I'm considering buying a BSD. Is their any known problems ..

Anything in particular I should look for? Do certain things get
repaired more often than others?

Thanks in Advance
Chas

Many BSDs have bad wear in the upper shooter lane where the ball
lands. It's under a decaled ramp so you have to specifically look
under the ramp to see it. This area is hard to touch up because its
heavily dithered. Heck, the entire playfield on this game is dithered.

"m6onz5a" <corvair@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Anything in particular I should look for? Do certain things get
> repaired more often than others?
All the standard things for WPC games (namely, burnt GI connectors).

Additionally, the following things have all broken on my game

1) The plastic over the center standups
2) The plastic from the base of the left ramp to the mystery hole
3) The mounting bracket for the castle lock divertor
4) The mounting bracket for the drop target
5) The mist multiball feature never works for more than a few games at a
time.

Andy

The mist multiball is problematic at times. You have an opto that has to
read all the way across the playfield. That means alignment and cleanliness
are critical. I've also see the coffin plastic melted from a stuck lamp.
Mine has been pretty rock solid though. The problems I describe were on
some previous ones I've owned.

Mark Hooks

"m6onz5a" <corvair@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> Anything in particular I should look for? Do certain things get
> repaired more often than others?
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Chas

Look at the playfield in between the slings.
Seen many BSD's who have lots of hair-thin cracks (vertical) on the
playfield.

The gates which retains the ball for mist-ball must be adjusted pretty well
to let this feature (mist-ball) work properly. In adjusting be carefull,
those tiny gates tends to break easily.

And as said, the plastic over the center targets almost always broken (can
be produced easily from the scan of ballsofsteel)

The most important thing is to look for the hair-cracks, all other things
can be fixed or replaced
--
Jelle Nelemans - The Netherlands
________________________________

Thanks for the responses. I now feel more prepared to go look at a
machine next week. The guy is charging more than I want to pay, but
it's supposed to be in excellent shape and it's local to me.

Chas

As others have said, check the mist multiball.

I've had my bsd only show some problems after warming up for about 5
mins, give it a good play.

Dont worry too much about plastics, a great repro entire set runs for
about $70. The slings plastics can be bought as a pair for about $15
NOS, and the center bank repro individual is about $18.

Check the mini bumper posts at the top of the outlanes, these are
commonly very loose on bsd. (You can easily repair it with a dab of
wood filler and a toothpick, but it could be a good bargaining chip to
get the price of the pin down :)

About 1/2 of my star posts were cracked on mine when i bought it, again
another cosmetic bargaining chip.

The coffin ranp that goes up and down for the coffin lock is sometimes
cracked or out of alignment.

Check for wear around the rat hole, (lower right side of PF). If there
is wear, you can always install a cliffy protector and it looks great
:)

good luck :)

TRENDING THREADS