unknown cpu type

RSTYLES

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
I bought an Athlon 2100+ from newegg, and it turned out to be a T'bred B, but the cpu name string is "Unknown cpu type".

Does anybody know aything about this. Why? This string is displayed by several utilitys, including AMD's cpuid, and Wcpu.

Also, it defaults to a multiplier of 20, but will (thankfully) accept 15 as well. It seems to run well at (actual) 1800 (120FSB) and 2000 (133FSB).

I thought that the 2100+ had a multiplier of 13.

What gives. I have no plans to take the cooler off to look at the OPN, as I am not very good at putting those things on.

Does the bios (ak31v3, current (ak31sei) version) have anything to do with the flawed multiplier?

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
you have to tell us what mobo you are using coz this may be your mobo or bios can't support your new cpu.

My PC has gone to hell... because it's a killing machine...

RSTYLES

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
I thought that I did. An AK31v3, with the current (I) revision.
I suspect that it might not support the 2100+, but it does run, albiet with an excessively high multiplier.
As I said, WCPU says "unknown cpu type", it runs with a multiplier of 15 and 20 (FSB at 100 for 20), voltage 1.60, and seems okay. The only trouble I had was a BSOD on cold start once, with multiplier at 15 and 133 bus (2000 actual).

Since I am not overly interested in OC, I am currently running at 120FSB (1800 actual, default core voltage).

I also have an icebox cooler, for the noise reduction. Works good, so long as you never move the darn thing. Once you get the airflow worked out, handles this heat load okay.

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
What he is talking about is what motherboard, not bios, do you have.

I have a KT7E, which has the same bios as a KT7A. The KT7A supports the XP processors, while my KT7E doesn't. However, I am running an XP1800+ (overclocked to 1700 MHz for now) and I recieve the "Unknown CPU Type" also. This is normal for a MOTHERBOARD that does not officially support a CPU.

So the question remains, what MOTHERBOARD do you have? We know what bios you have, but that doesn't help us much.

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.

RSTYLES

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
It is an AK31 (SPACEWALKER). I think that there was another company invovled, but they did not see fit to put their name on the box. Tom's hardware is on the box though.

It has the latest bios for that board, AK31S2EI.

I suppose that I have two questions.

1. Is the string "Unknown cpu type" actually burned into the chip, or does this string come from the bios? As I said, I used several utilities, including wcpu.

2. I thought that the multipliers were burned (locked) into the chip. Why does this one use 15 & 20. 13 will NOT work. I have not tried to go much lower, since 15 worked.
I did not record the markings on the chip, but it did say 2100+.

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like a board from a company from Shuttle (is the word Dragon anywhere in the manual or box??) it should support the chip as it is a KT266...
unknown CPU type means that the BIOS cannot uniquely ID your 2100, this will need a newer BIOS...

Hmmm, wonder if I can get a valid page fault ???
these invalid ones are far too commonplace...

RSTYLES

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2003
Right. Shuttle it is. Wonder why they don't have their name on the box.

I guess that I can believe that "name string" comes from bios instead of the chip, but I am still confused about the multiplier. I thought that it was burned into the chip.