Need info: Upgrading Inspiron 8000 -- memory & OS

I'm considering upgrading my I8000 laptop to max out the amount of ram and
get Win-XP
on it (probably "home" versus "professional").

I can locate the memory for the laptop; should be no problem with getting
it installed.

However, I'm not sure about installing Win-XP. Any comments from those
who've done
this already to this version of the laptop?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob_Myers@raytheon.com wrote:
> I'm considering upgrading my I8000 laptop to max out the amount of ram and
> get Win-XP
> on it (probably "home" versus "professional").
>
> I can locate the memory for the laptop; should be no problem with getting
> it installed.
>
> However, I'm not sure about installing Win-XP. Any comments from those
> who've done
> this already to this version of the laptop?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

My previous laptop was of that generation (IBM T21, P3-800) and XP
worked fine on it. I'd shoot for 512MB of RAM, but it was completely
usable at 256MB.

<Bob_Myers@raytheon.com> wrote:
> I'm considering upgrading my I8000 laptop to max out the amount
> of ram and get Win-XP on it (probably "home" versus "professional").
>
> I can locate the memory for the laptop; should be no problem with
> getting it installed.
>
> However, I'm not sure about installing Win-XP. Any comments from
> those who've done this already to this version of the laptop?

I upgraded an 866Mhz I8000 about 6 mos. ago from ME to XP Home (clean
install, not over-the-top upgrade). It went very smoothly. Before erasing
your current OS, go into Device Manager and write down exactly which
audio/video/nic/modem/touchpad devices you have, then download the correct
XP drivers from the Dell site. I also upgraded to bios v A15 at the same
time.

We went with 384MB ram, and XP runs fine. (This I8000 started with 128MB,
and rather than ditch that sodimm, I merely added a 256 to it. I figured we
could swap in a second 256 later if it seemed too sluggish, but it seems to
be working fine.)