Dimension 3000 Lan Problem

ricardo

I have just purchased a Dell Dimension 3000 which has an onboard intel
10/100 ethernet connection. Problem I have is that when I logout of
windows (xp pro) and the computer shuts down the lan card still
communicates with the router, the only way to stop it is to turn the
power off at the wall. I have 2 other computers ( both Dell Dimension
8400) that don't have this problem. It seems that although the computer
is shutdown the power supply must be drawing power from the mains.

I rang Dell and they assured me that evrything was fine and to turn the
computer off at the wall when not in use. I find this bizzare.

Anyone else had the same thing ?

Regards
ricardo

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:52:09 +1000, ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:

>I have just purchased a Dell Dimension 3000 which has an onboard intel
>10/100 ethernet connection. Problem I have is that when I logout of
>windows (xp pro) and the computer shuts down the lan card still
>communicates with the router, the only way to stop it is to turn the
>power off at the wall. I have 2 other computers ( both Dell Dimension
>8400) that don't have this problem. It seems that although the computer
>is shutdown the power supply must be drawing power from the mains.
>
>I rang Dell and they assured me that evrything was fine and to turn the
>computer off at the wall when not in use. I find this bizzare.
>
>Anyone else had the same thing ?
Not a bug, but a feature! The computer is ready for Wake On Lan.

"Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:52:09 +1000, ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
>
>>I have just purchased a Dell Dimension 3000 which has an onboard intel
>>10/100 ethernet connection. Problem I have is that when I logout of
>>windows (xp pro) and the computer shuts down the lan card still
>>communicates with the router, the only way to stop it is to turn the
>>power off at the wall. I have 2 other computers ( both Dell Dimension
>>8400) that don't have this problem. It seems that although the computer
>>is shutdown the power supply must be drawing power from the mains.
>>
>>I rang Dell and they assured me that evrything was fine and to turn the
>>computer off at the wall when not in use. I find this bizzare.
>>
>>Anyone else had the same thing ?
> Not a bug, but a feature! The computer is ready for Wake On Lan.

Yep, that's what it is alright. Might be able to disable it in the BIOS, but
I suspect the little lights still stay on.

Tom

ricardo

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Henning" <newsmail@REMOVETHISmailme.dk> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:52:09 +1000, ricardo <me@myself.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I have just purchased a Dell Dimension 3000 which has an onboard intel
>>>10/100 ethernet connection. Problem I have is that when I logout of
>>>windows (xp pro) and the computer shuts down the lan card still
>>>communicates with the router, the only way to stop it is to turn the
>>>power off at the wall. I have 2 other computers ( both Dell Dimension
>>>8400) that don't have this problem. It seems that although the computer
>>>is shutdown the power supply must be drawing power from the mains.
>>>
>>>I rang Dell and they assured me that evrything was fine and to turn the
>>>computer off at the wall when not in use. I find this bizzare.
>>>
>>>Anyone else had the same thing ?
>>
>>Not a bug, but a feature! The computer is ready for Wake On Lan.
>

> Yep, that's what it is alright. Might be able to disable it in the BIOS, but
> I suspect the little lights still stay on.
>
> Tom

Thanks for your help. Greatly appreciated.
ricardo