Can I upgrade my DIM4100 to this spec?

Hi, I'm at a crossroad. My cdrw/dvd drive has failed and I don't quite
know where to go from here. I want to start doing some video editing.
>From what I've read my DIM4100 has a max RAM capacity of 512MB which
may be OK at a pinch. I do want to upgrade from a P3 to a P4 processor
and from WinME to WinXP though. Are these realistic options for this
machine?
TIA
Lila Duncan

Thanks for the advice, that leaves things in a delicate balance.
Lila

"LilaDuncan" <LilaDuncan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm at a crossroad. My cdrw/dvd drive has failed and I don't quite
> know where to go from here. I want to start doing some video editing.
>>From what I've read my DIM4100 has a max RAM capacity of 512MB which
> may be OK at a pinch. I do want to upgrade from a P3 to a P4 processor
> and from WinME to WinXP though. Are these realistic options for this
> machine?
> TIA
> Lila Duncan

The machine will upgrade to WinXP fine, but it cannot run a P4 processor.

Sorry.

Stew

Thanks, the current spec is 128MB RAM, 20GB HD. From what I've read, a
new P4 motherboard for this computer would require a new case and power
supply. With an already broken CD/DVD drive this wouldn't turn out to
be much less than a new computer.:)
Regards,
Lila

LilaDuncan wrote:

> Hi, I'm at a crossroad. My cdrw/dvd drive has failed and I don't quite
> know where to go from here. I want to start doing some video editing.
>>From what I've read my DIM4100 has a max RAM capacity of 512MB which
> may be OK at a pinch. I do want to upgrade from a P3 to a P4 processor
> and from WinME to WinXP though. Are these realistic options for this
> machine?
> TIA
> Lila Duncan

What are the specs of your current system? Video editing is fairly
intensive, and 512MB is a rather low for such a job. If you ever need
to transcode any video (which you likely will), the pace will be very
slow on a P3 (and you'd need a new mobo to use a P4). Also how much HDD
space do you have? DVD compliant MPEG2 video is large, and uncompressed
video is enormous. Assuming your machine is something like a P3, 256MB,
under 100GB HDD, with Windows ME and no CD-ROM, I'd definitely recommend
holding off until you can pick up a new machine (the cost of upgrading
to something capable is fairly close to the cost of a new machine).
With that said, your machine is more than adequate for most intents and
purposes and will run XP well (video editing is a bit too much).

> Thanks, the current spec is 128MB RAM, 20GB HD. From what I've read, a
> new P4 motherboard for this computer would require a new case and power
> supply. With an already broken CD/DVD drive this wouldn't turn out to
> be much less than a new computer.:)
> Regards,
> Lila

Depending on your budget used P4s (Dimension 4400/4500/4550/8300) can be
had on ebay for between $250 and $400 with lots of upgrade headroom. Or,
the newer systems can be had reasonably if you watch prices.

Stew