IE6 Javascript Problems

August 10, 2005 5:45:09 PM

I am having problems in IE6 with with sites that run some Java Script.

I do not have the problems with Firefox.

Thanks for your help,
Michael
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:12:26 PM

"Michael Henderson" <michaelh@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I am having problems in IE6 with with sites that run some Java Script.
>
>I do not have the problems with Firefox.

That's not very specific. What problems are you having?

JavaScript can be enabled or disabled in IE in Tools|InternetOptions,
on the Security tab, I think. (My employer has us locked out of that.)

It's entirely possible that the web site creator has written a page
containing script that works on Firefox but not on IE.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java and it still does not work.

Java VM setting in Internet | OPtions is set to "High Security".

The major problem that I have is JavaScript that opens up a new window.
This is even with "Allow Popups" enabled.

Thanks.

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
> "Michael Henderson" <michaelh@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>I am having problems in IE6 with with sites that run some Java Script.
>>
>>I do not have the problems with Firefox.
>
> That's not very specific. What problems are you having?
>
> JavaScript can be enabled or disabled in IE in Tools|InternetOptions,
> on the Security tab, I think. (My employer has us locked out of that.)
>
> It's entirely possible that the web site creator has written a page
> containing script that works on Firefox but not on IE.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> MS MVP(DTS)
> Slattery_T@bls.gov
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:00:23 PM

"Michael Henderson" <michaelh@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java and it still does not work.
>
>Java VM setting in Internet | OPtions is set to "High Security".
>
>The major problem that I have is JavaScript that opens up a new window.
>This is even with "Allow Popups" enabled.

Now I'm not sure whether you're talking about Java or JavaScript. They
are two entirely different things. And the pop-up blocker in SP2 is
something different yet.

The pop-up blocker will prevent Javascript from opening an unrequested
IE window. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for new windows opened by
Flash or Shockwave.

Javascript is a scripting language that tells the browser to do
various things in various circumstances (show or hide text, edit stuff
typed into a form, etc). Java is a full-scale programming language
that can be used to write many different kinds of programs. In the
browser context, it's used to write small programs (applets) that run
in a browser windows. Crossword puzzles, animations, games, all kinds
of things.

Installing a Java Virtual Machine and telling the browser to run Java
applets has nothing to do with Javascript. There's a separate setting
for that somewhere in the Security tab.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)