stealth_blade

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2003
2.53 ghz P4 or an athlong xp 2500+ Barton?
Barton's cheaper, but im a little bit concerned about the athlon's tenedency to self destruct if the heat sink falls off, and yes, it has happened to people i know

also id probably have to go to an aftermarket cooler to keep temp down on the chip which would run about 60 canadian

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If you overclock, then buy AXP "Barton" 2500+

If you don't, then buy AXP "T-bred B"2600+ (333 MHz FSB)

Submit your opinion <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28537#28537" target="_new"> Should Tom Fire Omid? </A>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Athlons dont have that problem anymore, as long as you buy a decent motherboard it will have built in circuitry so that if the CPU temp goes over about 80C it will shut down your comp. Also, the new Athlons dont run that hot at all. My overclocked cjip is running 36C under full load, 29C ATM.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I´d go with the quite respectable P4 2.53Ghz If I were you. The barton is not that much of a performer as its rating indicates... Alternatively, you <i>could</i> go with the 2600+ from AMD.

As to thermal problems, the newer athlons all deactivate before self-destruct. (all P4s throttle down, having a quite interesting thermal protection that merely slows down the system... not bad, eh?)

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I would go with the Athlon simply because to get the P4 to equal the performance of the Athlon you need a really expensive motherboard to do it where as with the Athlon motherboards are very cheap for top performance. Plus the newer Athlons are the great overclockers. And Athlons no longer suffer from thermal death because they shutdown at high temps with all newer motherboards.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A 2.53 P4 on a IT7 will wipe the floor with almost all other motherboards available, overclocking or not.

The stock P4 heatsink is fine, might I suggest a 2.4B SL6RZ (OEM) or a 2.4B SL6EF (Retail box) that feature a new core with lower voltage by default and a much higher top end. People are reaching 3Ghz with stock HSF and voltage. This CPU and IT7 motherboard are the best budget combo with very high performance available.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv </b>
what´s the point of quoting vk2amv and that (rather unreasonable, by the way) sentence of his? Problems being original? I agree to what you said before quoting vk2amv, but don´t quite understand why you´d defend the 2.53G and quote that...

Unless, of course, you also agree it´s rubbish and are just making a joke.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am sure you are unaware of the history behind the quote. Its more of a joke/painfull reminder.

No problem being original, waiting for someone else to provide me better material.

He has been getting better with his posts, I actually agreed with the THG being biased one.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>