Sign in with
Your question

Hammer Head

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 19, 2003 2:05:36 AM

Anyone have any news on Hammer going to 2.4 Gig 1st Quarter 2004?

More about : hammer head

March 20, 2003 2:05:11 AM

i run across a PDF explain that SOI may reduce clock speed. So dont get your hope to high.

[-peep-] french
March 20, 2003 10:27:57 AM

While early unoptimized yeilds could cause less headroom, SOI is not meant at all to do this, it's the contrary, and up to 35% more clock speed per process.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
Related resources
March 23, 2003 6:00:56 AM

strained silicon or SOI or low dielecktric or any others enchantement will only help at 1 or 2 point.

Soi can help prevent a bit of noise in signal reduce leaking
Strained silicon will improve the current (mA)
A die shrink will decrease physical lantency of the transistor reduce the need of bigger voltage.

None of them help on clock speed if that is not you weak point as Itanium is power comsumation.Power 4 power consumation.P4 lack of current at very high speed noise in signal W/DIE is too high.Athlon a bit of everything.

after 0.13 there a infection point and it become hard to improve clock speed

[-peep-] french
March 23, 2003 8:14:00 AM

It would depend on the architecture really. However, a move to 90 nm means a bigger shrink in transistor size than the move to .13 micron. Keep in mind transistors are square, not linear, so you have to square the sizes and look at the difference in area.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
March 23, 2003 2:21:38 PM

SOI does indeed help provide for higher speds... 20-30% according to IBM in their research and developments. It also lowers the voltage required to attain a specific performance point. Because of this, it stands to reason that, with voltage being a primary means of ramping a CPU's speed, that, if SOI allows a CPU to achieve a particular speed at lower voltages that the CPU can attain significantly higher top speeds when using SOI than bulk silicon.

Mark-

<font color=blue>When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!</font color=blue>
March 23, 2003 9:34:25 PM

He said it does not <b>directly</b> influence clockspeed, which is somewhat true. A given architecture will eventually reach a certain "brick wall" as far as clockspeed. The only thing is, you'll run into physical limits of certain trace paths, heat and thermal limitations, transistor delay limitations, etc. long before you'll run into the clockspeed limitation of the architecture. SOI, Strained Silicon, die shrinks and other methods all help to remove these limitations, however the underlying limitation in clockspeed is still there. You simply haven't reached it yet with any of the current cores (although the K7 is getting mighty close I think).

March 24, 2003 1:26:16 AM

In any case what you just it the result of strained silicon as I=V divide by the resistance.

SOI it hust a isolateur nothing else dont think this is 1 big feature.

Im2god to you

As you say it relate a architecture.I will like to know if you got some electronic course.As i just start my at my college (ISE)

[-peep-] french
March 24, 2003 3:36:51 AM

Introduction to Computer Architecture (ECE 5C) at my university teaches the basics of such thing.

March 24, 2003 10:17:52 PM

for me university will be only in 12 month.This is if my english can improve to this point as my french is really bad (about the same as my english) i cannot enter to french university without a test in french wich i will got about 2 or 3 %.

[-peep-] french
March 24, 2003 10:35:00 PM

So what your saying is your just a kid, HUH!

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
March 25, 2003 1:46:00 AM

Aren't you a Quebecer, like a real one? If so, then why would your french be screwed up at all?!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
a b à CPUs
March 25, 2003 2:45:56 AM

Franglais maybe?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
March 25, 2003 7:02:45 PM

We're all franglais, but I've known and seen Juin in these forums to be a pure Quebecer.

--
March 25, 2003 7:24:37 PM

my writing skill is poor really poor i have fail all my frencg class from my 1 grade as i have miss 1/2 the year never been able to cath with others.

French speaking as good as anyone better compare t a lot of people that speak french.

To anserwer a others question i am 19 turning 20 in june.

[-peep-] french
March 25, 2003 11:59:34 PM

FRANGLAIS!~~~

noooooo

new brunswick is bad enuff, where i live for being overpopulated with french people lol
:D 
March 26, 2003 5:02:05 AM

Man... that's the only official bi-lingual province in Canada... hehe.. just be glad your not in Q... well you know ;) 

Whatever... you only need hal eng to writ in form... ;) 

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
!