimgvw.dll to shimgvw_OFF.dll
> and automatically, i have two files now, the renamed one and a new copy of
> the file shimgvw.dll
> Is this normal?
> I did the same with other (non windows) libraries and they do not replicate
> just like that.
>
> want to check if the file could be infected, and also learn about behaviour
> of windows libraries.
> thanks.

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:34:10 PM

From: "victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Hello all,
|
| I have observed a strange behaviour with a library, but i do not if it is
| normal or not. here it is,
| I change the name of the library shimgvw.dll to shimgvw_OFF.dll
| and automatically, i have two files now, the renamed one and a new copy of
| the file shimgvw.dll
| Is this normal?
| I did the same with other (non windows) libraries and they do not replicate
| just like that.
|
| want to check if the file could be infected, and also learn about behaviour
| of windows libraries.
| thanks.

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, this PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus Command Line Scanners to
remove
viruses and various other malware.

way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor’s web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
August 10, 2005 4:36:31 PM

victor_7000 wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have observed a strange behaviour with a library, but i do not if it is
> normal or not. here it is,
> I change the name of the library shimgvw.dll to shimgvw_OFF.dll
> and automatically, i have two files now, the renamed one and a new copy of
> the file shimgvw.dll
> Is this normal?
> I did the same with other (non windows) libraries and they do not replicate
> just like that.
>
> want to check if the file could be infected, and also learn about behaviour
> of windows libraries.
> thanks.

You are seeing windows file protection in action. Core operating system
files are protected so that if they are overwritten or deleted, they are
automatically replaced with the original file again. For additional
information on this see the following KB article:

Description of the Windows File Protection Feature
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=222193
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

August 10, 2005 8:41:14 PM

windows file protection replaces it after you screw it up
maybe boot up in safe mode and try your experiment

"victor_7000" <victor7000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have observed a strange behaviour with a library, but i do not if it is
> normal or not. here it is,
> I change the name of the library shimgvw.dll to shimgvw_OFF.dll
> and automatically, i have two files now, the renamed one and a new copy of
> the file shimgvw.dll
> Is this normal?
> I did the same with other (non windows) libraries and they do not
> replicate
> just like that.
>
> want to check if the file could be infected, and also learn about
> behaviour
> of windows libraries.
> thanks.

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:41:15 PM

-thanks all for the information about windows protection feature.
-yes, it's related to a windows picture and fax viewer problem.
-i'll try to download those tools later.

cheers,

!