Upgrade XP Home to XP Pro

Is there a way to upgrade XP Home Edition to XP Pro Edition or do I have to
do a new install?

Thanks for your help.

Later.

James
8 answers Last reply
More about upgrade home

    You can normally upgrade XP Home with the standard XP Pro upgrade retail
    kit. However, please note that after the upgrade, both the Home and Pro
    licences are tied together.

    "Jameseee" <james@eee.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way to upgrade XP Home Edition to XP Pro Edition or do I have
    > do a new install?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Later.
    >
    > James

    James

    You can upgrade from Home to Pro easily enough.. there are considerations
    though..

    If you try to upgrade XP Home that has either been raised to SP2 by way of
    the SP2 update or it was supplied as XP Home SP2, then you will have to use
    a version of XP Pro that is either at SP2 level or an earlier version with
    SP2 slipstreamed..

    Expanding on that, if you installed SP2 on top of XP Home, as long as you
    kept the installation files for SP2, it can be uninstalled and then the
    upgrade can continue..

    If XP Home is the version that already had SP2 in it, you will have to
    slipstream your XP Pro.. for details on how to do this, go to

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    Please note that unless you require the security features or domain
    connection capability, there may be little point in doing the upgrade.. to
    all intents and purposes, for the home user, XP Home and Pro are the same..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    In news:e$TbjmdnFHA.2860@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Jameseee <james@eee.com> typed:

    > Is there a way to upgrade XP Home Edition to XP Pro Edition or
    > do I
    > have to do a new install?

    Yes, you can upgrade XP Home to Professional. There is no special
    upgrade version just for this, but the regular XP Professional
    Upgrade works fine (although it doesn't say so on the box).

    But are you sure you want to do this? Are you aware that XP Home
    and Professional are identical except that Professional includes
    a few features (mostly related to security and networking)
    missing from Home? Most home users don't need and would never use
    these extra features and will see no benefits by upgrading.

    For details go to

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
    connections, and Home only five.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > You can normally upgrade XP Home with the standard XP Pro upgrade retail
    > kit. However, please note that after the upgrade, both the Home and Pro
    > licences are tied together.

    What does this mean ... "tied together".

    I am guessing that it means that if I don't like Pro and want to go back to
    Home, then I would have to somehow transfer the license or that I could not
    transfer it because in effect I would only have one license even though I
    bought two copies of Windows.

    In news:eSE7VmenFHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    BigK <bigk@bellsouth.com> typed:

    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    >> You can normally upgrade XP Home with the standard XP Pro
    >> upgrade
    >> retail kit. However, please note that after the upgrade, both
    >> the
    >> Home and Pro licences are tied together.
    >
    > What does this mean ... "tied together".

    It means that the Home license is not freed up and available to
    be installed on another computer. You end up with one license,
    not two.

    An Upgrade license is not a standalone license like a Full
    version license, and that's why it's cheaper. If you bought a
    Full version (with which you can also do an upgrade) you would
    have two licenses and can have two installations on two computers
    (or sell or give away the Home license).

    Also note as an aside, that an OEM version can not do upgrades at
    all and has to be clean installed. I mention this because many
    people confuse OEM versions with Full versions.

    > I am guessing that it means that if I don't like Pro and want
    > to go
    > back to Home, then I would have to somehow transfer the license
    > or
    > that I could not transfer it because in effect I would only
    > have one
    > license even though I bought two copies of Windows.

    Note a couple of things:

    1. If you like XP Home, there's nothing about XP Professional to
    not like. They are the same except that there are additional
    features in Home. If you don't use those features, they are
    essentially identical and can't be told apart.

    2. If by "want to go back to Home," you mean to uninstall the
    upgrade and revert back to the previous installation of Home, be
    aware that you will *not* be able to this. Downgrades aren't
    supported and the only way to back to Home is by clean installing
    it.

    "BigK" <bigk@bellsouth.com> wrote:

    >"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    >> You can normally upgrade XP Home with the standard XP Pro upgrade retail
    >> kit. However, please note that after the upgrade, both the Home and Pro
    >> licences are tied together.
    >
    >What does this mean ... "tied together".
    >
    >I am guessing that it means that if I don't like Pro and want to go back to
    >Home, then I would have to somehow transfer the license or that I could not
    >transfer it because in effect I would only have one license even though I
    >bought two copies of Windows.

    When you upgrade software to a newer or more sophisticated version by
    using an upgrade package then your license to use the upgraded
    software is dependent on your also retaining the license for the
    version you upgraded from.

    What you cannot do is to reuse the old software version on another
    computer. You can uninstall the upgrade and revert back to the old
    version if you want.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thanks. It is a corporate computer. We have just installed a Windows 2K3
    Server and I found this one computer using XP Home. I have the upgrade, but
    thought I would ask the question before trying to install it. Sounds like I
    had nothing to worry about, but always better to know that in advance.

    Thanks to all for the quick responses.

    Later.

    James

    > What you cannot do is to reuse the old software version on another
    > computer. You can uninstall the upgrade and revert back to the old
    > version if you want.

    Sorry was not thinking of the fact that upgrade is cheaper than full. Duh!

    Thanks for the kind explanations. I know I sounded a bit like an anti-MS
    troll.

Microsoft Windows XP