Hi boys and girls, I require some expert insight into the world of specs and laptops.
Three days ago I took myself to Curry's and bought a HP G61-110sa for €475 which was reduced from €675.
I was also looking at a Toshiba Satellite L450D-11X for €500 reduced from €530.
The specifications and practically the exact same so I'll just list what's different:
HP -Intel Pentium T4300 @ 2.1Ghz
Tosh -AMD Turion X2 RM-74 @ 2.2Ghz
HP -Mobile Intel 4 Series - HD4500M
Tosh -ATI Radeon HD 3200
HP -4.5 hours
Tosh -2.5 hours
All the rest is practically the same. So I was thinking, I'm mostly buying this laptop for bringing to college on my bike so I want a longer lasting battery. Other than that, because of the reduction in the price because of the sale, I was getting the better deal with the HP right?
Well, now that I've had the HP for three days, I can see that Curry's were wrong about the 4.5 hour battery in the HP. It's more like 2.5 the same as the Toshiba. Maybe this laptop's battery is defective, but I'd say it's more likely that Curry's is full of it. There goes my main reason for buying the HP. SO I'M THINKING, why not bring this HP back and get the Toshiba I was thinking of. The reduced price on these laptops only lasts till Wednesday so I have only until then to return it.
So, if I may be so bold, I have some questions based on the above.
1. In general, who tend to make better quality laptops, HP or Toshiba?
2. Is there any REAL difference between AMD machines and Intel machines?
3. Which of those integrated graphics chips is better than the other? Instinctively I'd say the ATI, but I don't know.
4. Which one of these two laptops would you buy if it were your money?
I thank you for your time and/or responses. I do hope that my inane drivel hasn't bored you too much and that you can put this whole thread behind you ASAP.
Overall I would of picked the HP for the price I guess.. But it depends on what your doing.
GPU-Tosh, that 3200 kicks the poop out the the 4500
Price-HP was the cheaper one..
1. They are about the same, customer service is better on part of HP in my experience. I had a problem with a Toshiba and they're CS was virtually non-existent.
2. Yes, but not huge differences until you get into later parts. In their desktops it's about the same until you get to the i7, which AMD has nothing to compare to that besides the 955 and 965 black editions which really don't compare. And laptop wise, Intel's Core 2 duos beat anything AMD has out in the laptop section.
3. The 3200. ATI is known for their mobile chipsets, they beat almost any other chip out there. Especially the 4500.
4. The Tosh, but that's just because I like games, and do lots of graphic work. If I was in your case, I would of bought the HP.
I like games too. In fact, I'm doing a Games Development degree, so I'm sure later in the course I will be doing lots of graphics work, just not yet. And sure that's what my desktop at home is for and that's well capable of what I need it to do.
I think I'll stick to the HP. Besides all the other stuff, the HP is really nice to look at and the Toshiba was a bit ugly.
Sure I can always just upgrade the graphics card right? Or can I? I'll have to look that up.
Thanks a lot for your info mate. I guess I was just worrying that I got the wrong PC.