"Searching for items..." in Status Bar repeats every second

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Greetings:

I have come across an interesting issue that I can not seem to find a
specific reference to despite my substantial 'googling'......

When I open Windows Explorer, and go directly to my 'My Documents' folder,
which has been redirected to a network storage drive, the Status Bar
continually repeats the phrase 'Searching for items...". If you pay
attention closely enough, you can see the mouse icon flash briefly to an
hourglass. The issue does not remain for long, but does happen about every
second. It does not cause a noticeable CPU spike, and I have confirmed that
the Indexing Service is not running. What it DOES cause is an incredibly
annoying inability to select drives or folders from the drop-down list in
many of my applications. When I click on the drop-down box to browse for a
file, the box will enumerate my documents and then quickly close, without
giving me enough time to make drive selection.

My 'googling' efforts seemed to only reveal information related to this
issue when explorer takes a long time to intialize. In my case, my
enumerations come up right away and suffers no delay. My problem is why is
it running every second, and can anyone tell me where I can disable it
(registry, control panel, or otherwise).

Thanks in advance....

Keith C. Jakobs, MCP

Byte

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Looks to me that your problem is with the network storage device.
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Keith Jakobs, MCP" wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have come across an interesting issue that I can not seem to find a
> specific reference to despite my substantial 'googling'......
>
> When I open Windows Explorer, and go directly to my 'My Documents' folder,
> which has been redirected to a network storage drive, the Status Bar
> continually repeats the phrase 'Searching for items...". If you pay
> attention closely enough, you can see the mouse icon flash briefly to an
> hourglass. The issue does not remain for long, but does happen about every
> second. It does not cause a noticeable CPU spike, and I have confirmed that
> the Indexing Service is not running. What it DOES cause is an incredibly
> annoying inability to select drives or folders from the drop-down list in
> many of my applications. When I click on the drop-down box to browse for a
> file, the box will enumerate my documents and then quickly close, without
> giving me enough time to make drive selection.
>
> My 'googling' efforts seemed to only reveal information related to this
> issue when explorer takes a long time to intialize. In my case, my
> enumerations come up right away and suffers no delay. My problem is why is
> it running every second, and can anyone tell me where I can disable it
> (registry, control panel, or otherwise).
>
> Thanks in advance....
>
> Keith C. Jakobs, MCP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It's the redirect to the network drive. Windows will constantly search all
mapped drive to make sure that they are still connected.

"Keith Jakobs, MCP" <elohir@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greetings:
>
> I have come across an interesting issue that I can not seem to find a
> specific reference to despite my substantial 'googling'......
>
> When I open Windows Explorer, and go directly to my 'My Documents' folder,
> which has been redirected to a network storage drive, the Status Bar
> continually repeats the phrase 'Searching for items...". If you pay
> attention closely enough, you can see the mouse icon flash briefly to an
> hourglass. The issue does not remain for long, but does happen about
> every
> second. It does not cause a noticeable CPU spike, and I have confirmed
> that
> the Indexing Service is not running. What it DOES cause is an incredibly
> annoying inability to select drives or folders from the drop-down list in
> many of my applications. When I click on the drop-down box to browse for
> file, the box will enumerate my documents and then quickly close, without
> giving me enough time to make drive selection.
>
> My 'googling' efforts seemed to only reveal information related to this
> issue when explorer takes a long time to intialize. In my case, my
> enumerations come up right away and suffers no delay. My problem is why
> is
> it running every second, and can anyone tell me where I can disable it
> (registry, control panel, or otherwise).
>
> Thanks in advance....
>
> Keith C. Jakobs, MCP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ok... Sound reasonable, except.....

Though we only have three other users using XP in this environment, I am the
only one that seems to have the problem (and I am the Network Engr/Admin).

And how do I disable it???

Thanks!

Keith C. Jakobs, MCP

"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> It's the redirect to the network drive. Windows will constantly search all
> mapped drive to make sure that they are still connected.

> "Keith Jakobs, MCP" <elohir@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I have come across an interesting issue that I can not seem to find a
> > specific reference to despite my substantial 'googling'......
> >
> > When I open Windows Explorer, and go directly to my 'My Documents'
folder,
> > which has been redirected to a network storage drive, the Status Bar
> > continually repeats the phrase 'Searching for items...". If you pay
> > attention closely enough, you can see the mouse icon flash briefly to an
> > hourglass. The issue does not remain for long, but does happen about
> > every
> > second. It does not cause a noticeable CPU spike, and I have confirmed
> > that
> > the Indexing Service is not running. What it DOES cause is an
incredibly
> > annoying inability to select drives or folders from the drop-down list
in
> > many of my applications. When I click on the drop-down box to browse
for
> > file, the box will enumerate my documents and then quickly close,
without
> > giving me enough time to make drive selection.
> >
> > My 'googling' efforts seemed to only reveal information related to this
> > issue when explorer takes a long time to intialize. In my case, my
> > enumerations come up right away and suffers no delay. My problem is why
> > is
> > it running every second, and can anyone tell me where I can disable it
> > (registry, control panel, or otherwise).
> >
> > Thanks in advance....
> >
> > Keith C. Jakobs, MCP

TRENDING THREADS