i have a file that has suddenly popped up in the PREFECH folder, all my
attempts to delete it have failed, i get the message, access is denied, make
shure the file is not protected or in use in another programme, the file in
question is frome some helecopter game i deleted over a week ago. normally
iwould not bother with such a trivial thing but when i try to empty PREFECH
it pops up so i have to delete all the PREFECH items one by one , this is not
a pleasant task as sometimes there are over 100 items , thanks in advance john

Do a Google Search for the little program "MoveOnBoot" !! With this utility
you can rename, move, delete "undeletable" files at boot time, before
Windows get's a lock on the file !

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Tom

rich9791" <gingerjohn@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> i have a file that has suddenly popped up in the PREFECH folder, all my
> attempts to delete it have failed, i get the message, access is denied,
> make
> shure the file is not protected or in use in another programme, the file
> in
> question is frome some helecopter game i deleted over a week ago. normally
> iwould not bother with such a trivial thing but when i try to empty
> PREFECH
> it pops up so i have to delete all the PREFECH items one by one , this is
> not
> a pleasant task as sometimes there are over 100 items , thanks in advance
> john

1) Reboot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
2) Type the following:
CD\the exact location of the directory in which the file resides - i.e. cd\
C:\Program Files\Games\Helicopter
Press the <ENTER> button
3) Type the following:
DEL the exact location of the directory in which the file resides - i.e. del
C:\Program Files\Games\Helicopter\stubbornfile.exe
Press the <ENTER> button
4) Type the following:
dir
Press the <ENTER> button
5) Verify the file no longer exists by looking at the directory listing you
produced by typing "dir"
6a) If the file no longer exists, type:
EXIT
Press the <ENTER> button
6b) If the file still exists, type:
attrib the exact location of the directory in which the file resides - i.e.
attrib C:\Program Files\Games\Helicopter\stubbornfile.exe -h
Press the <ENTER> button
7a) If no message is returned, go back to step 3
7b) If a message is returned, it will probably say it's a read only file,
so perform 6b again, but use -r instead of -h.
8a) If that returns a message stating it's a hidden file, repeat 6b once
again, but use both -r and -h - i.e. attrib C:\Program
Files\Games\Helicopter\stubbornfile.exe -r -h
8b) if it's for a system file, then -s

***For more information about the attrib program, at the command prompt, type:
attrib /?
Press enter

Use this, it's called Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

"rich9791" <gingerjohn@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> i have a file that has suddenly popped up in the PREFECH folder, all my
> attempts to delete it have failed, i get the message, access is denied,
> make
> shure the file is not protected or in use in another programme, the file
> in
> question is frome some helecopter game i deleted over a week ago. normally
> iwould not bother with such a trivial thing but when i try to empty
> PREFECH
> it pops up so i have to delete all the PREFECH items one by one , this is
> not
> a pleasant task as sometimes there are over 100 items , thanks in advance
> john

thanks pcbutts , worked a treat

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Use this, it's called Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

> "rich9791" <gingerjohn@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > i have a file that has suddenly popped up in the PREFECH folder, all my
> > attempts to delete it have failed, i get the message, access is denied,
> > make
> > shure the file is not protected or in use in another programme, the file
> > in
> > question is frome some helecopter game i deleted over a week ago. normally
> > iwould not bother with such a trivial thing but when i try to empty
> > PREFECH
> > it pops up so i have to delete all the PREFECH items one by one , this is
> > not
> > a pleasant task as sometimes there are over 100 items , thanks in advance
> > john

You're welcome.