Uninstalling NAV2000 from my DIM4100

Some of you may recall me asking anti-virus questions last month when I
discovered that Symantec would no longer support NAV2000 and I therefore
couldn't renew my subscription to virus definitions, so would have to come
up with another arrangement, since I was reluctant to get NAV 2005.

So, I have downloaded, to be on the safe side, Symantec's rnav2003.exe. I
will try to remove NAV2000 via add/remove programs (I have already
disabled my e-mail protection [poproxy] with no problems). Before I do
that it seems to me that I should open up NAV and turn off auto-protect.
Agreed? If the uninstall under add/remove programs doesn't remove
everything, will I get some kind of notification to that effect? Obviously
if I do I should then run rnav2003. OR...should I run rnav2003 *anyway*?

I saw on one web site, a person advising that before using rnav2003, one
should back up their registry? Sound like a good idea to y'all? (I have
printed up instructions to do so).

Having said all that, I have downloaded AVG, all set to run and install if
and when I manage to get rid of Norton.

I know I have asked a lot of question, but I am no techie and I want to
try to NOT screw things up if I can avoid it! Thanks folks!

Marilyn B.

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message

> Some of you may recall me asking anti-virus questions last month when I
> discovered that Symantec would no longer support NAV2000 and I therefore
> couldn't renew my subscription to virus definitions, so would have to come
> up with another arrangement, since I was reluctant to get NAV 2005.
>
> So, I have downloaded, to be on the safe side, Symantec's rnav2003.exe. I
> will try to remove NAV2000 via add/remove programs (I have already
> disabled my e-mail protection [poproxy] with no problems). Before I do
> that it seems to me that I should open up NAV and turn off auto-protect.
> Agreed? If the uninstall under add/remove programs doesn't remove
> everything, will I get some kind of notification to that effect? Obviously
> if I do I should then run rnav2003. OR...should I run rnav2003 *anyway*?
>
> I saw on one web site, a person advising that before using rnav2003, one
> should back up their registry? Sound like a good idea to y'all? (I have
> printed up instructions to do so).
>
> Having said all that, I have downloaded AVG, all set to run and install if
> and when I manage to get rid of Norton.
>
> I know I have asked a lot of question, but I am no techie and I want to
> try to NOT screw things up if I can avoid it! Thanks folks!
>
> Marilyn B.

Go to the Symantec knowledge base (find it at their web site) and print out
the article that provides detailed step by step instructions on how to
manually remove (any one) their programs. You have to go into the registry
to do this so be cautious and double check before deleting any of the keys.
BTW, you can still keep NAV current by downloading the issued definitions
from Semantic's web site.
MLD

On Mon, 16 May 2005, MLD wrote:

> Go to the Symantec knowledge base (find it at their web site) and print out
> the article that provides detailed step by step instructions on how to
> manually remove (any one) their programs. You have to go into the registry
> to do this so be cautious and double check before deleting any of the keys.
> BTW, you can still keep NAV current by downloading the issued definitions
> from Semantic's web site.

Already have printed up 3 or 4 of their knowledgebase articles incl. the
manual removal one so that's taken care of :).

Do you mean I can get the Intelligent Update definitions? I had assumed
since my Liveupdate subscription has expired, I would be barred from
getting the intelligent updater ones as well. Heck, if I can simply get
the definitions using intelligent updater, and since NAV2000 has always
worked well for me, why can't I just KEEP it and get the intelligent
update definitions for the foreseeable future???

MB

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Marilyn E. Burford wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2005, MLD wrote:
>
> > Go to the Symantec knowledge base (find it at their web site) and print out
> > the article that provides detailed step by step instructions on how to
> > manually remove (any one) their programs. You have to go into the registry
> > to do this so be cautious and double check before deleting any of the keys.
> > BTW, you can still keep NAV current by downloading the issued definitions
> > from Semantic's web site.
>
> Already have printed up 3 or 4 of their knowledgebase articles incl. the
> manual removal one so that's taken care of :).
>
> Do you mean I can get the Intelligent Update definitions? I had assumed
> since my Liveupdate subscription has expired, I would be barred from
> getting the intelligent updater ones as well. Heck, if I can simply get
> the definitions using intelligent updater, and since NAV2000 has always
> worked well for me, why can't I just KEEP it and get the intelligent
> update definitions for the foreseeable future???

Just answered my own question. Found a doc at Symantec that states you now
have to have a valid subscription to get defs via Intelligent
updater...dang.

MB

> On Tue, 17 May 2005, Marilyn E. Burford wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 May 2005, MLD wrote:
> >
> > > Go to the Symantec knowledge base (find it at their web site) and
print out
> > > the article that provides detailed step by step instructions on how to
> > > manually remove (any one) their programs. You have to go into the
registry
> > > to do this so be cautious and double check before deleting any of the
keys.
> > > BTW, you can still keep NAV current by downloading the issued
definitions
> > > from Semantic's web site.
> >
> > Already have printed up 3 or 4 of their knowledgebase articles incl. the
> > manual removal one so that's taken care of :).
> >
> > Do you mean I can get the Intelligent Update definitions? I had assumed
> > since my Liveupdate subscription has expired, I would be barred from
> > getting the intelligent updater ones as well. Heck, if I can simply get
> > the definitions using intelligent updater, and since NAV2000 has always
> > worked well for me, why can't I just KEEP it and get the intelligent
> > update definitions for the foreseeable future???
>
> Just answered my own question. Found a doc at Symantec that states you now
> have to have a valid subscription to get defs via Intelligent
> updater...dang.
>
> MB

One thing that you can do--uninstall NAV--reinstall NAV. Download and
install the latest LiveUpdate file. Don't be surprised if you now have a new
definition subscription good for one year. This is a temporary solution of
course--------
MLD

UPDATE:

OK...I have run the uninstaller via add/remove programs, and of course was
informed it couldn't remove it all. So I have run rnav2003.exe. After
that, I uninstalled LiveUpdate, and another Live"something" - LiveReg I
think. The machine has been restarted 3 or 4 times with no hiccups.

Questions: Using "Search for files and folders" I still have Symantec
folders and 'stuff' on my hard drive. Can I now just send them to the
recycle bin?. Would y'all suggest I wait a couple of days before
installing AVG to make sure things are going to stay stable. I *reeeally*
don't want to mess with my registry if I can help it.

BTW, I am not online using my ppp access (I have dialup) but via my
text-only access using HyperTerminal and will continue to access this way
until I have valid virus protection again. I should be safe anyway
getting e-mail if that's all I want to do, as my internet provider has a
good virus scanner that checks e-mail at its end before it lands in each
subscriber's mail box. But I assume Iw ould be a complete idiot to surf
the web via any graphical access until I have virus protection again.

So, comments??? Thanks. My heart's just been apounding, I was so nervous
about doing this. :)

> UPDATE:
>
> OK...I have run the uninstaller via add/remove programs, and of course was
> informed it couldn't remove it all. So I have run rnav2003.exe. After
> that, I uninstalled LiveUpdate, and another Live"something" - LiveReg I
> think. The machine has been restarted 3 or 4 times with no hiccups.
>
> Questions: Using "Search for files and folders" I still have Symantec
> folders and 'stuff' on my hard drive. Can I now just send them to the
> recycle bin?. Would y'all suggest I wait a couple of days before
> installing AVG to make sure things are going to stay stable. I *reeeally*
> don't want to mess with my registry if I can help it.
>
> BTW, I am not online using my ppp access (I have dialup) but via my
> text-only access using HyperTerminal and will continue to access this way
> until I have valid virus protection again. I should be safe anyway
> getting e-mail if that's all I want to do, as my internet provider has a
> good virus scanner that checks e-mail at its end before it lands in each
> subscriber's mail box. But I assume Iw ould be a complete idiot to surf
> the web via any graphical access until I have virus protection again.
>
> So, comments??? Thanks. My heart's just been apounding, I was so nervous
> about doing this. :)
> Marilyn B.

Sure. Go into your 'programs file' folder and delete the Symantec folder
(remember, you could always restore it from the recycle bin if you chose to
do so if the bin isn't emptied).

You could then use 'regedit' or a reg cleaner to eliminate any Symantec
entries in the registry if you want. Set a 'system restore point' before
you start if that makes you feel better :)

Stew

On Wed, 18 May 2005, S.Lewis wrote:

> Sure. Go into your 'programs file' folder and delete the Symantec folder
> (remember, you could always restore it from the recycle bin if you chose to
> do so if the bin isn't emptied).
>
> You could then use 'regedit' or a reg cleaner to eliminate any Symantec
> entries in the registry if you want. Set a 'system restore point' before
> you start if that makes you feel better :)

My system restore gave up the ghost long ago. It had been fixed with that
patch a cpl years ago, but within a month stopped working again, and
nothing I tried GOT it working again, so that option is out.

Do you think I really NEED to edit the registry? I have the instructions
and all, but as I've said, am not experienced at this sort of thing and
just hate the notion of messing with it if I can avoid it (and yes, I
would make a back up first if I DID decide to). Can any leftover symantec
entries cause problems when I install AVG?? (groan at the thought) Thanks.

On that topic however, can u recommend maybe a good dependable registry
cleaner program I can use if necessary?

MB

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Marilyn E. Burford wrote:

> On Wed, 18 May 2005, S.Lewis wrote:
>
> > Sure. Go into your 'programs file' folder and delete the Symantec folder
> > (remember, you could always restore it from the recycle bin if you chose to
> > do so if the bin isn't emptied).
> >
> > You could then use 'regedit' or a reg cleaner to eliminate any Symantec
> > entries in the registry if you want. Set a 'system restore point' before
> > you start if that makes you feel better :)
>
> My system restore gave up the ghost long ago. It had been fixed with that
> patch a cpl years ago, but within a month stopped working again, and
> nothing I tried GOT it working again, so that option is out.
>
> Do you think I really NEED to edit the registry? I have the instructions
> and all, but as I've said, am not experienced at this sort of thing and
> just hate the notion of messing with it if I can avoid it (and yes, I
> would make a back up first if I DID decide to). Can any leftover symantec
> entries cause problems when I install AVG?? (groan at the thought) Thanks.
>
> On that topic however, can u recommend maybe a good dependable registry
> cleaner program I can use if necessary?

I see I can't use regclean. Apparently it is non-compatible with Windows
ME.
MB