Sign in with
Your question

Most Stable/Compatible Combo of P4 PC Components?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
  • Compatibility
  • Components
Last response: in CPUs
March 20, 2003 11:29:21 PM

Hello folks.

I'm not sure if the following question has a simple answer, so I will try to articulate it as best as I can...

Regarding only Pentium 4 PC systems:

What combinations of the below Pentium 4 PC components have shown to have...

...the absolute best STABILITY?

...the absolute best COMPATIBILITY with software/hardware?

Have any of these combinations also shown to have the absolute best PERFORMANCE? Which ones?

(Please be as general or as specific as needed.)

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!
DuckTape

Note: Below are all the different types and aspects of Pentium 4 CPU's, motherboard chipsets, motherboards, and RAM that I could presently think of.

PENTIUM 4 CPU COMPONENTS:

Pentium 4 CPU
- Core
- MHz bus
- GHz

Motherboard Chipset
- Brand
- Model

Motherboard
- Brand
- Model
- "Single" DDR / Dual DDR
- "Single" RD / Dual RD

RAM
- RD / DDR
- Brand
- MB
- MHz
- RIMM for RD (?)
- Hyperthreaded / Non-Hyperthreaded
- Registered / Unregistered
- Buffered / Unbuffered
- ECC / Non-ECC
- CAS (Latency)
- Number of Sticks

More about : stable compatible combo components

March 20, 2003 11:43:47 PM

Hello again.

You know, now that I think about it, I would like to broaden my question more to include all of the following general types of PC systems...

Pentium 4
Athlon XP
Dual Athlon MP
Dual Xeon

Thanks again!
DuckTape
March 21, 2003 12:24:56 AM

You know, there really is no such thing as an "absolute winner" in this field... It´s not so easy, because it depends on your particular needs. I´d say the best overall choice would be (and that includes AMD Athlon XPs, Dual MPs, Dual Xeons) the following:

Intel Pentium 4 3.06Ghz, 533Mhz FSB with Hyperthreading technology
Asus P4T533-C i850E-based motherboard
2x256MB Dual-Channel RDRAM PC-1066

That´s what I would qualify as the current top model, overall, in terms of performance, stability and compatibility. Some might choose a Granite Bay configuration over RDRAM, or even SiS655, but the i850E is still the best performer. A Granite Bay/SiS655 would cost you less and would be the second choice. The Intel chipsets <i>should</i> offer you all stability you´ll ever need, and there are no compatibility issues that should concern you. Not with the Intel chipsets, they´re well designed. That might not be the case with SiS655, though... So I´d recommend the 3Ghz P4 and an Intel chipset, either 7205 (GB) or i850E.
!