Microsoft validation

What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
32 answers Last reply
More about microsoft validation

    "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
    > What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
    > validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
    > what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
    > allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.

    If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate. If
    you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you will be
    given options as to how to correct this.

    If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take the
    steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical updates to
    your operating system.

    Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898588

    Steve T wrote:

    > What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
    > validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
    > what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
    > allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.

    I don't have a problem with MS validating that my OS is legit. I just don't
    think it's any of their business whether I'm running PhotoShop or Corel's
    Paint Shop Pro. The same versus Quicken versus Microsoft Money. They can
    validate their own software all they want, just leave the other items alone.
    None of their business and it should not be allowed to be tabulated in some
    database for someone's use. Thanks, Steve T.
    > Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898588
    >
    > Steve T wrote:
    >
    >> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
    >> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
    >> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
    >> allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.

    The statements mentioned in this thread are not all correct. First , genuine
    windows validation tool is flawed. It has been proven to validate a copy of
    Linux operating system running windows emulation software as "genuine
    windows software Second, it has been proven to fail validation for legal
    licensed copies of genuine Windows software. Third, if your computer fails
    validation, you can still get critical updates with automatic update enabled.
    Fourth, If your computer fails validation you will not be able to manually
    download and install non critical updates.
    Fifth, there is a workaround if your system fails validation. Open Explorer,
    go to tools, internet options, programs, manage add-ons and disable the
    active x contol for Windows Genuine Advantage and you will be able to update
    via Windows Update Site.

    "Steve T" wrote:

    > What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
    > validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
    > what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate without
    > allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.

    They've got enough trouble keeping track of where their own software is, I
    doubt they care what else you've got installed.

    At least not at this point :-)

    >I don't have a problem with MS validating that my OS is legit. I just don't
    >think it's any of their business whether I'm running PhotoShop or Corel's
    >Paint Shop Pro. The same versus Quicken versus Microsoft Money. They can
    >validate their own software all they want, just leave the other items
    >alone. None of their business and it should not be allowed to be tabulated
    >in some database for someone's use. Thanks, Steve T.
    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Description of Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA)
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;898588
    >>
    >> Steve T wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they trying to
    >>> validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What else? And finally,
    >>> what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update cease to operate
    >>> without allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.

    Clarification: If the validation comes back stating you do not have a legal
    version, you can not get any updates thru Windows Updates ever! Critical
    updates are supposed to be allowed thru the Automatic updates.

    Jone Doe wrote:
    > "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
    >> What is the above relate to with Windows Update? What are they
    >> trying to validate? The OS? All of MS programs on your PC? What
    >> else? And finally, what is the recommendation ? Will Windows Update
    >> cease to operate without allowing validation? Thanks, Steve T.
    >>
    > If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate.

    LOL! A lot of people have had problems validating legit installs.

    > If you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you
    > will be given options as to how to correct this.

    And I have seen illegit copies that have passed validation.

    > If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take
    > the steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical
    > updates to your operating system.

    Not from Windows or Microsoft Updates, but you can directly download ALL
    Security Updates, and some add-ons to Windows from the download section
    of www.microsoft.com.

    Unless you are personally guaranteeing that WGA won't screw up under any
    circumstance, I suggest you give yourself a little wiggle room when it
    comes to WGA's working the way it is supposed to.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:30:12 -0600, "D.Currie"
    <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >They've got enough trouble keeping track of where their own software is, I
    >doubt they care what else you've got installed.

    LOL

    For vista,
    Here what I think should be done.

    Have a full home retail Vista for $50.00
    Have a full pro retail Vista for $300.00
    Have preinstalled computer included a home retail version.
    Have no oem disk.
    The upgrade setup would be included with the full retail versions.

    Both would have volume licenses and not require activation or Wga.
    You would be allowed to install either version on 5 computers.
    Because Microsoft would only sell it or just sell it at Microsoft site
    and Wal-mart only. Kind of like apple does. It only lets apple and
    authorized resellers sell their products.

    Greg Ro

    jerryrock wrote:

    <snip>

    > Open
    > Explorer, go to tools, internet options, programs, manage add-ons and
    > disable the active x contol for Windows Genuine Advantage and you
    > will be able to update via Windows Update Site.

    Have you actually tried this as of the last round of updates? Seasons
    change, and work-arounds die.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    yep, workaround still works
    > jerryrock wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> Open
    >> Explorer, go to tools, internet options, programs, manage add-ons and
    >> disable the active x contol for Windows Genuine Advantage and you
    >> will be able to update via Windows Update Site.
    >

    > Have you actually tried this as of the last round of updates? Seasons
    > change, and work-arounds die.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    I do not think there will be Home or Pro version Retail or OEM of Vista. There will be a Vista Server though

    --
    Peter

    Glen wrote:
    > yep, workaround still works

    It didn't on Microsoft Update. The previous driver & recommeded updates
    that have been ignored previously still are available for download, but
    yesterday's security updates don't even show up.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Use a bit of COM sense :) and get rid of it then

    Jon

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
    wrote:

    >If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate.

    Tell that to all the people running legal copies of XP that the
    validation process went belly up on and accused these law abiding
    purchasers of the software of stealing.

    >you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate,

    The pirates have circumvented the validation process just like they
    did the activation process so running an illegal copy means nothing to
    the pirates being able to get updates.

    The only people activation and verification effect are the honest
    legal owners of the software while the pirates get a good laugh.

    wrote:

    >"Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message

    snip

    >If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate. If
    >you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you will be
    >given options as to how to correct this.

    Fine but what about the thousands of copies of Windows (legit)
    versions that are failing WGA? its a total cock up as usual + there
    are many easy ways around it which not entirely down to sloppy coding
    IMHO. M$ would rather appear to be dumb as usual than really p..s off
    their customers by actually making WGA effective. It looks more like a
    big PR exercise for the benefit of the shareholders.

    >If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take the
    >steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical updates to
    >your operating system.

    Beg to differ but M$ Critical updates will be available WGA or no
    because M$ is trying to reduce the number of infected computers in the
    world (belatedly) otherwise WTF is SP2 for? They expressly said WGA
    will not effect critical updates, being downloaded and applied though
    they did not make clear weather they would still work via Windows
    Update.

    Do you know different?

    Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
    computers.

    Jonah

    jonah wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
    >
    > snip
    >>>
    >> If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will
    >> validate. If you are not running a legal copy, it will not
    >> validate, and you will be given options as to how to correct this.
    >
    > Fine but what about the thousands of copies of Windows (legit)
    > versions that are failing WGA? its a total cock up as usual + there
    > are many easy ways around it which not entirely down to sloppy coding
    > IMHO. M$ would rather appear to be dumb as usual than really p..s off
    > their customers by actually making WGA effective. It looks more like a
    > big PR exercise for the benefit of the shareholders.
    >>
    >> If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take
    >> the steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical
    >> updates to your operating system.
    >
    > Beg to differ but M$ Critical updates will be available WGA or no
    > because M$ is trying to reduce the number of infected computers in the
    > world (belatedly) otherwise WTF is SP2 for? They expressly said WGA
    > will not effect critical updates, being downloaded and applied though
    > they did not make clear weather they would still work via Windows
    > Update.
    >
    > Do you know different?
    >
    > Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
    > computers.
    >>
    > Jonah

    Actually, MS does allow Critical Updates from some sources after failing
    WGA, but not from others. Supposedly you can get them for Automatic
    Update, but I haven't tested that myself, since I don't trust it.
    Windows and Microsoft Update do not allow downloading Security updates
    failing WGA. Getting the security updates from download.microsoft.com
    server doesn't require WGA, YET.

    MS has already stated that allowing WGA-failed security downloads isn't
    gonna last forever.

    --

    "jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
    >
    > snip
    >>>
    >>If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will validate. If
    >>you are not running a legal copy, it will not validate, and you will be
    >>given options as to how to correct this.
    >
    > Fine but what about the thousands of copies of Windows (legit)
    > versions that are failing WGA? its a total cock up as usual + there
    > are many easy ways around it which not entirely down to sloppy coding
    > IMHO. M$ would rather appear to be dumb as usual than really p..s off
    > their customers by actually making WGA effective. It looks more like a
    > big PR exercise for the benefit of the shareholders.
    >>
    >>If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take the
    >>steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get critical updates
    >>your operating system.
    >
    > Beg to differ but M$ Critical updates will be available WGA or no
    > because M$ is trying to reduce the number of infected computers in the
    > world (belatedly) otherwise WTF is SP2 for? They expressly said WGA
    > will not effect critical updates, being downloaded and applied though
    > they did not make clear weather they would still work via Windows
    > Update.
    >
    > Do you know different?
    >
    > Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
    > computers.
    >>
    > Jonah

    Yeah, as a matter of fact I do know, since I had a non legit copy of XP
    running. I could only get crtical updates by either turning on auto
    updates, which I didn't want to do, or using the cheat posted a while back
    by a self appointed moderator (lol)
    javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') which worked.

    My fix was to pay the $140 and get it fixed, getting the new 25 character
    validation number and the new XP disk, since the mom and pop store had gone
    out of business. I didn't know I wasn't legit, but I sure am now.

    Jone Doe wrote:
    > "jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> snip
    >>>>
    >>> If you are running a legal copy of XP, no worries. It will
    >>> validate. If you are not running a legal copy, it will not
    >>> validate, and you will be given options as to how to correct this.
    >>
    >> Fine but what about the thousands of copies of Windows (legit)
    >> versions that are failing WGA? its a total cock up as usual + there
    >> are many easy ways around it which not entirely down to sloppy coding
    >> IMHO. M$ would rather appear to be dumb as usual than really p..s off
    >> their customers by actually making WGA effective. It looks more like
    >> a big PR exercise for the benefit of the shareholders.
    >>>
    >>> If you are not running a legal operating system, and you don't take
    >>> the steps to validate it, you will no longer be able to get
    >>> critical updates to
    >>> your operating system.
    >>
    >> Beg to differ but M$ Critical updates will be available WGA or no
    >> because M$ is trying to reduce the number of infected computers in
    >> the world (belatedly) otherwise WTF is SP2 for? They expressly said
    >> WGA will not effect critical updates, being downloaded and applied
    >> though they did not make clear weather they would still work via
    >> Windows Update.
    >>
    >> Do you know different?
    >>
    >> Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
    >> computers.
    >>>
    >> Jonah
    >
    > Yeah, as a matter of fact I do know, since I had a non legit copy of
    > XP running. I could only get crtical updates by either turning on
    > auto updates, which I didn't want to do, or using the cheat posted a
    > while back by a self appointed moderator (lol)
    > javascript:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all') which worked.
    >
    > My fix was to pay the $140 and get it fixed, getting the new 25
    > character validation number and the new XP disk, since the mom and
    > pop store had gone out of business. I didn't know I wasn't legit,
    > but I sure am now.

    No, you just trusted MS's WGA check that your copy of XP was illegit.
    To me, that would not be enough proof. WGA is flawed enough to make any
    rejection suspect, plus MS just cannot be trusted. It is a legally
    proven predatory monopoly and patent infringer, and I don't make it a
    habit to put too much trust in any entity so disreputable.

    Your copy may have been illegit, but I would take MS's WGA word on it
    without further proof. Not even with Billy G swearing on a stack of
    Bibles, Korans, Torahs, and Hitchhikers Guides to the Galaxy!

    --

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:12:32 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
    wrote:

    >My fix was to pay the $140 and get it fixed, getting the new 25 character
    >validation number and the new XP disk, since the mom and pop store had gone
    >out of business. I didn't know I wasn't legit, but I sure am now.

    With M$'s flawed verification scheme accusing a lot of honest hard
    working purchasers of legit copies of XP of being thieves, I don't
    think I would have rushed out and thrown $140 into Bills pocket so
    quickly without further investigation. Remember, you are dealing with
    a company here that was subpoenaed to appear before a Senate
    Investigation Committee about its questionable business practices. If
    anyone should be suspect of skullduggery, it would be the one already
    investigated for such......

    Ed

    > Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
    > computers.
    >>
    > Jonah

    Think the antispyware installs on non-validated machines, but the video
    screensaver one doesn't.

    In fact, I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually got that
    screensaver one to install at all, since it's raised an error both on
    validated and non-validated installations in my experience. Possibly a buggy
    installer.

    The Photo Story installer compels you to upgrade to Windows Media Player 10,
    otherwise you're not allowed to install it.

    Actually I find it amusing that you have to install this latest spyware from
    Microsoft in order to install their antispyware - and the first thing it
    does when you install it is try to dial home for "updates". lol

    Jon
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Jon wrote:
    >> Freebies like MS Antispyware for eg is however blocked on non legit
    >> computers.
    >>>
    >> Jonah
    >
    > Think the antispyware installs on non-validated machines, but the
    > video screensaver one doesn't.
    >
    > In fact, I'd be interested to know if anyone has actually got that
    > screensaver one to install at all, since it's raised an error both on
    > validated and non-validated installations in my experience. Possibly
    > a buggy installer.
    >
    > The Photo Story installer compels you to upgrade to Windows Media
    > Player 10, otherwise you're not allowed to install it.
    >
    > Actually I find it amusing that you have to install this latest
    > spyware from Microsoft in order to install their antispyware - and
    > the first thing it does when you install it is try to dial home for
    > "updates". lol
    > Jon

    Yeah, I got video SS installed and working with the default video on one
    machine.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Yeah, I got video SS installed and working with the default video on one
    > machine.

    ok thanks.. I'll perhaps take another look at it then

    Jon
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:39:17 -0400, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >jonah wrote:
    >> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:28:40 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Steve T" <stumas@NOBINGOcharter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> snip

    >Actually, MS does allow Critical Updates from some sources after failing
    >WGA, but not from others. Supposedly you can get them for Automatic
    >Update, but I haven't tested that myself, since I don't trust it.
    >Windows and Microsoft Update do not allow downloading Security updates
    >failing WGA. Getting the security updates from download.microsoft.com
    >server doesn't require WGA, YET.
    >
    >MS has already stated that allowing WGA-failed security downloads isn't
    >gonna last forever.

    Yeah Kurt thats what I thought.

    I have used the active work around (disable WGA) on a PC I know failed
    Validation because it is a pirate copy of XP, the owner asked me to
    put a new (legit) copy of XP in for her but I messed with it first. I
    updated August Critical Updates via Windows Updates no problems and
    downloaded MS Antispyware also without a hitch.

    When that goes there are many other work arounds as I am sure you
    know.

    Personally I am getting into Linux, IMO M$ products require so much
    maintenance they are becoming economically unviable especially for
    small business users such as myself.

    Jonah
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    jonah wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 18:39:17 -0400, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >
    >> jonah wrote:

    >>> snip
    >

    >> Actually, MS does allow Critical Updates from some sources after
    >> failing WGA, but not from others. Supposedly you can get them for
    >> Automatic Update, but I haven't tested that myself, since I don't
    >> trust it. Windows and Microsoft Update do not allow downloading
    >> Security updates failing WGA. Getting the security updates from
    >> download.microsoft.com server doesn't require WGA, YET.
    >>
    >> MS has already stated that allowing WGA-failed security downloads
    >> isn't gonna last forever.
    >
    > Yeah Kurt thats what I thought.
    >
    > I have used the active work around (disable WGA) on a PC I know failed
    > Validation because it is a pirate copy of XP, the owner asked me to
    > put a new (legit) copy of XP in for her but I messed with it first. I
    > updated August Critical Updates via Windows Updates no problems and
    > downloaded MS Antispyware also without a hitch.
    >
    > When that goes there are many other work arounds as I am sure you
    > know.
    >
    > Personally I am getting into Linux, IMO M$ products require so much
    > maintenance they are becoming economically unviable especially for
    > small business users such as myself.
    >
    > Jonah

    Yep. Between (1) the cost of Windows software, (2) the cost of Windows
    maintenance, and (3) the restriction of Windows use, MS is screwing
    themselves outta many future purchases of Windows OS's.

    Linux has Windows beat on at least 2 out of those three, so Linux is
    becoming more & more of an attractive choice of OS.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:47 -0400, "kurttrail" mselves outta many
    future purchases of Windows OS's.

    >Linux has Windows beat on at least 2 out of those three, so Linux is
    >becoming more & more of an attractive choice of OS.
    Kurt what do you think about a minimac or other mac os?

    Greg R
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On 2005-08-12, GregRo <webworm11@lycos.com> wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:47 -0400, "kurttrail" mselves outta many
    > future purchases of Windows OS's.
    >>
    >>Linux has Windows beat on at least 2 out of those three, so Linux is
    >>becoming more & more of an attractive choice of OS.
    > Kurt what do you think about a minimac or other mac os?
    >

    > Greg R

    So, when will the mac os be available for the intel/amd cpu?
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    plew@csus_abcdefg.edu wrote:
    > On 2005-08-12, GregRo <webworm11@lycos.com> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 19:15:47 -0400, "kurttrail" mselves outta many
    >> future purchases of Windows OS's.
    >>>
    >>> Linux has Windows beat on at least 2 out of those three, so Linux is
    >>> becoming more & more of an attractive choice of OS.
    >> Kurt what do you think about a minimac or other mac os?
    >>

    >> Greg R
    >
    > So, when will the mac os be available for the intel/amd cpu?

    Exactly. You'd be a fool to go out and buy a IBM/PPC Mac.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:12:06 -0700, jerryrock
    <jerryrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >The statements mentioned in this thread are not all correct. First , genuine
    >windows validation tool is flawed. It has been proven to validate a copy of
    >Linux operating system running windows emulation software as "genuine
    >windows software Second, it has been proven to fail validation for legal
    >licensed copies of genuine Windows software. Third, if your computer fails
    >validation, you can still get critical updates with automatic update enabled.
    >Fourth, If your computer fails validation you will not be able to manually
    >download and install non critical updates.
    >Fifth, there is a workaround if your system fails validation. Open Explorer,
    >go to tools, internet options, programs, manage add-ons and disable the
    >active x contol for Windows Genuine Advantage and you will be able to update
    >via Windows Update Site.

    Wow where have you been the last month? Didn't know any of that.

    8-)

    Jonah

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:11:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >Glen wrote:
    >> yep, workaround still works
    >
    >It didn't on Microsoft Update. The previous driver & recommeded updates
    >that have been ignored previously still are available for download, but
    >yesterday's security updates don't even show up.

    Worked for me too, did it yesterday on MS update no problem.

    Jonah
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    jonah wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:11:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Glen wrote:
    >>> yep, workaround still works
    >>
    >> It didn't on Microsoft Update. The previous driver & recommeded
    >> updates that have been ignored previously still are available for
    >> download, but yesterday's security updates don't even show up.
    >
    > Worked for me too, did it yesterday on MS update no problem.
    >
    > Jonah

    Hmm! Wonder what is gonna on with that?!

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:04:23 -0400, "kurttrail"
    <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:

    >Exactly. You'd be a fool to go out and buy a IBM/PPC Mac.

    Why? Mac and Linux is more secure than windows. It gets very less
    viruses, spyware, adaware. If I tried to install it would need root
    access.

    Greg Ro
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    GregRo wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:04:23 -0400, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    >

    >> Exactly. You'd be a fool to go out and buy a IBM/PPC Mac.
    >
    > Why? Mac and Linux is more secure than windows. It gets very less
    > viruses, spyware, adaware. If I tried to install it would need root
    > access.
    >
    > Greg Ro

    Mac is in transition to a new computer architecture. PowerPC to Intel.
    It would be foolish to buy your first MAC at this point in time before
    the switch. And there will be transition pains after the switch, so I
    wouldn't recommend being an early adopter of Intel/MAC.

    Apple is smart in doing this now, so it will be ready to compete with
    new WinVista machines next year, but for the time being, only people
    that desperately need to replace an existing MAC should go out and buy a
    new one.

    Apple was DUMB to introduce the MiniMAC before the transition though.
    They should have waited until next year, and introduced it before new
    WinVista machines are released.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt