Intermittent connectivity - help!

I have an MN-500 wireless router. My problem is that I
have intermittent connectivity issues. Specifically, if
you are on one web page and you click a link, it will
immediately tell you the page cannot be displayed. But
if you go back to the referring page and click the link
again, it loads no problem. Sometimes you have to do
this several times before it will connect. Similarly,
you may type in a page of a major web site, e.g.
microsoft.com, and then you get the message that "We
cannot find..." and "Did you mean to go to one of the
following sites?" And, to add insult to injury, it will
show the exact URL for the site you just entered. Grrrr!

Here's what is weird, however. If I'm using a VPN
connection with my work, I don't have any problems. I've
also tried taking out the router completely and
hardwiring directly into the cable modem (no VPN), and no
problem there either. It is only when I am using the
router - either wirelessly or hardwired into it - and NOT
creating a VPN connection with my office's network that
it gives me grief. I am experiencing this same issue
with 3 different computers in my home. I have called my
broadband provider and they say it has to be the router.
Can someone please help me before I go insane?!? Thank
you!!!

joker

Which version of the firmware are you running on the MN-500?

Dudley wrote:

> I have an MN-500 wireless router. My problem is that I
> have intermittent connectivity issues. Specifically, if
> you are on one web page and you click a link, it will
> immediately tell you the page cannot be displayed. But
> if you go back to the referring page and click the link
> again, it loads no problem. Sometimes you have to do
> this several times before it will connect. Similarly,
> you may type in a page of a major web site, e.g.
> microsoft.com, and then you get the message that "We
> cannot find..." and "Did you mean to go to one of the
> following sites?" And, to add insult to injury, it will
> show the exact URL for the site you just entered. Grrrr!
>
> Here's what is weird, however. If I'm using a VPN
> connection with my work, I don't have any problems. I've
> also tried taking out the router completely and
> hardwiring directly into the cable modem (no VPN), and no
> problem there either. It is only when I am using the
> router - either wirelessly or hardwired into it - and NOT
> creating a VPN connection with my office's network that
> it gives me grief. I am experiencing this same issue
> with 3 different computers in my home. I have called my
> broadband provider and they say it has to be the router.
> Can someone please help me before I go insane?!? Thank
> you!!!

I am running the latest: V1.11.017

joker

Is this on only one computer or several computers?

Is the computer(s) being effected wired or wireless?

What OS are/is the computer(s) that are/is having the problem?

If wireless what kind of wireless security are you using?

If wireless have you tried changing the channel being used?

That's all the questions I can think of at this point.

Dudley wrote:
> I am running the latest: V1.11.017

See my answers below...

They are normally wireless. However, if I'm wired into
the router, I still experience the same issues. But not
when I'm wired directly into my cable modem (i.e. router
removed).

>What OS are/is the computer(s) that are/is having the
problem? 2 are on Windows XP Pro. The third is on
Windows 98.

>If wireless what kind of wireless security are you
using? Running the WEP authentication and the router's
firewall.

>If wireless have you tried changing the channel being
used? Several times, but no difference.

>That's all the questions I can think of at this point.
>
>Dudley wrote:
>> I am running the latest: V1.11.017

joker

One possibility is that one of the XP computers is infected with a
virus. To check for that I'd recommend going to
http://housecall.antivirus.com & do a free online virus scan. I don't
trust locally installed virus scanners because they are the first target
of most modern viruses.

The only reason I suggest this is because the blaster virus has been
known to cause symptoms like this.

I would also recommend adding MAC filtering because of a design flaw in
WEP that allows it to be hacked into faster then it had been thought
possible.

Dudley wrote:
> See my answers below...

I am having the exact same problem, except I only have
one PC connected to the network.

Running XP SP2, Latest Firmware, all answers the same, I
have just let the router set itself up. I added the 128-
bit wep encryption on the router as well, and the discard
pings option too.

I ran the virus scan that you recommended, no viruses
detected.

My connection was fine with all of the these settings for
well over a month, then just in the past few days have I
been getting the intermittent problem.

In my log file I have a lot of these lines, but I think
they are just from when I get the "Page Cannot Be
Displayed" message in IE:

2003/02/18 22:22:22 Connection attempt to base station
from WAN blocked - src: dst:

Could it be someone nearby just trying to gain access to
my pc, or is it a router hardware issue?