No sound on Gateway G6-400 mini tower

Hi,

Recently inherited a Gateway G6-400 minitower (circa 1998). The
computer does not play sound. I have tried installing speakers
without success. Looking at hardware profile I can see PC MultiMedia
Audio Device listed which I assume is sound card but it says that
drivers are not installed (code 28).

If is is the drivers causing problem I need to know which drivers I
need and how to get them. I am running Win98 2nd ed. but am about to
upgarde to XP.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Check the card it's self to get the manufacture, model, and serial #.
Also take note of the chipset as some cards are the same make and model, but
with different chipsets and require different drivers. Then go to the
manufacturers website to get their latest drivers for your operating system.
You can also check Gateways sound card page at:
http://support.gateway.com/support/supinfo/index.asp?pg=2&file=dt_sou.html

KC

"mbarton" <mattpb@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Recently inherited a Gateway G6-400 minitower (circa 1998). The
> computer does not play sound. I have tried installing speakers
> without success. Looking at hardware profile I can see PC MultiMedia
> Audio Device listed which I assume is sound card but it says that
> drivers are not installed (code 28).
>
> If is is the drivers causing problem I need to know which drivers I
> need and how to get them. I am running Win98 2nd ed. but am about to
> upgarde to XP.
>
> Any advice?
>
> Thanks.

Try your upgrade to xp first. It may have the drivers you need - I upgraded
a G6-400 and had no sound card problems (i.e. didn't need special drivers).

"Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Try your upgrade to xp first. It may have the drivers you need - I
upgraded
> a G6-400 and had no sound card problems (i.e. didn't need special
drivers).

> "Kevin Childers" <wildthing123@charter.net> wrote in message
> > Check the card it's self to get the manufacture, model, and serial #.
> > Also take note of the chipset as some cards are the same make and model,
> > but
> > with different chipsets and require different drivers. Then go to the
> > manufacturers website to get their latest drivers for your operating
> > system.
> > You can also check Gateways sound card page at:

http://support.gateway.com/support/supinfo/index.asp?pg=2&file=dt_sou.html

> > KC
> >
> > "mbarton" <mattpb@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Recently inherited a Gateway G6-400 minitower (circa 1998). The
> >> computer does not play sound. I have tried installing speakers
> >> without success. Looking at hardware profile I can see PC MultiMedia
> >> Audio Device listed which I assume is sound card but it says that
> >> drivers are not installed (code 28).
> >>
> >> If is is the drivers causing problem I need to know which drivers I
> >> need and how to get them. I am running Win98 2nd ed. but am about to
> >> upgarde to XP.
> >>
> >> Any advice?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

Same here. Have a Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card in a Gateway G6-350
Win98SE with no drivers but when I upgraded to WinXP Pro the drivers were
installed during setup. HTH

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

Or is the sound chip integrated into the motherboard? ... Ben Myers