Sign in with
Your question

Windows ISO to USB conversion tool doesn't make the USB bootable?

Tags:
  • ISO
  • USB
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 19, 2012 9:14:01 PM

So I tried to use the tool windows provided to make it so you can put a ISO copy of windows on a USB...and it didn't make it bootable. Ther'es no option to do that as well.

More about : windows iso usb conversion tool make usb bootable

a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 9:38:29 PM

you talking about Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool?
m
l
October 19, 2012 10:07:07 PM

Yeah, that one, sorry XD.
m
l
Related resources
October 19, 2012 11:06:35 PM

anybody have any advice >.<?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 11:12:07 PM

Are you running the tool on a 64bit version of windows? There is sinstructions there in the readme where to move the bootsect.exe file to in order for the os to be able to make it bootable.
m
l
October 19, 2012 11:23:27 PM

Oh! No, this computer has a 32 bit version of ultimate. I guess Is hould find a computer with a 64 bit version :p ?
m
l
October 19, 2012 11:32:48 PM

Check your other thread.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 19, 2012 11:34:03 PM

ive used it with both 32 bit and 64 bit. it DOES make the usb drive bootable. you just have to go into your bios and make the usb device the first boot device. then when the windows install resets the first time, make the hard drive you installed it to the first boot device.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 20, 2012 2:54:16 AM

neon neophyte said:
ive used it with both 32 bit and 64 bit. it DOES make the usb drive bootable. you just have to go into your bios and make the usb device the first boot device. then when the windows install resets the first time, make the hard drive you installed it to the first boot device.

Not changing the BOOT order in the BIOS (or UEFI) is a common problem.

I tried to boot a USB thumb drive and had several USB options (USB-DVD, USB-Floppy etc) and just chose "USB-HDD" and that worked.

The recommended boot order is this:

1. USB HDD
2. CD/DVD
3. Hard Drive

When your computer boots it checks these in order and will boot the first item it finds that is bootable. If your Hard Drive is the first item and you have an OS (Windows, Linux) it will always boot that and never look for a USB device.
m
l
!