USB 2.0/Firewire and Dimension 4300 Question

I have a 3 year old Dimension 4300 with the original factory fitted USB 1.1
card fitted.

This card provides 2 rear panel sockets and 2 front panel sockets..

To bring my PC up-to-date I am thinking of fitting a combined USB 2.0 &
Firewire card which in addition to front & rear Firewire sockets will offer
2 rear panel and 2 front panel USB 2.0 sockets.

Does anyone know if I can leave the original USB 1.1 card in place without
problems when I fit the new card and will I then be able to operate with 4 x
USB 1.1 sockets and 4 x USB 2.0 sockets ?

Many thanks for any info,

Speug, 14 May 05

Speug wrote:
> I have a 3 year old Dimension 4300 with the original factory fitted
> USB 1.1 card fitted.
>
> This card provides 2 rear panel sockets and 2 front panel sockets..
>
> To bring my PC up-to-date I am thinking of fitting a combined USB
2.0
> & Firewire card which in addition to front & rear Firewire sockets
> will offer 2 rear panel and 2 front panel USB 2.0 sockets.
>
> Does anyone know if I can leave the original USB 1.1 card in place
> without problems when I fit the new card and will I then be able to
> operate with 4 x USB 1.1 sockets and 4 x USB 2.0 sockets ?
>
> Many thanks for any info,
>
> Speug, 14 May 05

I had a similar situation : Dimension 8400 with USB 1.1.
I added an USB 2.1card and a separate firewirecard and they both work
fine.

"wederik" <wederik@NOSPAMchello.nl> wrote in message
> Speug wrote:
>> I have a 3 year old Dimension 4300 with the original factory fitted
>> USB 1.1 card fitted.
>>
>> This card provides 2 rear panel sockets and 2 front panel sockets..
>>
>> To bring my PC up-to-date I am thinking of fitting a combined USB
> 2.0
>> & Firewire card which in addition to front & rear Firewire sockets
>> will offer 2 rear panel and 2 front panel USB 2.0 sockets.
>>
>> Does anyone know if I can leave the original USB 1.1 card in place
>> without problems when I fit the new card and will I then be able to
>> operate with 4 x USB 1.1 sockets and 4 x USB 2.0 sockets ?
>>
>> Many thanks for any info,
>>
>> Speug, 14 May 05
>
> I had a similar situation : Dimension 8400 with USB 1.1.
> I added an USB 2.1card and a separate firewirecard and they both work
> fine.

Are you sure you mean Dimension 8400? The 8400 comes with USB2 for all the
USB ports. You didn't need to add a card.

Tom

Speug wrote:

> I have a 3 year old Dimension 4300 with the original factory fitted USB 1.1
> card fitted.

You certain you have a USB card? AFAIK USB support for Dells is
integrated on the motherboard, i.e., no separate card.

Tom Scales wrote:
> "wederik" <wederik@NOSPAMchello.nl> wrote in message
>> Speug wrote:
>>> I have a 3 year old Dimension 4300 with the original factory
fitted
>>> USB 1.1 card fitted.
>>>
>>> This card provides 2 rear panel sockets and 2 front panel
sockets..

>>> To bring my PC up-to-date I am thinking of fitting a combined USB
>> 2.0
>>> & Firewire card which in addition to front & rear Firewire sockets
>>> will offer 2 rear panel and 2 front panel USB 2.0 sockets.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if I can leave the original USB 1.1 card in place
>>> without problems when I fit the new card and will I then be able
>>> operate with 4 x USB 1.1 sockets and 4 x USB 2.0 sockets ?
>>>
>>> Many thanks for any info,
>>>
>>> Speug, 14 May 05
>>
>> I had a similar situation : Dimension 8400 with USB 1.1.
>> I added an USB 2.1card and a separate firewirecard and they both
work
>> fine.
>>

> Are you sure you mean Dimension 8400? The 8400 comes with USB2 for
> all the USB ports. You didn't need to add a card.
>
> Tom

No, sorry ! (the wish was father to the thought ...) : it is a
Dimension 8100 !

"Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@universalexports.org> wrote in message
> Speug wrote:
>
>> I have a 3 year old Dimension 4300 with the original factory fitted USB
>> 1.1 card fitted.
>
> You certain you have a USB card? AFAIK USB support for Dells is integrated
> on the motherboard, i.e., no separate card.

Hi Folks,

Sparky was correct - there is no separate USB 1.1 card and the USB 1.1 ports
are part of the mother board.

I went ahead and got a USB 2.0/Firewire combo card and installed it in the 1
vacant slot - and now have 4 x USB ports on rear panel and 4 x USB ports
on the front panel working.

I still need to check out the Firewire ports by getting a cable for my Sony
mini-DV camcorder.

Many thanks for all the feedback.

Speug, 18 May 05