Wireless Connectivity

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

I have a home network using a Microsoft Wireless Base
Station that connects to a DSL modem. The network
consists of two wired desktop computers, a wireless USB
adapter for Tivo, and a wireless laptop. The laptop,
which is used at work and is part of a domain, cannot
connect to the internet. I am using WEP security and
verified I have the correct password about five times. It
recognizes the SSID for my network and states that is is
connected but I still don't have an internet connection on
the laptop. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

joker

To help you we will need to know at least the following.

1) What Microsoft Wireless hardware you are using?

2) The version of the firmware on your router.

3) Which OS you are running on the laptop?

4) If you are using Windows XP do you have the Broadband Network Utility
installed?

5) Is 802.1x authentication enabled, that is if you are running XP SP1?

6) If you have tried changing the channel from the default of 6. (This
can help if there is other 2.4 Ghz traffic in your area.)

7) Can the Tivo connect to the router?

That's all I can think of right now. After you answer these questions
I'll be able to better answer your question.

Kent wrote:

> I have a home network using a Microsoft Wireless Base
> Station that connects to a DSL modem. The network
> consists of two wired desktop computers, a wireless USB
> adapter for Tivo, and a wireless laptop. The laptop,
> which is used at work and is part of a domain, cannot
> connect to the internet. I am using WEP security and
> verified I have the correct password about five times. It
> recognizes the SSID for my network and states that is is
> connected but I still don't have an internet connection on
> the laptop. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

Thanks Joker. I will have to get the answers to questions
1 and 2 when I get home from work. The OS on the laptop
is Windows 2000. The Tivo unit successfully connects to
the router. I will try changing the channel on the router
since there is a cordless phone nearby.

I had this problem and had to remove my wireless
connection from the network bridge on my laptop.

joker

The only problem with that is that it is happening on a Windows 2000
computer. The network bridge was a new feature of Windows XP. It's
possible that they would cause problems on a Windows XP computers but
they wouldn't effect the Windows 2000 computer.

> I had this problem and had to remove my wireless
> connection from the network bridge on my laptop.

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

Thanks for your help so far. The router I have is the MN-
700. I was wasn't sure where to find the firmware
version. The laptop is from Dell and has a built in
wireless card. I guess it probably isn't a card since it
is built in, but you know what I mean.

joker

To find the firmware version you sign into http://192.168.2.1 it should
tell you from there what the firmware version is.

Kent wrote:

> Thanks for your help so far. The router I have is the MN-
> 700. I was wasn't sure where to find the firmware
> version. The laptop is from Dell and has a built in
> wireless card. I guess it probably isn't a card since it
> is built in, but you know what I mean.

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

Ok, thanks. I'll go look for it.

Kent

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001

Hey Joker,

Thanks for all your help! I got it working. It turned
out that the router would not accept the Alpha Numeric WEP
password. It worked fine when I typed in the Hexdecimal
version of the password. You would think that it would be
more specific and tell you that the password is no good
rather than just saying it's connected and not letting
anything work. Oh well, it's working now. Thanks again.

joker

Well the MN-500 & MN-700 when you enter a password in that is to long
will ignore any extra numbers or letters you type in. That is why it
said that it was ok in the router. Windows XP however also supports
entering an ASCII key which the Microsoft routers do not support. You
either have to convert the hexadecimal value in an ASCII value or just
use a hexadecimal value. As to why Windows XP says that it is connected
is a Windows XP issue and thus a Windows XP or general networking
newsgroup my be a better place to discuss that issue, as it has nothing
to do with the Microsoft networking hardware which this newsgroup supports.