Sign in with
Your question

Taking apart a dell 2408WFP

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 4, 2010 9:41:22 PM

It has been overheating and my friend who is an electrician said to open it up and clean the insides (i've had the thing about 2 years now and bought it from ebay) But i have just spent the last 2 hours trying to get in, the case is solid, how does one remove the casing short of forcing it off (and ruining it)

More about : taking dell 2408wfp

January 5, 2010 2:56:04 PM

It's a monitor! How would you open up a monitor to clean it? almost all the monitors, if not all, are sealed so a regular costumer won't open them up and ruin them.

If your friend is an electrician, invite him over, and ask him to do it. I wouldn't recommend to any one who is not an authorized technician of the manufacturer itself to open up a monitor, especially not to an average user (Assuming that you are, according to your question).
Related resources
January 26, 2010 7:20:27 PM

Is it overheating to the point that images are getting distorted in some way, or do you just think it's running hot? I have one, and it does tend to run hot, but that's normal. If the image looks fine, I wouldn't worry about it - you're likely to damage it if you try to take it apart.
June 24, 2011 10:44:37 AM

l_r_c_t said:
It's a monitor! How would you open up a monitor to clean it? almost all the monitors, if not all, are sealed so a regular costumer won't open them up and ruin them.

If your friend is an electrician, invite him over, and ask him to do it. I wouldn't recommend to any one who is not an authorized technician of the manufacturer itself to open up a monitor, especially not to an average user (Assuming that you are, according to your question).

Hi, l_r_c_t... I think that your answer is a bit pedantic

Everybody,
I also have one such monitor and there is something (sounds metallic -don't ask in what way) rattling inside
The monitor has worked so far and I would like to open it just to remove the moving bit and avoid a short cirguit that could damage an otherwise excellent monitor
While I would not go into board repairs I am more than OK with just taking the rattling b it away.
But the monitor is more like a puzzle to open than anything else and I would appreciate some guidance with taking the back off, pretty please, if anybody knows how
!