Which Temp Sensor to Use?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have an ASUS a7v8x. Motherboard Monitor lists two sensors for CPU temp: "diode" and "socket". Socket gives temps about 10-12 degrees C higher than "diode".

The ASUS Probe software and the BIOS seem to use the "diode" temp.

I'm assuming "diode" is the temp from the CPU itself and "socket" is from a sensor in the socket, but why is "socket" so much higher?

Which sensor should be used for the most accurate/meaningfull CPU temp? The "diode" temp is very good, but the "socket" temp is uncomfortably high.

Thanks.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
Well, being me, I would just average the two and go from there. If you want to know the average, make a chart, so when one says 65C,and the other says 52C, then you say it is 58C.

That is what I'd do.

Either that, or I would use an infrared temperature guage and see what it REALLY is.

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm pretty sure that you're right. AMD motherboards have been using thermal probes in the empty space of the socket for ages, and they've <i>always</i> been a very unreliable source for your CPU temp. So I'd just go with the diode temp and completely ignore that unreliable socket temp.

Of course, I could be wrong. :) I don't have Motherboard Monitor on an AMD platform so I don't know for certain if 'diode' is the CPU's diode and 'socket' is the sensor in the socket. Maybe 'diode' is the thermal diode mounted on the mobo and 'socket' is the temp from the CPU in the socket. It'd be silly to name them that way, but I wouldn't put it past them...

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>