Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Microsoft validation

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 4:12:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.

More about : microsoft validation

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:28:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
> allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
>
If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate. If
you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you will be
given options as to how to correct this.

If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take the
steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical updates to
your operating system.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:53:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898588

Steve T wrote:

> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
> allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:53:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I don't have a problem with MS validating that my OS is legit. I just don't
think it's any of their business whether I'm running PhotoShop or Corel's
Paint Shop Pro. The same versus Quicken versus Microsoft Money. They can
validate their own software all they want, just leave the other items alone.
None of their business and it should not be allowed to be tabulated in some
database for someone's use. Thanks, Steve T.
"Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o NINGWenFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898588
>
> Steve T wrote:
>
>> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
>> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
>> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
>> allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
>
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:12:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The statements mentioned in this thread are not all correct. First , genuine
windows validation tool is flawed. It has been proven to validate a copy of
Linux operating system running windows emulation software as "genuine
windows software Second, it has been proven to fail validation for legal
licensed copies of genuine Windows software. Third, if your computer fails
validation, you can still get critical updates with automatic update enabled.
Fourth, If your computer fails validation you will not be able to manually
download and install non critical updates.
Fifth, there is a workaround if your system fails validation. Open Explorer,
go to tools, internet options, programs, manage add-ons and disable the
active x contol for Windows Genuine Advantage and you will be able to update
via Windows Update Site.

"Steve T" wrote:

> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
> allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:30:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

They've got enough trouble keeping track of where their own software is, I
doubt they care what else you've got installed.

At least not at this point :-)

"Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
news:o VBuH3enFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I don't have a problem with MS validating that my OS is legit. I just don't
>think it's any of their business whether I'm running PhotoShop or Corel's
>Paint Shop Pro. The same versus Quicken versus Microsoft Money. They can
>validate their own software all they want, just leave the other items
>alone. None of their business and it should not be allowed to be tabulated
>in some database for someone's use. Thanks, Steve T.
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o NINGWenFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898588
>>
>> Steve T wrote:
>>
>>> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
>>> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
>>> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate
>>> without allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
>>
>
>
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:44:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Clarification: If the validation comes back stating you do not have a legal
version, you can not get any updates thru Windows Updates ever! Critical
updates are supposed to be allowed thru the Automatic updates.


"Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
news:o BJvCHenFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
> news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
>> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
>> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
>> allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
>>
> If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate. If
> you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you will be
> given options as to how to correct this.
>
> If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take the
> steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical updates
> to your operating system.
>
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 7:47:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jone Doe wrote:
> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
> news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they
>> trying to validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What
>> else? And finally, what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update
>> cease to operate without allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
>>
> If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate.

LOL! A lot of people have had problems validating legit installs.

> If you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you
> will be given options as to how to correct this.

And I have seen illegit copies that have passed validation.

> If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take
> the steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical
> updates to your operating system.

Not from Windows or Microsoft Updates, but you can directly download ALL
Security Updates, and some add-ons to Windows from the download section
of www.microsoft.com.

Unless you are personally guaranteeing that WGA won't screw up under any
circumstance, I suggest you give yourself a little wiggle room when it
comes to WGA's working the way it is supposed to.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 9:09:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:30:12 -0600, "D.Currie"
<dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>They've got enough trouble keeping track of where their own software is, I
>doubt they care what else you've got installed.
>
LOL

For vista,
Here what I think should be done.

Have a full home retail Vista for $50.00
Have a full pro retail Vista for $300.00
Have preinstalled computer included a home retail version.
Have no oem disk.
The upgrade setup would be included with the full retail versions.

Both would have volume licenses and not require activation or Wga.
You would be allowed to install either version on 5 computers.
Because Microsoft would only sell it or just sell it at Microsoft site
and Wal-mart only. Kind of like apple does. It only lets apple and
authorized resellers sell their products.

Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:42:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

jerryrock wrote:

<snip>

> Open
> Explorer, go to tools, internet options, programs, manage add-ons and
> disable the active x contol for Windows Genuine Advantage and you
> will be able to update via Windows Update Site.


Have you actually tried this as of the last round of updates? Seasons
change, and work-arounds die.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
August 10, 2005 10:42:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

yep, workaround still works
"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
news:ueqwPzfnFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> jerryrock wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Open
>> Explorer, go to tools, internet options, programs, manage add-ons and
>> disable the active x contol for Windows Genuine Advantage and you
>> will be able to update via Windows Update Site.
>
>
> Have you actually tried this as of the last round of updates? Seasons
> change, and work-arounds die.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
>
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:26:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I do not think there will be Home or Pro version Retail or OEM of Vista. There will be a Vista Server though

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Greg Ro" <webworm11@yes.lycos.com> wrote in message news:uPPRggfnFHA.3312@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:30:12 -0600, "D.Currie"
> <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>They've got enough trouble keeping track of where their own software is, I
>>doubt they care what else you've got installed.
>>
> LOL
>
> For vista,
> Here what I think should be done.
>
> Have a full home retail Vista for $50.00
> Have a full pro retail Vista for $300.00
> Have preinstalled computer included a home retail version.
> Have no oem disk.
> The upgrade setup would be included with the full retail versions.
>
> Both would have volume licenses and not require activation or Wga.
> You would be allowed to install either version on 5 computers.
> Because Microsoft would only sell it or just sell it at Microsoft site
> and Wal-mart only. Kind of like apple does. It only lets apple and
> authorized resellers sell their products.
>
> Greg Ro
>
>
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:11:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Glen wrote:
> yep, workaround still works

It didn't on Microsoft Update. The previous driver & recommeded updates
that have been ignored previously still are available for download, but
yesterday's security updates don't even show up.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
August 11, 2005 2:24:58 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Use a bit of COM sense :)  and get rid of it then

Jon


"Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
news:o VBuH3enFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I don't have a problem with MS validating that my OS is legit. I just don't
>think it's any of their business whether I'm running PhotoShop or Corel's
>Paint Shop Pro. The same versus Quicken versus Microsoft Money. They can
>validate their own software all they want, just leave the other items
>alone. None of their business and it should not be allowed to be tabulated
>in some database for someone's use. Thanks, Steve T.
> "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o NINGWenFHA.2472@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898588
>>
>> Steve T wrote:
>>
>>> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
>>> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
>>> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate
>>> without allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
>>
>
>
August 11, 2005 3:26:59 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
wrote:

>If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate.

Tell that to all the people running legal copies of XP that the
validation process went belly up on and accused these law abiding
purchasers of the software of stealing.

>you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate,

The pirates have circumvented the validation process just like they
did the activation process so running an illegal copy means nothing to
the pirates being able to get updates.

The only people activation and verification effect are the honest
legal owners of the software while the pirates get a good laugh.
August 11, 2005 3:29:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
wrote:

>
>"Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
>news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

snip
>>
>If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate. If
>you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you will be
>given options as to how to correct this.

Fine but what about the thousands of copies of Windows (legit)
versions that are failing WGA? its a total cock up as usual + there
are many easy ways around it which not entirely down to sloppy coding
IMHO. M$ would rather appear to be dumb as usual than really p..s off
their customers by actually making WGA effective. It looks more like a
big PR exercise for the benefit of the shareholders.
>
>If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take the
>steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical updates to
>your operating system.

Beg to differ but M$ Critical updates will be available WGA or no
because M$ is trying to reduce the number of infected computers in the
world (belatedly) otherwise WTF is SP2 for? They expressly said WGA
will not effect critical updates, being downloaded and applied though
they did not make clear weather they would still work via Windows
Update.

Do you know different?

Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
computers.
>
Jonah
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:29:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

jonah wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
> wrote:
>
>>
>> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
>> news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> snip
>>>
>> If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will
>> validate. If you are not running a legal copy, it will not
>> validate, and you will be given options as to how to correct this.
>
> Fine but what about the thousands of copies of Windows (legit)
> versions that are failing WGA? its a total cock up as usual + there
> are many easy ways around it which not entirely down to sloppy coding
> IMHO. M$ would rather appear to be dumb as usual than really p..s off
> their customers by actually making WGA effective. It looks more like a
> big PR exercise for the benefit of the shareholders.
>>
>> If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take
>> the steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical
>> updates to your operating system.
>
> Beg to differ but M$ Critical updates will be available WGA or no
> because M$ is trying to reduce the number of infected computers in the
> world (belatedly) otherwise WTF is SP2 for? They expressly said WGA
> will not effect critical updates, being downloaded and applied though
> they did not make clear weather they would still work via Windows
> Update.
>
> Do you know different?
>
> Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
> computers.
>>
> Jonah

Actually, MS does allow Critical Updates from some sources after failing
WGA, but not from others. Supposedly you can get them for Automatic
Update, but I haven't tested that myself, since I don't trust it.
Windows and Microsoft Update do not allow downloading Security updates
failing WGA. Getting the security updates from download.microsoft.com
server doesn't require WGA, YET.

MS has already stated that allowing WGA-failed security downloads isn't
gonna last forever.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:29:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:n2vkf1l56bppot29ju0ja4bnbbfp18c6f9@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
>>news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> snip
>>>
>>If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate. If
>>you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you will be
>>given options as to how to correct this.
>
> Fine but what about the thousands of copies of Windows (legit)
> versions that are failing WGA? its a total cock up as usual + there
> are many easy ways around it which not entirely down to sloppy coding
> IMHO. M$ would rather appear to be dumb as usual than really p..s off
> their customers by actually making WGA effective. It looks more like a
> big PR exercise for the benefit of the shareholders.
>>
>>If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take the
>>steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical updates
>>to
>>your operating system.
>
> Beg to differ but M$ Critical updates will be available WGA or no
> because M$ is trying to reduce the number of infected computers in the
> world (belatedly) otherwise WTF is SP2 for? They expressly said WGA
> will not effect critical updates, being downloaded and applied though
> they did not make clear weather they would still work via Windows
> Update.
>
> Do you know different?
>
> Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
> computers.
>>
> Jonah

Yeah, as a matter of fact I do know, since I had a non legit copy of XP
running. I could only get crtical updates by either turning on auto
updates, which I didn't want to do, or using the cheat posted a while back
by a self appointed moderator (lol)
javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') which worked.

My fix was to pay the $140 and get it fixed, getting the new 25 character
validation number and the new XP disk, since the mom and pop store had gone
out of business. I didn't know I wasn't legit, but I sure am now.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:29:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jone Doe wrote:
> "jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:n2vkf1l56bppot29ju0ja4bnbbfp18c6f9@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> snip
>>>>
>>> If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will
>>> validate. If you are not running a legal copy, it will not
>>> validate, and you will be given options as to how to correct this.
>>
>> Fine but what about the thousands of copies of Windows (legit)
>> versions that are failing WGA? its a total cock up as usual + there
>> are many easy ways around it which not entirely down to sloppy coding
>> IMHO. M$ would rather appear to be dumb as usual than really p..s off
>> their customers by actually making WGA effective. It looks more like
>> a big PR exercise for the benefit of the shareholders.
>>>
>>> If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take
>>> the steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get
>>> critical updates to
>>> your operating system.
>>
>> Beg to differ but M$ Critical updates will be available WGA or no
>> because M$ is trying to reduce the number of infected computers in
>> the world (belatedly) otherwise WTF is SP2 for? They expressly said
>> WGA will not effect critical updates, being downloaded and applied
>> though they did not make clear weather they would still work via
>> Windows Update.
>>
>> Do you know different?
>>
>> Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
>> computers.
>>>
>> Jonah
>
> Yeah, as a matter of fact I do know, since I had a non legit copy of
> XP running. I could only get crtical updates by either turning on
> auto updates, which I didn't want to do, or using the cheat posted a
> while back by a self appointed moderator (lol)
> javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') which worked.
>
> My fix was to pay the $140 and get it fixed, getting the new 25
> character validation number and the new XP disk, since the mom and
> pop store had gone out of business. I didn't know I wasn't legit,
> but I sure am now.

No, you just trusted MS's WGA check that your copy of XP was illegit.
To me, that would not be enough proof. WGA is flawed enough to make any
rejection suspect, plus MS just cannot be trusted. It is a legally
proven predatory monopoly and patent infringer, and I don't make it a
habit to put too much trust in any entity so disreputable.

Your copy may have been illegit, but I would take MS's WGA word on it
without further proof. Not even with Billy G swearing on a stack of
Bibles, Korans, Torahs, and Hitchhikers Guides to the Galaxy!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
August 11, 2005 3:39:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:12:32 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
wrote:

>My fix was to pay the $140 and get it fixed, getting the new 25 character
>validation number and the new XP disk, since the mom and pop store had gone
>out of business. I didn't know I wasn't legit, but I sure am now.

With M$'s flawed verification scheme accusing a lot of honest hard
working purchasers of legit copies of XP of being thieves, I don't
think I would have rushed out and thrown $140 into Bills pocket so
quickly without further investigation. Remember, you are dealing with
a company here that was subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
Investigation Committee about its questionable business practices. If
anyone should be suspect of skullduggery, it would be the one already
investigated for such......

Ed
August 11, 2005 3:52:51 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
> computers.
>>
> Jonah

Think the antispyware installs on non-validated machines, but the video
screensaver one doesn't.

In fact, I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually got that
screensaver one to install at all, since it's raised an error both on
validated and non-validated installations in my experience. Possibly a buggy
installer.

The Photo Story installer compels you to upgrade to Windows Media Player 10,
otherwise you're not allowed to install it.

Actually I find it amusing that you have to install this latest spyware from
Microsoft in order to install their antispyware - and the first thing it
does when you install it is try to dial home for "updates". lol

Jon
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:52:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Jon wrote:
>> Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
>> computers.
>>>
>> Jonah
>
> Think the antispyware installs on non-validated machines, but the
> video screensaver one doesn't.
>
> In fact, I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually got that
> screensaver one to install at all, since it's raised an error both on
> validated and non-validated installations in my experience. Possibly
> a buggy installer.
>
> The Photo Story installer compels you to upgrade to Windows Media
> Player 10, otherwise you're not allowed to install it.
>
> Actually I find it amusing that you have to install this latest
> spyware from Microsoft in order to install their antispyware - and
> the first thing it does when you install it is try to dial home for
> "updates". lol
> Jon

Yeah, I got video SS installed and working with the default video on one
machine.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
August 11, 2005 8:25:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> Jon wrote:
>> In fact, I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually got that
>> screensaver one to install at all, since it's raised an error both on
>> validated and non-validated installations in my experience. Possibly
>> a buggy installer.

"kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
news:o 81pWjgnFHA.1092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Yeah, I got video SS installed and working with the default video on one
> machine.
>

ok thanks.. I'll perhaps take another look at it then

Jon
August 12, 2005 3:28:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:39:17 -0400, "kurttrail"
<dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>jonah wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>
>> snip

>
>Actually, MS does allow Critical Updates from some sources after failing
>WGA, but not from others. Supposedly you can get them for Automatic
>Update, but I haven't tested that myself, since I don't trust it.
>Windows and Microsoft Update do not allow downloading Security updates
>failing WGA. Getting the security updates from download.microsoft.com
>server doesn't require WGA, YET.
>
>MS has already stated that allowing WGA-failed security downloads isn't
>gonna last forever.

Yeah Kurt thats what I thought.

I have used the active work around (disable WGA) on a PC I know failed
Validation because it is a pirate copy of XP, the owner asked me to
put a new (legit) copy of XP in for her but I messed with it first. I
updated August Critical Updates via Windows Updates no problems and
downloaded MS Antispyware also without a hitch.

When that goes there are many other work arounds as I am sure you
know.

Personally I am getting into Linux, IMO M$ products require so much
maintenance they are becoming economically unviable especially for
small business users such as myself.

Jonah
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:28:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

jonah wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:39:17 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>> jonah wrote:
>>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:o yayD%23dnFHA.3108@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>>
>>> snip
>
>>
>> Actually, MS does allow Critical Updates from some sources after
>> failing WGA, but not from others. Supposedly you can get them for
>> Automatic Update, but I haven't tested that myself, since I don't
>> trust it. Windows and Microsoft Update do not allow downloading
>> Security updates failing WGA. Getting the security updates from
>> download.microsoft.com server doesn't require WGA, YET.
>>
>> MS has already stated that allowing WGA-failed security downloads
>> isn't gonna last forever.
>
> Yeah Kurt thats what I thought.
>
> I have used the active work around (disable WGA) on a PC I know failed
> Validation because it is a pirate copy of XP, the owner asked me to
> put a new (legit) copy of XP in for her but I messed with it first. I
> updated August Critical Updates via Windows Updates no problems and
> downloaded MS Antispyware also without a hitch.
>
> When that goes there are many other work arounds as I am sure you
> know.
>
> Personally I am getting into Linux, IMO M$ products require so much
> maintenance they are becoming economically unviable especially for
> small business users such as myself.
>
> Jonah

Yep. Between (1) the cost of Windows software, (2) the cost of Windows
maintenance, and (3) the restriction of Windows use, MS is screwing
themselves outta many future purchases of Windows OS's.

Linux has Windows beat on at least 2 out of those three, so Linux is
becoming more & more of an attractive choice of OS.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:28:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:47 -0400, "kurttrail" mselves outta many
future purchases of Windows OS's.
>
>Linux has Windows beat on at least 2 out of those three, so Linux is
>becoming more & more of an attractive choice of OS.
Kurt what do you think about a minimac or other mac os?


Greg R
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:28:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On 2005-08-12, GregRo <webworm11@lycos.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:47 -0400, "kurttrail" mselves outta many
> future purchases of Windows OS's.
>>
>>Linux has Windows beat on at least 2 out of those three, so Linux is
>>becoming more & more of an attractive choice of OS.
> Kurt what do you think about a minimac or other mac os?
>
>
> Greg R

So, when will the mac os be available for the intel/amd cpu?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:28:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

plew@csus_abcdefg.edu wrote:
> On 2005-08-12, GregRo <webworm11@lycos.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:47 -0400, "kurttrail" mselves outta many
>> future purchases of Windows OS's.
>>>
>>> Linux has Windows beat on at least 2 out of those three, so Linux is
>>> becoming more & more of an attractive choice of OS.
>> Kurt what do you think about a minimac or other mac os?
>>
>>
>> Greg R
>
> So, when will the mac os be available for the intel/amd cpu?

Exactly. You'd be a fool to go out and buy a IBM/PPC Mac.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
August 12, 2005 3:35:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:12:06 -0700, jerryrock
<jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The statements mentioned in this thread are not all correct. First , genuine
>windows validation tool is flawed. It has been proven to validate a copy of
>Linux operating system running windows emulation software as "genuine
>windows software Second, it has been proven to fail validation for legal
>licensed copies of genuine Windows software. Third, if your computer fails
>validation, you can still get critical updates with automatic update enabled.
>Fourth, If your computer fails validation you will not be able to manually
>download and install non critical updates.
>Fifth, there is a workaround if your system fails validation. Open Explorer,
>go to tools, internet options, programs, manage add-ons and disable the
>active x contol for Windows Genuine Advantage and you will be able to update
>via Windows Update Site.

Wow where have you been the last month? Didn't know any of that.

8-)

Jonah
>
August 12, 2005 3:38:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:11:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
<dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>Glen wrote:
>> yep, workaround still works
>
>It didn't on Microsoft Update. The previous driver & recommeded updates
>that have been ignored previously still are available for download, but
>yesterday's security updates don't even show up.

Worked for me too, did it yesterday on MS update no problem.

Jonah
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:38:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

jonah wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:11:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>> Glen wrote:
>>> yep, workaround still works
>>
>> It didn't on Microsoft Update. The previous driver & recommeded
>> updates that have been ignored previously still are available for
>> download, but yesterday's security updates don't even show up.
>
> Worked for me too, did it yesterday on MS update no problem.
>
> Jonah

Hmm! Wonder what is gonna on with that?!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 12:14:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:04:23 -0400, "kurttrail"
<dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

>
>Exactly. You'd be a fool to go out and buy a IBM/PPC Mac.

Why? Mac and Linux is more secure than windows. It gets very less
viruses, spyware, adaware. If I tried to install it would need root
access.

Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:36:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

GregRo wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:04:23 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>
>>
>> Exactly. You'd be a fool to go out and buy a IBM/PPC Mac.
>
> Why? Mac and Linux is more secure than windows. It gets very less
> viruses, spyware, adaware. If I tried to install it would need root
> access.
>
> Greg Ro

Mac is in transition to a new computer architecture. PowerPC to Intel.
It would be foolish to buy your first MAC at this point in time before
the switch. And there will be transition pains after the switch, so I
wouldn't recommend being an early adopter of Intel/MAC.

Apple is smart in doing this now, so it will be ready to compete with
new WinVista machines next year, but for the time being, only people
that desperately need to replace an existing MAC should go out and buy a
new one.

Apple was DUMB to introduce the MiniMAC before the transition though.
They should have waited until next year, and introduced it before new
WinVista machines are released.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
!