Test lab using laptops?

Can a laptop and a desktop be used as a test lab for
Exchange and Windows server training?

If yes.... can just two PCs work or must one have three
PCs and use one as a server?
12 answers Last reply
More about test laptops

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    > Can a laptop and a desktop be used as a test lab for
    > Exchange and Windows server training?
    >
    > If yes.... can just two PCs work or must one have three
    > PCs and use one as a server?
    I've seen people run the server os and apps such as SQL and Exchange on
    laptops before. Something like vmware would allow you to have more than
    one OS/server on each laptop.

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:26:50 GMT, Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >me6@privacy.net wrote:
    >
    >> Can a laptop and a desktop be used as a test lab for
    >> Exchange and Windows server training?
    >>
    >> If yes.... can just two PCs work or must one have three
    >> PCs and use one as a server?
    >I've seen people run the server os and apps such as SQL and Exchange on
    >laptops before. Something like vmware would allow you to have more than
    >one OS/server on each laptop.

    I have windows 2000 PRO running on cpxj 650 with 256Mb running Oracle
    Server, Oracle AIS server, Oracle Forms Server and an, Apache web
    server, and the Oracle webforms client running the application. Used
    for training and Demo's.

    Mike

    >I have windows 2000 PRO running on cpxj 650 with 256Mb running Oracle
    >Server, Oracle AIS server, Oracle Forms Server and an, Apache web
    >server, and the Oracle webforms client running the application. Used
    >for training and Demo's.

    OK.... good news. Thanks!

    Im wanting to teach myself such things above.... administering Windows
    server, Exchange server.... but wanted to use laptops as the system so
    i have portability. Hence the question

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>I have windows 2000 PRO running on cpxj 650 with 256Mb running Oracle
    >>Server, Oracle AIS server, Oracle Forms Server and an, Apache web
    >>server, and the Oracle webforms client running the application. Used
    >>for training and Demo's.
    >
    > OK.... good news. Thanks!
    >
    > Im wanting to teach myself such things above.... administering Windows
    > server, Exchange server.... but wanted to use laptops as the system so
    > i have portability. Hence the question
    Something to think about, if your planning on buying laptops to build a lab,
    remember they are more $ than even slim desktops or 1U servers from a dot
    bomb. I have a small 12U rack bought surplus, scraped the crud off and
    coated it with a can of spray paint and put some cheap 1U's and cisco gear
    in it for a portable lab.

    > I have a small 12U rack bought surplus, scraped the crud off and
    >coated it with a can of spray paint and put some cheap 1U's and cisco gear
    >in it for a portable lab.

    Good idea!

    Point taken! Maybe the laptop idea isn't such a good one huh?

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >> I have a small 12U rack bought surplus, scraped the crud off and
    >>coated it with a can of spray paint and put some cheap 1U's and cisco gear
    >>in it for a portable lab.
    >
    > Good idea!
    >
    > Point taken! Maybe the laptop idea isn't such a good one huh?

    They have their use. I do a lot of my testlab stuff on my laptop running
    vmware under linux I can run a couple servers without too much problem.

    >They have their use. I do a lot of my testlab stuff on my laptop running
    >vmware under linux I can run a couple servers without too much problem.

    OK.... but Im curious as to which brand/model laptop you have?

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>They have their use. I do a lot of my testlab stuff on my laptop running
    >>vmware under linux I can run a couple servers without too much problem.
    >
    > OK.... but Im curious as to which brand/model laptop you have?
    Mine is a Latitude C400. I replaced the stock 20g 4200rpm drive with a 60G
    5400 rpm and upgraded the ram and run linux for an extra performance boost
    (running xp under vmware under linux is almost as fast as running xp native
    for example). I have 640M ram so far in it and if I limit the vmware
    sessions to 192M each for a couple servers I can have them and X/KDE and
    kmail/web browser running before it will start to hit swap space. I've
    found I can get some stuff like sql2000 to run fine under 192m on w2k under
    a vm session.

    >Mine is a Latitude C400. I replaced the stock 20g 4200rpm drive with a 60G
    >5400 rpm and upgraded the ram and run linux for an extra performance boost
    >(running xp under vmware under linux is almost as fast as running xp native
    >for example). I have 640M ram so far in it and if I limit the vmware
    >sessions to 192M each for a couple servers I can have them and X/KDE and
    >kmail/web browser running before it will start to hit swap space. I've
    >found I can get some stuff like sql2000 to run fine under 192m on w2k under
    >a vm session.

    Cool!

    So you have Linux installed on the laptop.... but use VMWare to run
    "virtual" sessions of Windows XP under that. Correct?

    If yes... that's exactly what I was thinking of doing as well

    Or..... maybe running virtual sessions of Linux under Win XP....again
    using VMWare.

    Which method do you suggest?

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>Mine is a Latitude C400. I replaced the stock 20g 4200rpm drive with a
    >>60G 5400 rpm and upgraded the ram and run linux for an extra performance
    >>boost (running xp under vmware under linux is almost as fast as running xp
    >>native
    >>for example). I have 640M ram so far in it and if I limit the vmware
    >>sessions to 192M each for a couple servers I can have them and X/KDE and
    >>kmail/web browser running before it will start to hit swap space. I've
    >>found I can get some stuff like sql2000 to run fine under 192m on w2k
    >>under a vm session.
    >
    > Cool!
    >
    > So you have Linux installed on the laptop.... but use VMWare to run
    > "virtual" sessions of Windows XP under that. Correct?
    >
    > If yes... that's exactly what I was thinking of doing as well
    >
    > Or..... maybe running virtual sessions of Linux under Win XP....again
    > using VMWare.
    >
    > Which method do you suggest?

    I don't run XP very often anymore, only when I need it for lab purposes (or
    w2k or w2k3 or slowaris x86 or whatever)

    Running windows under vmware under linux works much better. Windows problem
    is it wants to keep as much memory free as possible which results in a lot
    of hard disk access by both unloading unused code and using the swap file.
    Linux will use all available ram before touching the swap file, I never
    even hit swap until I open a could vmware sessions at the same time and I
    don't even have the Ram maxed in the laptop yet. This keeps the system
    much faster because the page in memory isn't sitting in the virtual memory
    and the hard disk isn't being accessed all the time.

    Running Linux (or anything else) under XP was slower because vmware will
    attempt to allocate a bunch of ram for that virtual machine and windows
    will page everything else out to try to keep ram on top of that free. The
    more I use both I see how much better linux is from a design and how much
    worse windows keeps getting as they try to pile more and more on top of a
    bad foundation.

    >Running windows under vmware under linux works much better.

    OK..so then bottomline....when I get ready to buy VMWare.... I should
    get the version that runs under Linux....and runs "virtual" Windows
    machines under Linux?

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>Running windows under vmware under linux works much better.
    >
    > OK..so then bottomline....when I get ready to buy VMWare.... I should
    > get the version that runs under Linux....and runs "virtual" Windows
    > machines under Linux?
    I would. Yes you can get away with running windows under vmware under
    windows, but if you can run linux it just seems so much faster to me.

Dell Laptops PCS Computers