Sorry if this question is a bit long winded but any help would be
appreciated.

When starting XP Pro I get the message ' A Disk read error has occured press
Ctrl - Alt + Del to restart computer' which indicates to me a disk error.
The problem is if I install the same disk as a slave and boot from another
then I can read all of the disk perfectly so I am confused. Any thoughts?

Mike

Try running some scans on the disk to check integrity. From run, "chkdisk"
(to fix errors as well use a /F flag and then reboot it will check the disk
and fix errors on it.) Other disk utilities are available, i recommend many
of the utilities from www.sysinternals.com

When you say you can read all of the disk fine (as a slave) how are reading
it? It is very likely that an error could occur on a remote file which is
used only used when windows is starting, so your personal data could be fine,
and just a problem with the OS.

I would definately recommend backing up all data (copying it to a different
drive while you can access it as a slave) before exercising the drive too
much, as errors can spread quickly once a drive starts to fail. If it is
under waranty still, you can probably call the manufacturer and they will
send you a new or refurbished drive if you send them yours back.

Hope this helps,
Jason Ryon