ChestRockwell

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2003
Firstly, I am plugging along with a Duron 950 with an FPKT133+ Mobo. The only thing that saves my system is my Graphics card (Leadtek GF4 Ti4200) which is already looking kinda dated. But thats enough moping. I was wondering if a 2100+ would work in my board. The reason for this is that in South Africa (where I live...) the price jump between an XP2100+ and a XP2200+ is around the equivalent of $100 (US). If a 2100+ will work, would it be the best "bang for my buck" (i.e. would a 1800+ be better performance/price ratio) or should I save my pennies and wait for enough to get a new Mobo (I'm looking at either the ASUS, MSI or EPOX nForce2 boards). The thing is if I do get a really good board (they aren't too expensive down here) the CPU (if I go Barton) will be extremely expensive (unless I just keep my Duron [pfffrt][that was suppressed laughter]).

You guys have been able to help me out pretty good with other problems I've had, so I'm interested to see what you have to say.

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
Absolutely wait and get a new board. That motherboard is not going to support the processor, and it will not be much faster, because it is the bottleneck. At the very least, you need to get a DDR266 motherboard. PC100(133) RAM is too slow anymore.

The graphics card should last you a long while yet, I don't know of any programs that are so intense that the GeForce4 Ti series can't handle with ease.

Water cooling is for the weak. Get liquid nitrogen.