Someone has changed the password for the administrator account on my
computer. Now I can only sign on as a guest. I am unable to run some
programs and perform admin tasks because of this. How can I recover my
password or change it back?

"montgomeryballet" <montgomeryballet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:661DC92B-8837-48FB-B5B0-3DDBE2A57059@microsoft.com...
> Someone has changed the password for the administrator account on my
> computer. Now I can only sign on as a guest. I am unable to run some
> programs and perform admin tasks because of this. How can I recover my
> password or change it back?

ask the system administrator for the new password.

If this computer is a "stand-alone" PC not part of the larger "office"
network, what can the O.P. do? They were the system administrator.

"Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message

> "montgomeryballet" <montgomeryballet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:661DC92B-8837-48FB-B5B0-3DDBE2A57059@microsoft.com...
>> Someone has changed the password for the administrator account on my
>> computer. Now I can only sign on as a guest. I am unable to run some
>> programs and perform admin tasks because of this. How can I recover my
>> password or change it back?
>
> ask the system administrator for the new password.

"montgomeryballet" <montgomeryballet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:661DC92B-8837-48FB-B5B0-3DDBE2A57059@microsoft.com...

> Someone has changed the password for the administrator account on my
> computer. Now I can only sign on as a guest. I am unable to run some
> programs and perform admin tasks because of this. How can I recover my
> password or change it back?

I find it interesting that "Someone" has become the new "my dog ate it!"
You need to find out who this "someone" is. If he's the System's
Administrator at work, he probably doesn't want you to have administrator
privileges. If this is a home machine, it's likely that there is no
"someone" but that you have forgotten the password or it is actually blank.

Gordon

montgomeryballet wrote:
> Someone has changed the password for the administrator account on my
> computer. Now I can only sign on as a guest. I am unable to run some
> programs and perform admin tasks because of this. How can I recover
> my password or change it back?

Then you must have allowed them to find out the password of the
administrator account.
Learn a lesson from this.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

montgomeryballet wrote:

> Someone has changed the password for the administrator account on my
> computer. Now I can only sign on as a guest. I am unable to run some
> programs and perform admin tasks because of this. How can I recover my
> password or change it back?

This is where the built in "Administrator" account comes in. If XP Pro
boot up and at the welcome screen do ctrl-alt-del twice to bring in the
login window. Type administrator as the user name and enter the
password that was assigned to this account when XP Pro was installed.
If you don't remember try leaving it blank and click ok.

For XP Home boot into safe mode. Reboot the computer and just after the
BIOS screen disappears repeatedly tap the F8 key until you get the
advanced options menu one choice of which is safe mode. Choose that,
then at the welcome screen choose the Administrator account. Assume the
password is blank.

If neither of these work then see this site which works for XP:

Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User