Wireless Connectivity

I have a home network using a Microsoft Wireless Base
Station that connects to a DSL modem. The network
consists of two wired desktop computers, a wireless USB
adapter for Tivo, and a wireless laptop. The laptop,
which is used at work and is part of a domain, cannot
connect to the internet. I am using WEP security and
verified I have the correct password about five times. It
recognizes the SSID for my network and states that is is
connected but I still don't have an internet connection on
the laptop. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
9 answers Last reply
More about wireless connectivity

    To help you we will need to know at least the following.

    1) What Microsoft Wireless hardware you are using?

    2) The version of the firmware on your router.

    3) Which OS you are running on the laptop?

    4) If you are using Windows XP do you have the Broadband Network Utility
    installed?

    5) Is 802.1x authentication enabled, that is if you are running XP SP1?

    6) If you have tried changing the channel from the default of 6. (This
    can help if there is other 2.4 Ghz traffic in your area.)

    7) Can the Tivo connect to the router?

    That's all I can think of right now. After you answer these questions
    I'll be able to better answer your question.

    Kent wrote:

    > I have a home network using a Microsoft Wireless Base
    > Station that connects to a DSL modem. The network
    > consists of two wired desktop computers, a wireless USB
    > adapter for Tivo, and a wireless laptop. The laptop,
    > which is used at work and is part of a domain, cannot
    > connect to the internet. I am using WEP security and
    > verified I have the correct password about five times. It
    > recognizes the SSID for my network and states that is is
    > connected but I still don't have an internet connection on
    > the laptop. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

    Thanks Joker. I will have to get the answers to questions
    1 and 2 when I get home from work. The OS on the laptop
    is Windows 2000. The Tivo unit successfully connects to
    the router. I will try changing the channel on the router
    since there is a cordless phone nearby.

    I had this problem and had to remove my wireless
    connection from the network bridge on my laptop.

    The only problem with that is that it is happening on a Windows 2000
    computer. The network bridge was a new feature of Windows XP. It's
    possible that they would cause problems on a Windows XP computers but
    they wouldn't effect the Windows 2000 computer.

    > I had this problem and had to remove my wireless
    > connection from the network bridge on my laptop.

    Thanks for your help so far. The router I have is the MN-
    700. I was wasn't sure where to find the firmware
    version. The laptop is from Dell and has a built in
    wireless card. I guess it probably isn't a card since it
    is built in, but you know what I mean.

    To find the firmware version you sign into http://192.168.2.1 it should
    tell you from there what the firmware version is.

    Kent wrote:

    > Thanks for your help so far. The router I have is the MN-
    > 700. I was wasn't sure where to find the firmware
    > version. The laptop is from Dell and has a built in
    > wireless card. I guess it probably isn't a card since it
    > is built in, but you know what I mean.

    Ok, thanks. I'll go look for it.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Hey Joker,

    Thanks for all your help! I got it working. It turned
    out that the router would not accept the Alpha Numeric WEP
    password. It worked fine when I typed in the Hexdecimal
    version of the password. You would think that it would be
    more specific and tell you that the password is no good
    rather than just saying it's connected and not letting
    anything work. Oh well, it's working now. Thanks again.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Well the MN-500 & MN-700 when you enter a password in that is to long
    will ignore any extra numbers or letters you type in. That is why it
    said that it was ok in the router. Windows XP however also supports
    entering an ASCII key which the Microsoft routers do not support. You
    either have to convert the hexadecimal value in an ASCII value or just
    use a hexadecimal value. As to why Windows XP says that it is connected
    is a Windows XP issue and thus a Windows XP or general networking
    newsgroup my be a better place to discuss that issue, as it has nothing
    to do with the Microsoft networking hardware which this newsgroup supports.

Routers Wireless Networking