Tbred B question

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
As i understand it, Tbred "B" procesors run the coolest correct? Alright, my friend isnt planning on overclocking it, but I suppose he should get a Tbred "B" nevertheless. Id rather that handling (friend's handling that is) is kept to a minimum, so in order to gurantee that he get's a "B" processor, he should get one of these right?:
2400+
2600+ 133MHz FSB
2600+ 166MHz FSB
2700+ 166MHz FSB

Question is, which of these gives the best performance based on their price? Or should my friend get the Athlon 2500+ (Barton core) instead?

abdurrehman

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2003
Now that depends upon what's your requirement are, and how much you have in your pocket to spend ,
SO....
if u want have a nice System go for 2200+ thats a T-Bred B too. OR if u'll like a longterm planning (i think just a bit more)then for the barton. Barton will also have some advantages like 166/333 FSB.
So its upon u

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you're wanting a T-Bred B for <i>low temps</i> then I suggest that you go with something slow. The high-end T-Bred Bs can run quite warm.

If you're wanting a T-Bred B just because, then any speed will do.

And you can also do a search for 'thoroughbred b' and/or for specific batch codes when looking to buy the CPU if you really need to make sure that it's a T-Bred B. (I'm sure that if a simple search doesn't provide the batch codes, someone else will be nice enough to.)

<font color=blue><pre>If you don't give me accurate and complete system specs
then I can't give you an accurate and complete answer.</pre><p></font color=blue>

hineigger

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2003
The Tbred B's are hot, so a slower speed is cooler. But like you said, if hes not overclocking then it wont get too hot. Im on a Tbred Bcore 2400+ and Im overclocked quite a bit at 200/400 FSB, and Im running 49C idle.

If your friend does on O/Cing, then he can run 44-45C idle with the basic fan provided.

Newegg.com has 2400+ for $137 shipped. Does not come with heatsink/fan but you only need a basic one if there is no overclocking. I suggest this because upgrading to something lesser than whats available, like a 2200 rather than a 2400, is just going to leave the person wanting more. The 2400 is best available Athlon for its price.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
abdurrehman:
Yes he also thought of getting a 2200+ too, but since there is an "A" 2200+, well it's a little harder to detect without handling it personally. And yes, my friend didnt want his purchase to be outdated too quickly, so the Barton 2500+ was exactly what i thought he should get. Thanks :).

slvr_phoenix:
My friend isn't looking into purchasing anything high-end, just somethnig that delivers above average performance. I also did a search, but the recent "<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=130724#130724" target="_new">Supercomputer</A>" thread contained pretty much everything i needed, so it wasnt necessary :). However as i said before, id rather that my friend not have to personally look at the processor for any code, thats in order to minimize confusion & such (we live thousands of miles away from each other). Although he is getting much much better at this sort of thing, i dont think he's that tech savy just yet :D. Thanks though.

hineigger:
Thats exactly what i wanted to hear, thanks a bunch :D. So right now it's either the TBred "B" 2400+ or the Barton 2500+.

Another question, the Tbred "B" 2400+ runs at 2GHz, & the Barton 2500+ runs at 1.83GHz (beating the former as a result). So does that mean that the 2500+ can be cooled more effeciently & run cooler than the 2400+ because of it's slightly larger die size & slower clock speed?

Thanks again.

Makaveli

Splendid
Running An T-Bred 2700+ at 35c idle
@ 2.33Ghz 43c full load. 1.65vcore

Case cooling and room temperature will make most of the difference in temps.

RIG
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=16172</A>

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
why do people always post their idle temps??? idle temps mean nothing! th important one is your temp at full load... im currently running a xp2400+ @ 2.166MHz (xp2700+ speed) and my temps are 36c at full load. also tbred 'B' run cooler than 'A' and palamino core xp's. my 2400 is running cooler than my old palamino xp1800 did.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Yes, thats the main reason why i want him to get T-bred "B"s. Anyways, i guess it's up to him to decide. I'd still like an answer as to whether the Barton actually dissipates less heat than T-bred "B"'s though, i only gave him the longevity issue to decide upon at this point.

Thanks.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
i would guess that th barton core xp will run at approxomately the same temp as an equivalent clocked (not PR) tbred 'B'

eden

Champion
Just to generalize it: Tbred Bs can be compared to Duron 800MHZ temps, they are relatively cool. They rival Pentium 4 temperatures, and you do not even need more than 3000rpm 80mm coolers to get them temps. Volcano 7+ is the best type of HSF you can use for silent and efficient cooling to get these lovely temps.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
speaking of good coolers does anyone else here have a zalman cnps 6000Cu cooler. VERY quiet (20db in silent mode 32db at full rpm) and very good temps.. my oc xp2400 is at 36c full load. im well impressed with this hsf

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Whoops, almost forgot to post my <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030217/images/cpu_chart.gif" target="_new">findings</A>... it seems that both the TBred "B", as well the Barton core dissipates roughly the same amount of power. So both should have similar temperatures as a result. Well shucks.

I guess the only advantage is that the Barton core has a slightly larger surface area, good for efficient cooling.

Thanks guys.